Thread: SSR Hub

SSR Hub

Serial # 2b362821. Can the SSR hub(8M0101601) be used with a tempest plus on a 250 2 stroke with the gen 2 torquemaster? Most of the stuff I’ve read applies to the 4 stroke so wanted to confirm it is compatible with the 2 stroke.

2. Member
    i personally have used and sold several with 0 issues for that application
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    I have a 250 2 stroke and run the SSR hub.....have the gen 2....works fine.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

4. Member
    they are way more forgiving on the internals of the GEN 1 AND 2 than the solid metal ones are , shift is so much quieter , we have to cut a lot of wood in these parts
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Just throwing this out there. I along with a couple others on this board had shifting issues and that hub was a big part of the problem. They have several threads about shifting issues. I would suggest borrowing a prop with that hub in it to see if there is an issue. I spent a lot of money and time bringing my motor to different mechanics and the hub was the problem.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuck Grass View Post
    Just throwing this out there. I along with a couple others on this board had shifting issues and that hub was a big part of the problem. They have several threads about shifting issues. I would suggest borrowing a prop with that hub in it to see if there is an issue. I spent a lot of money and time bringing my motor to different mechanics and the hub was the problem.
    What shifting issues were you having, I find it hard to believe this hub would cause your shifting problems. I'm not aware of anything that you described.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

7. Member
    How can a hub cause a shifting issue. Need thread 5 explained to me please.

8. Member
    I’m not trying to start an argument. It may not be an issue with your set up.. Take it for what it’s worth. Read the threads about shift issues. Motor would shift fine on the hose. Put in the water and under a load on the prop and it was hard as hell to get out of forward and back to neutral. Brought it to 4 different shops they checked and changed parts. Charging every time and nothing was fixed. Got expensive. Read about shifting issues on this site and they also tried everything and it ended up being the hub. So, I said what the Hell, I’m going to try to see if it might be my problem. It was. That’s about as good as I can describe (post 5). As I stated. I was just trying to share my experience and maybe avoid the headache for someone else. Carry on……

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    What shifting issues were you having, I find it hard to believe this hub would cause your shifting problems. I'm not aware of anything that you described.
    Under certain circumstances, there have been documented cases where a combination of the SSR Hub, Propeller, specific boat-loading/setup/transom angle- have resulted in a difficult to shift OUT of gear situation.

In each documented case I've seen reported, replacing the SSR hub kit with a traditional (solid) hub resolved the difficulties shifting OUT of gear.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    The above mentioned seems to be a applied torque/geometry issue, which could make sense in certain conditions, hub that can possibly give verses no that doesn't, now that the circumstances have been explained. Shuck Grass, never meant to doubt you, was just looking for a explanation that i could wrap my thought process around. Glad it was taken care of. Shame it was at your expense, if you were not the one that created the situation.
    BassCat Puma
    250 ProXs
    Humminbird Electronic's
    Helix 12 G4
    Solix 12x2 G3
    Mega 360
    Mega Live
    Minn Kota Ultrex MDI
    Relion Batteries
    Dexter Suspension System

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fynns View Post
    The above mentioned seems to be a applied torque/geometry issue, which could make sense in certain conditions, hub that can possibly give verses no that doesn't, now that the circumstances have been explained. Shuck Grass, never meant to doubt you, was just looking for an explanation that i could wrap my thought process around. Glad it was taken care of. Shame it was at your expense, if you were not the one that created the situation.
    No problem. I couldn’t explain as good as EuropeanAm did. I was just trying to share my experience.

12. Member
    Tried this SSR hub today and it was noticeably harder to shift out of gear. Is there any fix or things to try for this other than going back to the racing hub?

13. Member
    internal inspection of sliding mechanism and related parts specially belcrank

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiefisher View Post
    Tried this SSR hub today and it was noticeably harder to shift out of gear. Is there any fix or things to try for this other than going back to the racing hub?
    Depends on your prop pitch/type. Much easier to shift out of gear if the RPM's change slightly (unfortunately the shift position switch won't trigger early enough to compensate for the loading changes this hub makes).

Lower pitch props are less likely to have a problem.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

15. Member
    I have the same shifting issues and I am running the SSR hub with I believe a 24 pitch Fury prop. If my boat isnt idling at 500 Rpm I can not shift it out of gear I have had it looked at twice. It sucks

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The SSR does FANTASTIC on the 4-strokes. Not so much on the Optimax models from what we are hearing on bass rigs (which run higher-pitch props).