Opinions on Megabass Rods please

I’ve been thinking about getting a Megabass rod or two or 3. I’m not sure if I can afford the price point of the Orochi XX unless they really are that much better. Plus, I really prefer foam over cork. Maybe they’re the older models I can’t confirm that but I’ve read some reviews that the Levantes are tip heavy and very unbalanced. I’ve also heard that the cork on Orochi XX has a lot of fillers and is a very cheap cork. Like I said this is just hear say as I’ve never saw either one and never had them in my hands. As far as weight, sensitivity, and balance how do you compare the Levante vs the Orochi XX? If I did get any based on the time of year I would probably start out with the jerkbait special, flatside special, or perfect pitch. If it helps you guys any at all to help me out and give me comparison info right now I use the Tatula Elite rods both regular and AGS guide rods. As far as reels go I use Tatula SVs, Zillions, and Tatula 80s. There’s no possible way I’ll ever get either one in my hand in the area I’m from without buying them so any help would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, if the Orochi is really that much better I could probably swing it but as far as money goes the Levante would probably be better for me.

Alot better choices for the $. Keep lookin'

Like many things you will all kinds of opinions. They are good rods in each price point. Lots of brands out there, but only a few compete with each other. They are in that top 5 group.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    Like many things you will all kinds of opinions. They are good rods in each price point. Lots of brands out there, but only a few compete with each other. They are in that top 5 group.
    Thanks man. That’s really kind of what I figured is way too many opinions and I’d have to experiment for myself. Fishing is definitely a “to each their own”’ kind of sport.

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisbassfishin View Post
    I’ve been thinking about getting a Megabass rod or two or 3. I’m not sure if I can afford the price point of the Orochi XX unless they really are that much better. Plus, I really prefer foam over cork. Maybe they’re the older models I can’t confirm that but I’ve read some reviews that the Levantes are tip heavy and very unbalanced. I’ve also heard that the cork on Orochi XX has a lot of fillers and is a very cheap cork. Like I said this is just hear say as I’ve never saw either one and never had them in my hands. As far as weight, sensitivity, and balance how do you compare the Levante vs the Orochi XX? If I did get any based on the time of year I would probably start out with the jerkbait special, flatside special, or perfect pitch. If it helps you guys any at all to help me out and give me comparison info right now I use the Tatula Elite rods both regular and AGS guide rods. As far as reels go I use Tatula SVs, Zillions, and Tatula 80s. There’s no possible way I’ll ever get either one in my hand in the area I’m from without buying them so any help would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, if the Orochi is really that much better I could probably swing it but as far as money goes the Levante would probably be better for me.
    This is my personal expereince with current Levantes and Orochi XX's.

Levantes I have fished: Perfect Pitch and EMTF, the Perfect Pitch has a slower action thus allowing for a deeper load into the rod, but the sensitivity is lacking a bit compared to other rods in the price point. The EMTF was my choice for single hook moving baits-chatterbaits, spinnerbaits, and some bigger squarebills. Never had a problem with loosing fish once I hooked them and the rod characteristics were again slower then the Orochi XX version which I fished all last season. They are good reaction rods for the price.

Orochi XX-
    EMTF: excellent moving bait rod, treble hooks and single hook 5/8 is tops for weight. If you want to run braid you can fish a jig in sparse cover or in more open water.
    Tour Versatile- great jig rod with lots of power as it's rated as a F6 which is a strong MH, does well with swim jigs, chatterbaits. I loved this rod before upgrading.
    Enforcer-if you're a tube fisherman, this is the rod you want. If you have a friend who can't cast a baitcaster this is the rod you hand to him. Doubles has a light texas rig: 1/8-1/4oz. 7'4 and F4 so plenty of power for big hooksets.
    Whipsnake: Excellent drop shot rod and ned rig rod, tip is soft, but not flimsy and allows for ease of bait manipulation. If you find one used, you'll have a hard time finding a more effective fineese rod.
    Braillist: This rod is tip heavy and likes to point down when fishing, does well from 1/4-5/8oz jigs and I'd be comfortable fishing 3/4 t-rig on it with braid or big flouro(18-20). Very comfortable and confident in this rod's power, action and ablility to detect bites.

