Best way to switch to grease

I have a 98 tandem ranger trailer with cool hubs. I want to switch to grease. Was thinking about adding a zerk between the seal and back bearing and pumping grease to the front bearing. Or drill a hole there and use a buddy bearing cap until grease comes out hole then plug hole. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thx

If it were me, I'd hand pack the hubs with grease and put bearing buddies caps on the ends. I would never mess around drilling holes that might potentially cause a problem.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    If it were me, I'd hand pack the hubs with grease and put bearing buddies caps on the ends. I would never mess around drilling holes that might potentially cause a problem.
    What he said. Thats exactly what I did.

4. Member
    Some grease are not compatable with other types, clean everything and hand pack with a good quality grease and stick to that grease, don't mix.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrancoCialone View Post
    Some grease are not compatable with other types, clean everything and hand pack with a good quality grease and stick to that grease, don't mix.
    I would add: suggest marine grease. There are several and you want a grease that has water resisting qualities!

6. Member
    Lucas Red N Tacky is a good choice for grease. Follow Jeff’s advice
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    Lucas Red N Tacky is a good choice for grease. Follow Jeff’s advice

8. Member
    Lucas Red & Tacky is a great grease but is not marine grease. Compare it to Lucas Marine grease. For trailer wheels that get submerged in water, Lucas marine wins every time!
    Last edited by 5keepers2; 02-15-2023 at 08:21 PM.

^^what he said^^^

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    ^^what he said^^^
    Not really.......Lucas Marine Grease is a Calcium Sulfonate base grease and Dexter who made my axle recommends a Lithium Complex grease.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireball View Post
    Not really.......Lucas Marine Grease is a Calcium Sulfonate base grease and Dexter who made my axle recommends a Lithium Complex grease.
    Lubrimatic Marine Trailer Wheel Bearing grease is Calcuim Sulfonate based and works with disc brake axles, again don't mix, stick to one type of marine grease.