black box on ranger rt198p or rt188

hey ranger owners where have you installed the black box on rt198p or 188? I was thinking the center rod locker to be able access the conduit or the starboard box in front of my built in cooler. I will be installing a garmin 106 ultra , live scope. and 2 humminbird 12s. one bird at console and one at bow. thanks

If it is just the black box, I think the center rod box would be the most convenient and take up less usable space.
    I have a 30AH Lithium battery and the black box in my Starboard locker and am happy with it. This is hooked to my LiveScope and 10 inch Ultra.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    If it is just the black box, I think the center rod box would be the most convenient and take up less usable space.
    I have a 30AH Lithium battery and the black box in my Starboard locker and am happy with it. This is hooked to my LiveScope and 10 inch Ultra.

I think if I go with that starboard hatch I would mount it on the side next to the rod locker. I'm planning to run power back to battery. so my thinking if I use the 9 feet of power cable and add 10 plus feet of 10awg to get there. is there a way to get wires from that hatch to along where the wires run on that side? if I use the center rod locker gonna have to run 8 gauge back to battery

Quote Originally Posted by bassin74 View Post
    I think if I go with that starboard hatch I would mount it on the side next to the rod locker. I'm planning to run power back to battery. so my thinking if I use the 9 feet of power cable and add 10 plus feet of 10awg to get there. is there a way to get wires from that hatch to along where the wires run on that side? if I use the center rod locker gonna have to run 8 gauge back to battery
    On the RT188, Pulling new wires and routing them to the bow requires two pulls:
    1) You can pull new wires into the bilge by removing the cup holder near the shift lever and access the lower tube. Pull one end of the wires back through the tube into the bilge.
    2) the other end of that wire has to be left long enough to reach the bow. To get it there, I prefer to remove the TM foot pedal tray to gain access to the tube that runs back to the console. I run a snake wire from here into the space under the cup holder at the console and attach the end of the new wire. This pulls the wire out under the deck but you still have to drill a hole in the starboard locker and run the wire into there.

There is a more convenient way, however:

Ranger runs a 6 gauge wire from the breaker in the bilge to a spot behind the fuse panel where they attach a 10 gauge wire to power the fuse panel.
    I attached another 10 gauge wire at this connection block and ran it to a Blue Seas fuse panel on the side wall under the console. I removed the cigarette lighter and used that hole to route that 10 gauge wire to the new fuse block instead of trying to pull it through the cramped wire bundle under the console.
    This provides a new fused power source for electronics at the console and by routing through the bulkhead, you can run power to the bow lockers.

I don’t feel that these are very clear instructions but hopefully they will give you an idea.

5. Member
    I have a Ranger RT 188. I installed mine on a heavy piece off wood and stored in center rod box. I ran wires through rod tube and cut a hole in the end.

6. Member

hey Bill do you have pics where you ran the transducer cable at the bow? I figured I be drilling a hole for all my cables in the marine board. was it easy to get the cable from there to starboard compartment? thanks

hey Bill do you have pics where you ran the transducer cable at the bow? I figured I be drilling a hole for all my cables in the marine board. was it easy to get the cable from there to starboard compartment? thanks
    I have a large hole in the front of my recessed foot pedal tray that I ran it through. It is easy to reach the front of the Starboard locker once you remove the tray. You can also drill a hole in the gunnel and cover it with a clamshell.
    However, I have had so many different graphs and other wiring on the bow that I have created a huge mess. I am about ready to clean it all up.

8. Member
    I have a large hole in the front of my recessed foot pedal tray that I ran it through. It is easy to reach the front of the Starboard locker once you remove the tray. You can also drill a hole in the gunnel and cover it with a clamshell.
    However, I have had so many different graphs and other wiring on the bow that I have created a huge mess. I am about ready to clean it all up.
    ok thanks. like in the actual fiberglass recessed ? im considering cutting an end off of one rod tubes and run it that way.....I will only be using center locker for tackle. port side locker I'm modifying to fit all my rods

ok thanks. like in the actual fiberglass recessed ?
    Yes - - It is just above the hole where the TM wires go to the foot pedal. However, my boat is an RT188, your recessed tray may be designed differently.

10. Member
    Yes - - It is just above the hole where the TM wires go to the foot pedal. However, my boat is an RT188, your recessed tray may be designed differently.
    ok thank you. I'm planning drilling a hole in marine board for the cables for the graphs. but figured it be to much with that transducer cable too

11. Member
    Is that switch on top to secure power to box when not using livescope

Quote Originally Posted by VBGUNNER View Post
    Is that switch on top to secure power to box when not using livescope
    The “box” is a 30AH Lithium battery. The switch kills power to the mini bus bars to which the LiveScope box and 10 inch Ultra are attached.