I'd sugguest getting a feel for these rods in hand before chasing them down and making a purchase since their price went up $50 bucks and their warranties do not transfer. I know people do not like them, but these are nice rods for the price point and sure there are better rods out, but in the 250-350 it's hard to find a better rod imo. The Tatula Elites are nice, just not a fan of the AGS on the Tatula Elite rods.

Thanks man. That’s really kind of what I figured is way too many opinions and I’d have to experiment for myself. Fishing is definitely a “to each their own”’ kind of sport.
    Get one! You will enjoy it!

7. Member
    If it helps you guys any at all to help me out and give me comparison info right now I use the Tatula Elite rods both regular and AGS guide rods.
    My opinion is you're unlikely to experience much of an improvement with the Levantes, in fact some models might have you going backwards. The AGS Tat Elites were some of the best value rods out there if you can find the right one for your applications, and after the price increase I felt the Levantes were some of the worst money you can spend on a rod. They look cool tho. To me the Zodias are better rods even when they were priced the same.

I've been using Megabass rods for a long time, along with quite a few other high end offerings. I've always considered Megabass to be a premium rod brand and their best efforts shine in their higher end models. The X7 series of old, the Evoluzion series, the ARMS series for the true enthusiast, and now the JDM P5 and imminently to be released US Destroyer P5 series. These are the rods lines that define Megabass in my mind. I have fished the new US Destroyer P5 series, and have a set of the 6 casting rods to be released VERY soon, and they are premium, Megabass class rods, and priced accordingly at about $500 each. These rods compete with Steez AGS and NRX/Conquest level rods for example, and in this elite class of rods, are worthy of consideration based on their application and intended uses as compared to models in other premium rod series.

Levante and Orochi XX are very good rod series overall. Both offer some unique and spectacular rods at their price points when the application meets the capabilities. Take the XX Ronin as an example of a phenomenal jerk bait rod spinning rod first and foremost, with many other uses. If someone was looking for a dedicated, sensitive heavy cover jig rod at the $250ish price point, I probably wouldn't suggest the Levante Perfect Pitch as the best option.

The versatility of Megabass rods is a very strong attraction for me, and has been for a long time. This weekend alone, I fished a 1 oz jig on bluff walls in the current with the Jungle Seven, then threw an umbrella rig effectively and didn't feel like I lost anything. The Daemos, I threw a 2.5 sized square bill, a 1/2 oz Megabass SV-3 spinnerbait, and a 1/2 oz Uoze swimmer. On the Oneten Special I threw of course a Vision 110, a 110+1, and even tossed a Super Z-3. The FMJ was dedicated to a 1/2 oz Keitech casting jig and I was very happy with the feel and performance, and certainly felt like I could go to a bulkier 1/2 oz jig and trailer no problem. I threw both a Deps 145 and Deps 175 Slide Swimmer on the Mark 56 along with a 6" Magdraft and wanted to keep pushing more, but time didn't allow. The BMG handled a 3/4 oz football jig beautifully though that bite wasn't happening... that rod will end up having a LOT of uses. Happy fishing!

Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    I've been using Megabass rods for a long time, along with quite a few other high end offerings. I've always considered Megabass to be a premium rod brand and their best efforts shine in their higher end models. The X7 series of old, the Evoluzion series, the ARMS series for the true enthusiast, and now the JDM P5 and imminently to be released US Destroyer P5 series. These are the rods lines that define Megabass in my mind. I have fished the new US Destroyer P5 series, and have a set of the 6 casting rods to be released VERY soon, and they are premium, Megabass class rods, and priced accordingly at about $500 each. These rods compete with Steez AGS and NRX/Conquest level rods for example, and in this elite class of rods, are worthy of consideration based on their application and intended uses as compared to models in other premium rod series.

Levante and Orochi XX are very good rod series overall. Both offer some unique and spectacular rods at their price points when the application meets the capabilities. Take the XX Ronin as an example of a phenomenal jerk bait rod spinning rod first and foremost, with many other uses. If someone was looking for a dedicated, sensitive heavy cover jig rod at the $250ish price point, I probably wouldn't suggest the Levante Perfect Pitch as the best option.

