Thumbs Up MEGA 360 Ultrex interference SOLVED 100%

Hey BBC! It's been a while since I've posted, but this was worth sharing.

My MEGA 360 began having INSANE interference any time the trolling motor was activated, with slightly different interference when the trolling motor was turned side to side.

I've spent literally over 100 hours reading, watching videos, isolating and troubling shooting. I've grounded and regrounded and ungrounded everything, rebuilt the trolling motor, etc. All best practices and dedicated 8ga wires are in place, ferrite mix 77 rings, charger disconnected, fuses replaced, etc, but interference WAS STILL PRESENT even after running everything off a separate standalone battery sitting on the garage floor!

I've isolated the cause and the solution clears up 100% of my interference! In my case, the power system was not the issue. The transducer or receiving aspect is where interference was being introduced into the system.

After all this time and money, I HAVE CONFIRMED THE FOLLOWING PROBLEMS:

1) The Ultrex cable bundle emanates interference picked up by my MEGA 360 in the 1mhz range when the trolling motor is activated, but not the 455 range.
    2) The servo that steers the Ultrex at the shaft is especially loud with respect 1mhz interference, and the steering module is an interference hotspot.
    3) The latest update to Helix G3N MDI changed the noise filters from 4 options to 6 options, but these 6 options seem to do literally nothing. Before the update, noise filter 2 had cleared most interference and each noise filter setting actually made a visual difference. Did Humminbird break their noise filters with the most current update? Perhaps, or maybe it's just a coincidence.
    4) The MEGA 360 in-line connector must have no shielding or failed shielding, and its like a literal EMI antennae if anywhere close to the Ultrex steering servo/module or Ultrex cable bundle. The further I hold the connector away from the Ultrex in general, the less the interference (even when on it's own 12V battery outside the boat).
    5) The CABLE SHIELDING ON THE 360 TRANSDUCER WIRES DOES NOT WORK or is not effective, even down into the shaft itself (so it can't be a kink?)

The problem is a combination of the noisy Ultrex components and failed, defective, or ineffective EMI/RFI shielding on the MEGA 360 transducer cable.

The SOLUTION is this: DOUBLE FARADAY/EMI/RFI SHIELDING.

According to EMI/RFI experts, braided copper over insulated foil shielding is best for capturing and eliminating problematic EMI and RFI. Here's a snippet from one of the papers I read on this:

Capture.JPG

Another source stating the same: https://www.lapptannehill.com/resour...parison-charts

So with this in mind, here's what I did:

1) I bought FARADAY TAPE (it's a metallic mesh fabric tape) and wrapped the wires from where they exit the fiberglass shaft all the way past the in-line connectors. I soldered a dedicated wire to this shield and made it the same length as the rest of the wires.
    2) I then wrapped the faraday taped cable bundle with fabric tape to make a barrier between this and the next layer.
    3) I bought 3 meters of 28mm TINNED COPPER BRAIDED SHIELDING, very similar to a rod sock but heavy and metallic. I slid this all the way up and over the in-line connectors and down to the MEGA 360 shaft, but this isn't far enough! SHIELDING IS REQUIRED IN THE MEGA 360 THE SHAFT TO BELOW THE DECK OF THE TROLLING MOTOR! It's very easy to slide the mesh shielding down into the shaft a good bit, and I discovered that not doing this results in lingering interference. I have my shielding mesh inside the shaft and about 10" above water level and a good bit below the steering module of the Ultrex. I soldered a separate ground wire to the braided wire mesh,and made it the same length as the rest of the power cables.
    4) I bought a black nylon braided mesh, just like a rod sock and slightly larger than the braided mesh shield, and ran it over everything down to the MEGA 360 shaft and zip tied it tight.
    5) Both of these faraday shields are then grounded at my 8ga negative primary at the bow, along with the graph and MEGA 360 ground/negatives.
    6) I RAN THE SHIELDED CABLES ALONG THE TROLLING MOTOR WIRE BUNDLE, which I already tested as very noisy with interference, but this double faraday shield is 100% effective at removing ALL interference from the Ultrex.
    7) The shielded bundle runs into the bow panel, and just a few inches of the wires exit the bow panel and connect to the Helix G3N MDI.

