Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rod locker moose antler solution

Never was a fan of the moose antler and couple with the tubes, it's down right infuriating!

After seeing what the R boat had for the rod management a light bulb went off! STAIRS!

Here's what I what I was working with.
    10 - 6MmwHib.jpg
    Much wasted space as the spots closest to the center create a bend in the rod going into the tubes...
    I would have to stack rods on top of each other in the space between the notches to maximizes the number of rods that would fit. They were usually my most used rods.

9 - RLPIugN.jpg 11 - Iekjuj8.jpg
    Used the existing bracket holes to mount it to the floor.

8 - nsvS3Wa.jpg 7 - 8LpDxS4.jpg 5 - mDFbiMK.jpg 4 - hbhB1aH.jpg
    Took about 30 total hours of measuring, cutting, drilling, multiple trips to the hardware store, verifying the fit of each piece, cutting again, and sanding...
    I felt that the three screws in the floor wasn't going to be enough (since there's probably an additional 4lbs of marine board material than the old moose antler) so I also secured to the back wall. And since that side has the sandwich shelf, I didn't have to worry about punching through the cooler wall.

3 - ys0vQDb.jpg 2 - tiRFVYl.jpg
    12 rods pictured with room for more on the top step and more on the floor if you really wanted.
    The best part is that it's way easier to pull rods out since I can just slides the rods across the step to get to the lower ones.
    The downside is that you're limited to the top two steps for 8' + rods, but you can put 7'6 rods on the lowest step and up to 7'3 rods on the floor.
    Last edited by BassCPT; 01-21-2023 at 11:26 AM.
    united in the pursuit of bass.

2. Member
    Very nicely done. I may steal your design

3. Member
    Wow, I really like that. I took my antlers out a while back and have just been laying them in there. Have the tubes up front still because I don’t want to dig them outta the foam. But I like the butt stairs! Don’t need the tackle box spot so may go stairs all the way across. Thanks for the idea!
    2014 Ranger Z520C, Yamaha 250 SHO

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Excellent work. And 30 hours is nothing this time of year!

Before I saw the light and cut down to a mere 15-18 rods in my boat, I also simply removed the “antlers” and made a couple of layers of rod butts via pieces of closed-cell foam at the back end. If I’m driving fast enough to bounce those rods all over when they’re in tubes at the front and cushioned between layers of foam at the back, I need to slow down. That’s too tough on my back. Removing the antlers and piecing in the closed-cell foam took me less than an hour, which officially labels me as lazier than you.

Also, if I buy used reels, I want to buy them from you. I’ve never seen better protected equipment.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

VERY nice work. What is the material you used?

Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Also, if I buy used reels, I want to buy them from you. I’ve never seen better protected equipment.
    I’m what the kids these day call “extra”

Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    VERY nice work. What is the material you used?
    thanks! I used 3/4inch marine board for the step frame (cuz I had extra laying around from another project and 1/2inch for everything else.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCPT View Post
    thanks! I used 3/4inch marine board for the step frame (cuz I had extra laying around from another project and 1/2inch for everything else.
    So what square footage do you estimate you used?
    2014 Ranger Z520C, Yamaha 250 SHO

9. Member
    I know what i am doing for the rest of the winter

10. Member
    Looks fantastic. Did you experiment any with different shelf heights to try to accommodate spinning rigs ? Pictures look like all casting rigs. Thinking out loud maybe taller spacing on shelves for spinning rigs ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike A View Post
    So what square footage do you estimate you used?
    I used 3x 1/2" thick boards: a 12x24 board, a 15x20, and a 12x12 board.
    The 3/4" board I had was probably about 10x8?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishshooter View Post
    Looks fantastic. Did you experiment any with different shelf heights to try to accommodate spinning rigs ? Pictures look like all casting rigs. Thinking out loud maybe taller spacing on shelves for spinning rigs ?
    I kept the spinning rods closest to the center immediately next to the 360 boxes. That space in front of the box is wide enough to fit the spinning reels.
    It may be hard to see, but I've actually got two spinning rods in there.

At first I was going to only go three steps but I figured I would go 4 so that I wouldn't be limited to the number of rods per step due to reels where I'd have to stack em on top of each other.

13. Member
    The composite board that Ranger uses all over their boats such as the plano box storage system in the center box of Z,C,L, and R boats is made in sheets in house and I think you can get a 4'x8' sheet if you wanted. I have bought it in 2'x2' sheets. Very handy stuff and price not bad either. Very well done sir. I may have to put shelves in mine.

That’s more rods I can fit on my boat.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCPT View Post
    I kept the spinning rods closest to the center immediately next to the 360 boxes. That space in front of the box is wide enough to fit the spinning reels.
    It may be hard to see, but I've actually got two spinning rods in there.

At first I was going to only go three steps but I figured I would go 4 so that I wouldn't be limited to the number of rods per step due to reels where I'd have to stack em on top of each other.
    OK. Seen that upon a closer look. My " problem" is i carry more than 2 spin rigs on that side. Thanks.

16. Member
    Looks outstanding! You did a great job!

Great idea.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishshooter View Post
    OK. Seen that upon a closer look. My " problem" is i carry more than 2 spin rigs on that side. Thanks.
    Lol! I got two more spinning rods in the center rod locker along with the rest of my 7 foot rods (an additional 10 rods).
    I went short rods for the center compartment so I could still store about a dozen 370 boxes in there.

19. Member
    Just curious, do you have rod tubes up front or is it open? Looks really nice!

20. Member
    Also, I forgot to ask where do you buy the marine board at? Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast