Thread: Cold Seizure

Cold Seizure

I know it was a big deal with 2 strokes but is it a threat on 4 strokes? I fished Lake Wedowee this past Saturday and there was a large ABA tournament going on. Water temp was 52ish and OAT below that. I have never witnessed so many boats putting the hammer down within 10-15 seconds of starting. Most were Mercurys but a bunch of SHOs as well. I cringed every time. I still let mine warm up as it is a habit and I believe a “best practice” for longevity of the motor.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 01-23-2023 at 10:40 AM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

I would think, we would be hearing about it. IF it was as big an issue with the 4 stoke as it was the latter 2 strokes-
    After cold seizing a 3.2ltr two stroke I'm in the habit of warming my 4 stroke.

The first year they ran the SHOs, there was a big, unexpectedly cold, tournament in Texas, I remember them reporting several blown SHOs during it. Up here in Montana you better warm your motor up!

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Though not QUITE as common in 4-strokes due to the solid cylinder liner (it lacks ports/openings), it is still entirely possible to cold-seize a 4-stroke engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Question for Don, what temp should the motor be at when throttling up? On my Opti it’s 143 when the T-stats open. What is it on the four strokes? Thanks.

6. Member
    i always warm up and cool down engine never just start and go or shut down and go either
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

7. Member
    Always let my Opti Pro XS warm up before trying to get on plane.

I always thought it was that burst of cold water into the engine when the thermostat opened. Always accelerate when the thermostat is closed.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    A good general rule of thumb is a minimum of 120 degrees F. If you don't get there... don't accelerate over 1500 RPM's.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor