Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator

Newbie to the SHO

In a couple of weeks I will be the proud owner of a 2014 Skeeter FX20 with a 2014 250 SHO. I have zero experience with the SHO or any 4 Stroke for that matter. The engine has 194 hours on it. The dealership is servicing it before I pick it up. That service will include engine oil change, lower unit oil change, and water pump kit. My initial thought was to change the water/fuel separator and the fuel filter when I get it home.

I’d like to get some opinions on a few things. I’m very mechanically inclined and did most of the work on my previous two strokes.

1) I need to check with the dealer to see if the timing belt has been changed. If it hasn’t is this something I should go ahead and do?

2) They made me aware to run 89 octane fuel. What other additives or cocktails should I run with the fuel. One side is I have a massive fear of todays fuels. In my current boat if it sits for longer than 2 weeks, even though it’s always treated, I will siphon it out of the boat and use it in one of the vehicles. Gas is expensive but not near as expensive as the issues stale separating gas can cause.

3) Any do’s and don’ts you guys/gals have learned over the years you wouldn’t care to pass along?

I’ve been searching and read for the past couple of days since I signed the agreement. It’s going to be a couple of weeks before I can get the boat picked up due to their back up in the service department.

Appreciate any and all feedback.

Thanks
    Chris

2. Member
    I did everything you suggested maintenance wise also. I use 91 octane non-ethanol with no issues. My used SHO came with a T1 25 pitch prop, which I had professionally worked. It has excellent hole shot, acceleration and runs 69-71 gps on a big heavy Ranger. The water pressure always reads low but is normal for this engine, which is low psi high volume. Everyone tells me it’s normal but not what I was used to. 2.75” prop to pad is the sweet spot for my rig. I suggest buying a Shop Manual. Great engine so far!
    Last edited by jpt7779; 01-24-2023 at 07:10 AM.
    JT

2014 Ranger Z521C / Yamaha VMAX SHO 250 / IONIC Batteries
    Garmin 57” Force TM, ECHOMAP Ultra 106sv’s, LVS34

3. Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    I did everything you suggested maintenance wise also. I use 91 octane non-ethanol with no issues. My used SHO came with a T1 25 pitch prop, which I had professionally worked. It has excellent hole shot, acceleration and runs 69-71 gps on a big heavy Ranger. The water pressure always reads low but is normal for this engine, which is low psi high volume. Everyone tells me it’s normal but not what I was used to. 2.75” pitch to pad is the sweet spot for my rig. I suggest buying a Shop Manual. Great engine so far!
    Thank you!!!

4. Member
    Flash it to a 300 once you get it.

5. Member
    Rude, I suggest asking the dealer if your boat has the NEMA backbone and Yamaha adapter. I can see most engine parameters right on my Garmin units.
    JT

2014 Ranger Z521C / Yamaha VMAX SHO 250 / IONIC Batteries
    Garmin 57” Force TM, ECHOMAP Ultra 106sv’s, LVS34

6. Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Flash it to a 300 once you get it.
    That thought has crossed my mind once or 50. LOL.

7. Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    Rude, I suggest asking the dealer if your boat has the NEMA backbone and Yamaha adapter. I can see most engine parameters right on my Garmin units.
    I plan on it. If it doesn’t then I will be adding it. I run two graphs at the console so I plan on using one to monitor everything.

8. Member
    Change the Yamaha blue filter in the bilge and the filter in the filter cup under the cowling front of the engine. I also would put a fresh set of spark plugs to it. All this is very easy to do. As for timing belt, unless its worn (very unusual with so few hours) don't touch it. I believe timing belt change is somewhere around 1000 hours by the book. I run 89 -93 octane fuel and Yamaha Ring Free Plus in all my fuel.

9. Member
    Also there are 2 additional fuel filters inside the VST (Vapor separator tank) under cowling. Recommended to change them about every 400-500 hours. I highly recommend the NEMA Yamaha interface so you can see engine temps and rpm etc. overlaid on your Console graph screen. I always warm engine up to 120 degrees before running and let it cool down after a run by idling into my fishing area slowly. Only takes a couple minutes extra and is a lot better for the engines longevity!

10. Member
    I would say replace the timing belt, it's 10 years old!! It's a little technical for at home maintenance items. FYI consider it!

RangerZ - IONIC Batteries, Lithiumhub.com

11. Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator
    Thank you all for the info. Can't wait to pick it up and get it out on the water!!!

12. Member
    If the timing belt comes apart while on plane , the motor is junk .