Guide replacement question

I have an older USA made Falcon Bucoo casting rod that needs a couple of micro guides replaced. Provided I can find someone to do it…Can the micro guides be replaced with full sized guides or is the rod designed to be used with the micro guides?

2. Member
    Depending on which guides need to be replaced. Ones toward the reel seat might be good with full size guides,toward the tip,I'd stay with micro. Don't know the shipping cost going to/from Michigan,but Falcon has a guy that fixes all the guides on rods brought/shipped to their store,usually with a one week turnaround,but I don't know who the newer man is,but I knew the man who used to do a great job for them for a long time is no longer alive.

Thanks. I will check that out.

4. Member
    Replacing a guide is very easy to do and takes about 5-10 min plus some time to dry the epoxy. If you’re talking about replacing the damaged guides with a larger size and they’re in the middle of two micro guides then I’d advise against that. You’d disrupt the flow path of the line. If it’s the first couple guides then sure, you can put on 2 or 3 reduction guides that transition to micro.

If you’re wondering if the micro guide train can be removed and replaced with a larger size (conventional or “semi” micro) then absolutely, but it will be costly. Honestly it might cost almost the same amount of money as the BuCoo costs if you pay someone to do it.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

5. Member
    I have a 7'9" rod with true micro guides. I noticed the ceramic missing from the second guide from the tip. I heated the epoxy with a heat gun and removed the guide. I have several broken rods that I have stripped the guides from. I removed with heat the first micro guide in front of the reel seat and placed it on the broken micro guide and placed a 4 or 5mm guide in it's place. Wala, rod repaired for $00000.00

I have never attempted a guide change. Maybe I will do a little research and give it a whirl.

7. Member
    Very easy to do. Check out the Mudhole and Rodbuilder.org youtube channels.

1. take a razor blade and slowly cut down the guide foot.
    2. Peel the epoxy off with your finger nail until you get all of the epoxy off ( )
    3. clean the area with rubbing alcohol.
    4. Wrap the new guide and do a final alignment check ( )
    5. Mix and apply the 2 part epoxy. If you don’t have anything to turn the rod, you can turn it by hand ( ).
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Great info. Thanks