I also shortened my MEGA 360 shaft by 7" like Mr. Ott Defoe, which leaves lots of clearance for everything including the more-rigid and insulated 360 cables.

The only negative is that this probably added about 2lbs to the front of my boat, but to me it was worth it for crystal clear MEGA 360 while on the trolling motor!

Hoping this information helps someone else troubleshooting similar issues, especially out of warranty.

Good luck!
    Last edited by bassburch; 01-21-2023 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bassburch View Post

My MEGA 360 began having INSANE interference any time the trolling motor was activated, with slightly different interference when the trolling motor was turned side to side.

I've spent literally over 100 hours reading, watching videos, isolating and troubling shooting. I've grounded and regrounded and ungrounded everything, rebuilt the trolling motor, etc. All best practices and dedicated 8ga wires are in place, ferrite mix 77 rings, charger disconnected, fuses replaced, etc, but interference WAS STILL PRESENT even after running everything off a separate standalone battery sitting on the garage floor!

I've isolated the cause and the solution clears up 100% of my interference! In my case, the power system was not the issue. The transducer or receiving aspect is where interference was being introduced into the system.

1) The Ultrex cable bundle emanates interference picked up by my MEGA 360 in the 1mhz range when the trolling motor is activated, but not the 455 range.
    2) The servo that steers the Ultrex at the shaft is especially loud with respect 1mhz interference, and the steering module is an interference hotspot.
    3) The latest update to Helix G3N MDI changed the noise filters from 4 options to 6 options, but these 6 options seem to do literally nothing. Before the update, noise filter 2 had cleared most interference and each noise filter setting actually made a visual difference. Did Humminbird break their noise filters with the most current update? Perhaps, or maybe it's just a coincidence.
    4) The MEGA 360 in-line connector must have no shielding or failed shielding, and its like a literal EMI antennae if anywhere close to the Ultrex steering servo/module or Ultrex cable bundle. The further I hold the connector away from the Ultrex in general, the less the interference (even when on it's own 12V battery outside the boat).
    5) The CABLE SHIELDING ON THE 360 TRANSDUCER WIRES DOES NOT WORK or is not effective, even down into the shaft itself (so it can't be a kink?)

The problem is a combination of the noisy Ultrex components and failed, defective, or ineffective EMI/RFI shielding on the MEGA 360 transducer cable.

According to EMI/RFI experts, braided copper over insulated foil shielding is best for capturing and eliminating problematic EMI and RFI. Here's a snippet from one of the papers I read on this:

Capture.JPG

Another source stating the same: https://www.lapptannehill.com/resour...parison-charts

1) I bought FARADAY TAPE (it's a metallic mesh fabric tape) and wrapped the wires from where they exit the fiberglass shaft all the way past the in-line connectors. I soldered a dedicated wire to this shield and made it the same length as the rest of the wires.
    2) I then wrapped the faraday taped cable bundle with fabric tape to make a barrier between this and the next layer.
    3) I bought 3 meters of 28mm TINNED COPPER BRAIDED SHIELDING, very similar to a rod sock but heavy and metallic. I slid this all the way up and over the in-line connectors and down to the MEGA 360 shaft, but this isn't far enough! SHIELDING IS REQUIRED IN THE MEGA 360 THE SHAFT TO BELOW THE DECK OF THE TROLLING MOTOR! It's very easy to slide the mesh shielding down into the shaft a good bit, and I discovered that not doing this results in lingering interference. I have my shielding mesh inside the shaft and about 10" above water level and a good bit below the steering module of the Ultrex. I soldered a separate ground wire to the braided wire mesh,and made it the same length as the rest of the power cables.
    4) I bought a black nylon braided mesh, just like a rod sock and slightly larger than the braided mesh shield, and ran it over everything down to the MEGA 360 shaft and zip tied it tight.
    5) Both of these faraday shields are then grounded at my 8ga negative primary at the bow, along with the graph and MEGA 360 ground/negatives.
    6) I RAN THE SHIELDED CABLES ALONG THE TROLLING MOTOR WIRE BUNDLE, which I already tested as very noisy with interference, but this double faraday shield is 100% effective at removing ALL interference from the Ultrex.
    7) The shielded bundle runs into the bow panel, and just a few inches of the wires exit the bow panel and connect to the Helix G3N MDI.

