Full size Zoom Brush Hog

Good Afternoon,

I wanted to know if anyone uses the zoom brush hog in the full size model and
    -what your set up was
    -do you only use it seasonally or if there’s a season that you don’t use it
    -do you feel like it catches less fish than the smaller models?

thanks in advance

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    My number one bait. Fish it C-Rig.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    I use the 6" Zoom Brush Hog in the late summer and into early fall immediately after the crayfish molt up here in NW Wisconsin, this occurs in August and runs through Labor Day and it's the time of the year that the crayfish are most vulnerable to smallmouth bass since they are shedding their exoskeletons to grow into a larger shell aka "Soft Shells." After extensive fishing during the crayfish molt period over time, I have found that bigger profiled crayfish imitations seem to do better than a typical 4" sized soft plastic and here the full-size Zoom Brush Hog and the 5.2" RI Double Wide Beaver truly come into their own and catch far more smallmouth bass for me.

Depending upon the bottom terrain and water depth, I am either using a heavy Carolina rig with a 3/4oz VMC Tungsten slider weight if I am running the rig through rocky terrain in deep water areas or I will use a 1/4oz Texas Rig with an old school Gambler "Florida" style rattling nosecone sinker with the screw-in spring to help keep the rig together on shallow gravel/sand/rubble flats leading from the first or secondary break lines. Due to the weight and water depth differences of these two approaches, I prefer to use two different setups that are noted below.

Deep Water Carolina Rig Setup
    • Casting Rod: Evergreen Rapid Gunner RSR
    • Casting Reel: Shimano 20 Conquest 100 DC
    • Mainline: 20# YGK SS112 sinking braid/super ester
    • Leader: 16# Sunline FC100 (FG connection knot)
    • Carolina Weight: 3/4oz VMC Tungsten Slider Weight
    • Hook: 5/0 &6/0 Ryugi Infini Offset Wide Gap Hook
    • Primary Lure: 6" Zoom Brush Hog (Okeechobee Craw and Sprayed Grass are best size our crayfish have a bluish tint when they molt out of their old shells)
    • Secondary Lure: 5.2" RI Double Wide Beaver (Rigged on 6/0 Ryugi Infini hook in the same bluish colors)

Shallow Flat Texas-Rig Setup

• Casting Rod: Evergreen Black Raven Extreme RS (if I need more distance due to clear water or adverse weather conditions, I will switch to the Daiwa Steez RD Texas Rig Special due it's longer rod length, e.g., 6'6" vs 7'1")
    • Casting Reel: Shimano 21 Antares DC
    • Mainline: 20# YGK SS112 sinking braid/super ester
    • Leader: 16# Sunline FC100 (FG connection knot)
    • Texas Rig Weight: 1/4oz Gambler "Florida" rattling screw-in nosecone sinker
    • Hook: 5/0 & 6/0 Ryugi Infini Offset Wide Gap Hook
    • Primary Lure: 6" Zoom Brush Hog (Okeechobee Craw and Sprayed Grass are best size our crayfish have a bluish tint when they molt out of their old shells)
    • Secondary Lure: 5.2" RI Double Wide Beaver (Rigged on 6/0 Ryugi Infini hook in the same bluish colors)

I hope you enjoy using the full size 6" Zoom Brush Hog for the big largemouth bass in your Florida waters and please catch some for those of us in the North Country who still have 3-4 months of "hard" water to endure until the springtime finally arrives.
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

4. Member
    I use a full size brush hog on a C-rig and interchangeable with a jig in the summer and early fall.

5. Member
    I hardly ever throw the full-sized one. The Baby in my go-to T-rig bait.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    My number one bait. Fish it C-Rig.
    Yes sir. Catches big fish too. C-rig a 6” Gambler bacon rind too and hold on.

7. Member
    Wow. Thanks
    I never thought about using it on a C Rig !!
    thanks everyone something to grow on for sure

8. Member
    I flip it Texas rigged. There has been days where I went through an area flipping a Beaver and never caught a fish. Went back through that area with a full size Brush hog. and caught a bunch. Tails tend to grab sticks but it works. Got big fish in a big event on one once. A 10.7

Bought the mold last year. I make them myself so far didn’t fish them that much so nothing to show as of yet. Gotta get the colors down.

10. Member
    Mainly on a carolina rig, I like the midsize on a Texas rig, the midsize Brush hog is a bait that was long overdue.

11. Member
    I also c rig it most of the time usually prespawn and night fishing.
    2016 Phoenix 819 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    Kenny

12. Member
    I have been known to punch the CA Delta with a full size Brush Hog, 2 oz tungsten weight, and a punch skirt. Definitely gets bit but hangs up some as it's punching through.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

13. Member
    Fish it like you would anything else Texas rigged or on the C-rig like others suggested. If they’re biting big baits they’ll bite these all day.
    2009 Triton 18x3 Pro

14. Member
    Flip it with 1 oz or larger weight. Also fish it Texas rig with 1/4 oz weight.

15. Member
    With brass n glass, pegged weight. Go-to Summer night bait on Clearlake, if the big blades aren't workin'. Babies on a shakeyhead for Winter. Watermelon/red, Junebug.....
    A goal without a plan is just a dream.

Texas rig it. 3/8 -1/2 oz weight. 4/0 Gami skip gap hook. Watermelon Red.
    Ranger Z-20, Yamaha F225.

Pitch or flip it texas rigged in some thick hard to cast to stuff and shake it

I'm partial to the Baby Brush Hog on a c-rig.

Did ya'll see this new "Brush Craw"?

Zoom Brush Craw - Tackle Warehouse