Transom transducer mount question

Guys and Gals,
    I’ve got a 2005 521vx and I just upgraded to a lowrance hds live. When I went to swap the ducer I found that my original(it was there when I bought the boat) was on a transducer shield mounted on a wedge. It’s flush mounted to the step. Has anyone tried this setup vs just flush mounting? I know the idea is that when you’re on high idle it will level out the transducer. I’m just not sure if my boat rides the nose that much. I’ve attached a pic
    Attached Images Attached Images

Best I can tell from that pic is somebody used a TSS trolling motor mount for some kind of jury rig. You don’t need a wedge. Ranger mounts them flush to the step. Don’t think side scan was available in 2005 so somebody did that on their own. If you have a Jackplate, I’d use a TSS mount on the Jackplate.

I have the jack plate mount with an extension, they come in 2 in and 4 in. The set up works fine, and it will read well at low speeds (25-30).

Spanky

4. Member
    Thanks guys! I went to the lake and brought a level yesterday. Came home put the boat back to the same level as the it is at idle, and then checked the level of the transducer…. I was shooting way behind the boat….