Trailer Fenders Bunks

I just replaced my trailer bunks and while I was at it, decided to re-do the carpeted fender bunks as well. When I started looking at the fender, I noticed that the fender bunks are barely hanging on. The flange on the fenders are completely rusted out. If I remove the bunks, there won't be anything to screw them back to. Has anyone ran into this problem? The only way that I can think to rectify this is to build up the flange with a welder and grind them back to specs. Anyone have any other suggestions. I've actually thought of cutting a black pool noodle and placing it on the flange and secure it with water-proof silicone adhesive. By the way, it's a single axel trailer for a 618 Pro.

2. Member
    When I replaced the wood on my fenders with king board on my old Champion trailer I used 5200. But I didn’t go back with any carpet just the king board so I wasn’t worried about ever taking them back off.

Same problem on a Ranger. Had to replace them. Ranger wanted 2.5 X the cost of aftermarket. Took some looking but found some that would work. Used king board for the backing part of the fender. Did carpet them after I figured out how to get the carpet glue to stick to it.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!