Mercury Optimax 250 Pro XS. Serial #2B534825 Lower Unit Paint issue?

Mercury Optimax 250 Pro XS. Serial #2B534825 I recently replaced my lower unit on my 2018 Mercury 250 Pro XS Optimax with a brand new GEN II tourquemaster (wingmaster) from Mercury. I've been out 2 times with it and it runs/shifts great. No issues there. However, ALL of the paint is flaking off of the new lower unit. Not chipping or scraping off. ALL of the paint is flaking off in big chunks. It looks like there is no primer under the paint to me. Anyone ever have this happen? These things aren't cheap and I know I'll scrape most of the paint off over time but I'd like my new unit to look new for a little while. LOL! I am going to take it to the dealer that did the install Monday and have them look at it. I know that is my first step. I was just curious if this was a recent issue that others may have dealt with. Thank you and have a great Day.

Last edited by shapfromla; 01-23-2023 at 04:00 AM.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

2. Member
    yes contact dealer , i have seen several with this problem , replacements and new engines
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you purchased the gearcase NEW, as a RETAIL CONSUMER from an Authorized Mercury Dealer, it has a 1-year Parts and Labor Warranty against defects in materials or workmanship.

Widespread Paint Adhesion problems would likely be covered under the P&A Warranty: You need a copy of your Purchase Receipt matching the above criteria, take that and your engine to any Authorized Mercury Dealer to have a claim filed.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thank you both for chiming in. I purchased a New Torquemaster Gen II Lower unit as a replacement from a reputable mercury dealer. This was done through an insurance claim due to damage on my original lower unit from impact. I took the rig to him last week and he took pictures and is making the claim with Mercury. He was confident that mercury will take care of the issue. I look forward to hearing from them soon. I appreciate you guys taking the time to answer our many questions here.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

5. Member
    You so picky Coupe.

6. Member
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chad202 View Post
    You so picky Coupe.
    I guess when I get old like you I won’t worry about the little things!
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

8. Member
    Lol. I actually cleaned up the front my skeg with PC7, sanded everything, primed with some good building primer and repainted everything. LU looks brand new.