The versatility of Megabass rods is a very strong attraction for me, and has been for a long time. This weekend alone, I fished a 1 oz jig on bluff walls in the current with the Jungle Seven, then threw an umbrella rig effectively and didn't feel like I lost anything. The Daemos, I threw a 2.5 sized square bill, a 1/2 oz Megabass SV-3 spinnerbait, and a 1/2 oz Uoze swimmer. On the Oneten Special I threw of course a Vision 110, a 110+1, and even tossed a Super Z-3. The FMJ was dedicated to a 1/2 oz Keitech casting jig and I was very happy with the feel and performance, and certainly felt like I could go to a bulkier 1/2 oz jig and trailer no problem. I threw both a Deps 145 and Deps 175 Slide Swimmer on the Mark 56 along with a 6" Magdraft and wanted to keep pushing more, but time didn't allow. The BMG handled a 3/4 oz football jig beautifully though that bite wasn't happening... that rod will end up having a LOT of uses. Happy fishing!

Great summary.

I have been fishing the new P5 FMJ and BMG since early fall. They are always on deck every trip. The FMJ is simply an "it" rod. All of the P5s have been impressive though. I also have a bunch of Levantes and Orochi XX models. They get used a bunch. Its hard to beat the Levante to as an entry into the MB world. They are just as versatile as other lineups we have.

10. Member
    I love my Destroyer Oneten Special and Windbuster with a Whipsnake on the way.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Great summary.

I have been fishing the new P5 FMJ and BMG since early fall. They are always on deck every trip. The FMJ is simply an "it" rod. All of the P5s have been impressive though. I also have a bunch of Levantes and Orochi XX models. They get used a bunch. It’s hard to beat the Levante to as an entry into the MB world. They are just as versatile as other lineups we have.
    Looking back, they weren’t bad rods but they are for sure a gateway rod.

I had all Falcon Caras and then swapped to Levantes. They were fine but something drew me in to wanting Orochis so I upgraded to them…same thing, I wanted more! I upgraded to Destroyers, Valkyries, and Steezs. I wish I would’ve just skipped the bottom and middle tiers and went straight for the top…except for the XX Launcher. That’s a special rod!! I still have 3

12. Member
    Great and highly versatile rods ... even the "dedicated
    " rods
    07 tracker TX 190
    75 horse Mercury
    999 KVD, 859 , and 798 SI HD

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Spooner View Post
    I couldn’t disagree more lol. My megabass rods I’ve bought are the only ones I’ve been very impressed with the aesthetics and workmanship. They are solid in sensitivity, and I like the actions (I only have orochi perfect pitch and Diablo spec r). I like how versatile their lineups are, when I buy my next rod (really don’t need any but you know how that goes), it’ll likely be a braillist or one of the new p5s that are coming out.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

14. Member
    P5’s all the way.. phenomenal versatile rods as Gary mentioned.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Spooner View Post
    +1, nothing had that "it factor" from the orochi rods I ended up selling.

16. Member
    Thanks for everyone’s input that own the rods. I’ll never have enough money to pay that kind of money for a P5 destroyer rod and even if I did I don’t think I could ever bring myself to pay that much for a rod. Just one of those “to each their own” kinds of things I guess. I needed a new jerkbait rod so I ordered the Orochi XX jerkbait special rod. I’ll put a Daiwa Tatula 80 on it and some 10-12 lb sniper fluoro and take it out Saturday and see how I like it.

Thanks for everyone’s input that own the rods. I’ll never have enough money to pay that kind of money for a P5 destroyer rod and even if I did I don’t think I could ever bring myself to pay that much for a rod. Just one of those “to each their own” kinds of things I guess. I needed a new jerkbait rod so I ordered the Orochi XX jerkbait special rod. I’ll put a Daiwa Tatula 80 on it and some 10-12 lb sniper fluoro and take it out Saturday and see how I like it.
    Let us know your thoughts after a few trips.