Prop shaft with lil seal grooves

So sn 2B023237 250 Verado lower unit. The prop shaft has grooves where the seals contact it. It did not leak but did chunck the pinion and forward gear. I am wanting to repair it as a spare. Does Mercury or aftermarket make a sleeve that could go over these grooves for a fresh surface? We used to do it to car engines wher front or rear seals had done the same thing. If I have to replace the shaft then it won't be feasable to repair. IMG_20230122_122805[1].jpgIMG_20230122_121919[1].jpg
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

Picture is not very clear; I think they are acceptable to run though. The new seals very likely will also be a few thousands different in seating location. Try to post a clear picture
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    Pics were from phone. The grooves are enough to catch your fingernail on and I agree, I probably can offset the seals a little also. I'll try to get better pics. I just hate to toss a $6-800 shaft.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

4. Member
    normal wear on surface
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Hard to sleeve that area as it's right in the friction-weld and also sees pretty big variances in temp/water/lube on either side. Corrosion resistance also a concern.

Polishing the shaft in that area (slightly) may also be appropriate.

Note: Make sure that you have ALL of the required tools to properly disassemble, reassemble and RESHIM the gearcase to factory standards. Failure to do so is simply throwing your money into the metal scrap pile.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor