Minn Kota Fortrex vs Maxxum

I'm looking to replace my Maxxum troll motor. I hear some complaints of Fortrex (when stowed) being higher and hard to see past when driving. Is it actually higher than the Maxxum or is it just harder to see thru the aluminum frame?? Thanks for any opinions
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

Quote Originally Posted by McQuaig View Post
    I'm looking to replace my Maxxum troll motor. I hear some complaints of Fortrex (when stowed) being higher and hard to see past when driving. Is it actually higher than the Maxxum or is it just harder to see thru the aluminum frame?? Thanks for any opinions
    It is definitely higher. It was for that reason I never upgraded from a MAXXUM to a Fortrex. I did however upgrade to an Ultrex to get spotlock. It is even more of a sight blocker but I tolerate it.
    If you are thinking of changing to get a more robust bracket and lift assist, the attached document of a DIY lift assist may be of interest.

Attached Files Attached Files

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

3. Member
    Thanks Bill.. I was determined to switch to Fortrex, but after reading a lot, I'm leaning back to the Maxxum for the type of fishing I do. It seems to me the only big difference between the two is the bracket. The head, foot pedal and motors (variable speed) are both the same now. The Maxxum is also 22lbs lighter. That's why I wondered if the Fortrex was higher and harder to see thru as well as maybe being a problem with my cover fitting.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

Thanks Bill.. I was determined to switch to Fortrex, but after reading a lot, I'm leaning back to the Maxxum for the type of fishing I do. It seems to me the only big difference between the two is the bracket. The head, foot pedal and motors (variable speed) are both the same now. The Maxxum is also 22lbs lighter. That's why I wondered if the Fortrex was higher and harder to see thru as well as maybe being a problem with my cover fitting.
    Yes I prefer the MAXXUM as well and the document I sent has some tips to tighten up the bracket in addition to an inexpensive lift assist.
    I still have my motor assembly, I changed the bow guard to one for a Fortrex so I can attach it to my Ultrex mounting bracket by just removing one bolt. I have it for a backup and take it to every out of state event.

Great Trolling Motor!

5. Member
    Very good information....thankyou Bill
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

6. Member
    Both are good trolling motors, I don't have any issues with my Fortrex being too high.

7. Member
    I went from a Maxxum to a Fortrex on my tin Crestliner and any difference in height was not an issue. Boat cover is a bit more snug but still fits. Both are great motors.

8. Member
    Maxxum to me was quieter than Fortrex as well.

9. Member
    I’ve had both and am presently running g an ultrex. I preferred the maxxum as well but that ultrex with spotlock makes it worth the taller bracket. If you maintain the foretrex or ultrex, you can keep them quiet. Just need to stay on top of lubing pivot points
    Respectfully,
    Captain Rab
    V1CO 1:27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the
    world to put to shame the wise; and God has
    chosen the weak things of the world to put to
    shame the things which are mighty

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    Yes I prefer the MAXXUM as well and the document I sent has some tips to tighten up the bracket in addition to an inexpensive lift assist.
    I still have my motor assembly, I changed the bow guard to one for a Fortrex so I can attach it to my Ultrex mounting bracket by just removing one bolt. I have it for a backup and take it to every out of state event.

Great Trolling Motor!
    Hey Bill...I just realized you're the one that originated the pdf of Maxxum "assist" details. I had seen that quite a while ago and it looked like a great upgrade. Thanks for doing that...
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

11. Member
    my 2000 stratos had a maxuum labeled as a evinrude. it was and still is a great TM. the guy who bought my stratos gave it to me when he upgraded to a garmin so I now have it back
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Hey Bill...I just realized you're the one that originated the pdf of Maxxum "assist" details. I had seen that quite a while ago and it looked like a great upgrade. Thanks for doing that...
    You are welcome.
    It has been several years but I still get requests for the PDF. If anyone is interested, it is posted in the Clever Tips and Ideas forum.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    my 2000 stratos had a maxuum labeled as a evinrude.
    I had one too & it was definitely a good motor.