Thread: Inline fuse

Inline fuse

Should inline fuses be located closer to the power source or the unit?
    Or does it matter?

2. Member
    Really doesn't matter, but I would want it close to source, fuse panel, if wiring had a issue...
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Closer to to the power source. It's to protect the wire and prevent it from overheating and setting something on fire.

ABYC says within 7" of the power source for unprotected wires.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    Always the source, that’s where the power is coming from, I’ve seen a situation where the fuse was too far down the line when a short occurred that it didn’t blow the fuse like it should have,
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

5. Member
    The fuse should be right at the source. If not any short before the fuse will not blow any fuse. Of course when the wire melts or the source catches fire the power will eventually stop. After the boat/garage/home is put out by the firemen. Please get someone else with the knowledge to do it. Good luck Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

6. Member
    This accentuates the practicality of Buss Bars and fuse panels. In my opinion, since the majority of electrical units are at the console or bow of the boat, it would make sense to have a dedicated compartment to house a fuse panel at the console. Older (my) bass boats run individual wires back to the battery, which is messy. It would make much more sense to me to have a large circuit breaker at the battery and run some size 1 or larger wires forward to a fuse panel at the console. I guess modern boats have made that move.

7. Member
    I would have it fairly close to the power source but remember one thing, you want it where you can get to it rather quickly. If there is an issue out on the water or at the ramp you want to prevent having to disassemble half your rig just to get to the fuse :)

8. Member
    It seems a lot of people are adding fuse blocks in the console/rod lockers. I have one installed in my rod locker from the factory. So it seems this may be convenient, but not really the best solution for overall protection.

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjxds View Post
    It seems a lot of people are adding fuse blocks in the console/rod lockers. I have one installed in my rod locker from the factory. So it seems this may be convenient, but not really the best solution for overall protection.
    Why not? It’s the perfect way to go.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

10. Member
    As a former aircraft electrician let me explain the reasoning for a fuse block at the console. If you run large wires to the console you have no voltage loss. You also have fuses close to the unit they control. Cartrige fuses are more corrosion prone than blade fuses and blades drop less voltag. Blade fuses are easier to change too and usually you can permanently remove the cartrige holder and fuse.
    Can you imagine the bird nest if every electrical unit wire on an aircraft went to the battery?
    Look at your car or truck. Anything in the last 15 to 30 years or more has dedicated fuse blocks. Two wires to the battery.
    I only have old boats, so I have a sh*tload of wires to the main battery, but if I had my druthers, I'd just have 4 maybe 5, one to an automatic bilge pump, two from the motor, two to a buss bar in the console.
    Last edited by billnorman1; 01-26-2023 at 07:02 AM.