I also shortened my MEGA 360 shaft by 7" like Mr. Ott Defoe, which leaves lots of clearance for everything including the more-rigid and insulated 360 cables.

The only negative is that this probably added about 2lbs to the front of my boat, but to me it was worth it for crystal clear MEGA 360 while on the trolling motor!

Hoping this information helps someone else troubleshooting similar issues, especially out of warranty.

Good luck!
    Thank you for this information !!!!!! I am very interested in trying this to see if it solves my issue. I have tried everything known to man with no success. Can you please provide pictures and more details on the actual materials you used and where you bought them? I know that's allot to ask but it would be greatly helpful to see pics to compare with your instructions already provided.

Also this supports what I have always thought. If this is a 100% successful solution, it's one that Humminbird should have figured out and implemented in their design to solve the issue instead of putting the onus on the consumer. it really ticks me off that we spend thousands of dollars on this equipment only to have the burden of trying to figure out how to make it work as advertised. I have always thought there has to be a way to solve this issue.

thanks again for sharing this solution.
    Triton TR196DC / 200 Mercury Optimax- serial# 0T995641
    Dual HB 12" SI Helix Units
    HB Mega 360
    Garmin 1222 / LVS34 LiveScope
    Dual 12' Minn Kota Talons
    MotorGuide Tour TM
    Bob's Hydraulic Jackplate

Toyota Tundra SR5

3. Member
    Sure sounds like alot...my thought is that not everyone has issues, some no issues at all...hate to see that you guys are having to go through so much to get things to work properly

Quote Originally Posted by Verkeith View Post
    Sure sounds like alot...my thought is that not everyone has issues, some no issues at all...hate to see that you guys are having to go through so much to get things to work properly
    I wish that I was one who didn't have this problem, but I have had major problems as well. My luck trying to work with Humminbird customer service was a total failure. Absolutely no help at all. Hours of sitting on phone waiting for someone to pick up the call, only to get someone on the phone that didn't have a clue what they were doing. This went on for months and was very frustrating to say the least. I finally gave up. I had a Mega Live transducer brand new sitting in the box awaiting install. Because of all the issues I had with Mega 360 interference, and also going 2 years being unable to purchase an additional 12" Solix unit, I changed direction, sold the Mega Live transducer at a loss, and went with a new Garmin setup for LiveScope. Had one dealer tell me that I had a better chance of winning the lottery than finding a Solix 12" to buy. I really hope that Humminbird realizes that the issues they have had for 3 years now, such as being out of stock and backordered on EVERYTHING, inferior products with issues that they apparently have no solutions or answers for, and TERRIBLE/Useless customer service, is costing them a lot of business. I feel that Humminbird has to be a losing division, and if they were not owned by a large corporation, they would now be history. I am not saying that I don't like my Humminbird electronics, but due to the unsolvable issues and not being able to source some things as simple as a cable or switch, I personally will not invest anymore of my money in Humminbird electronics. I sure hope this poster provides pictures, and more details of material purchased so I can give it a try! It sounds like the cause of the problems are factory cables that are not properly insulated/shielded, and everyone with issues needs to re-insulate, shield, and ground these cables/wires to reduce the interference penetration into the system.

Triton TR186DC / Mercury 175 Pro XS 4s Serial #3B043278 / Dual 12' Talons / Dual Solix 12" SI / Mega 360 / Garmin 1242xsv w/ LiveScope LVS34 / Motorguide TM / Bob’s 6" Hydraulic JP

5. Member
    I have been fighting the same interfere issues. I just received my Helix 10 and Mega 360 back from Hummingbird service department that unit is working properly. They said it could be something in my Ultrex to take to an Authorized service center to have it checked. I am going to by a New Ultrex and if I still have interference with The Helix 10, I will return and buy a Garmin or Lowrance Trolling motor. I am going to copy and send the to Hummingbird customer support. I am also sure interference is coming from Ultrex. My Garmin 106 and Lowrance HDS work great on same trolling motor.
    thanks for the info. Shame on Hummingbird.

This is a post I had on same issue.
    https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1208499
    Last edited by RattleHeadBaits; 01-27-2023 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Correction

Quote Originally Posted by RattleHeadBaits View Post
    I have been fighting the same interfere issues. I just received my Helix 10 and Mega 360 back from Hummingbird service department that unit is working properly. They said it could be something in my Ultrex to take to an Authorized service center to have it checked. I am going to by a New Ultrex and if I still have interference with The Helix 10, I will return and buy a Garmin or Lowrance Trolling motor. I am going to copy and send the to Hummingbird customer support.

So what is your thoughts about a Motor Guide Tour producing RFI that affects Humminbird Side Imaging and Lowrance Side Scan?

A friend and I were trying to solve that a few years ago. It took us about 3 months of trial and error to resolve it.
    The friend was using a Lowrance at the bow with no issue then moved his console unit to the bow and got the RFI.

When I changed from the Motor Guide Tour to a Ultrex, I did not use any of the RFI measures--didn't need to.

My first experience with trolling motor RFI was in the early 1980's when I got a variable speed Motor Guide that affected Humminbird and Lowrance units--I think the model was Brute. After that I got the three speed OMC motors and did not have it again until the Tour.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by RattleHeadBaits View Post
    I have been fighting the same interfere issues. I just received my Helix 10 and Mega 360 back from Hummingbird service department that unit is working properly. They said it could be something in my Ultrex to take to an Authorized service center to have it checked. I am going to by a New Ultrex and if I still have interference with The Helix 10, I will return and buy a Garmin or Lowrance Trolling motor. I am going to copy and send the to Hummingbird customer support. I am also sure interference is coming from Ultrex. My Garmin 106 and Lowrance HDS work great on same trolling motor.

I had same issues with Humminbird and Motorguide X5 motor. Brother had the same thing with older Motorguide Tour, and even bought a new Motorguide Tour, same issue. Humminbird said the same thing..."Must be your trolling motor". Absolute BS.

Triton TR186DC / Mercury 175 Pro XS 4s Serial #3B043278 / Dual 12' Talons / Dual Solix 12" SI / Mega 360 / Garmin 1242xsv w/ LiveScope LVS34 / Motorguide TM / Bob’s 6" Hydraulic JP

8. Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by bassburch View Post

Capture.JPG

Good luck!
    We bought a Mega360 in April 2023 and have nothing but problems since the very first time we turned it on. Our setup is as follows: 2005 Bass Tracker, PT175 tournament edition, 80lb thrust Ultrex on the bow, Mega360 on the Utlrex, Helix 10 on the bow, and Helix 8 at the console all networked via a humminbird ethernet switch. We converted the boat to 24 volts by wiring two 12 volt, deep cycle batteries in series, this is how the Ultrex is powered. We power the Helixes, the Mega360, and the ethernet switch via portable lithium batteries. On the bow, the Mega360, Helix 10, and ethernet switch are on the same lithium battery. The cranking battery is connected to the outboard and some accessories. The weird thing is that sometimes it would look clear, but most of the time it was super bright, blown out, sun-bursting, and pixelated. At first it only affected the Mega360, but lately it has been messing up SI and DI on the Helix 10 at the bow also. We have tried just about everything to include putting a HB choke cable on each battery (3), disconnecting charger fuses, different noise filter settings, software updates, ground wire attached to stainless steel screw (can't ground to aluminum boat), dissasembling and reassembling Ultrex foot pedal, checking fuses, swapping in a known working M360, etc.... If trolling motor is off or on speed 10, we have crystal clear M360. When using spot lock or any speed less than 10, it is interference city. Do you have any links to the 28mm TINNED COPPER BRAIDED SHIELDING and the faraday tape?