Puma STS.. mounting graphs at trolling motor pedal

In the Puma STS, you can move the trolling motor pedal back, and mount a graph in front of the pedal.

I want to set my graphs up very similarly to what John Crews did in his boat last year. I will have two 12's on the left and a 9 on the right. I intended to use gimbal mounts to secure the 12s directly to the fiberglass - no other types of mounts needed.

I would move the trolling motor pedal from it's original position to the rear position.

My question is.. the original trolling motor pedal position is in a fiberglass area that appears to be raised about 1". To mount the graph on its gimbal in that spot, it looks like Crews would have needed some sort of spacer.

In my screenshot of his video, the red circle is the raised area and the blue circle is about a 1" gap between the bracket and the fiberglass. He never mentioned what he used for a spacer to fill that gap.

I also found another video with his new boat. You can ignore the mounts he is using. The red circle shows where I want to mount a gimbal, and how it's uneven.

Anyone have any suggestions? I could find a shop in my area and have them machine something, but I would rather not fool with that.

Anyone happen to know the height difference in those two areas and what size the spacer needs to be? (I don't have my boat yet, or I'd just figure it out)

I thought about using something like a Balzout instead, but it looks like the mount base would still need to go right where the uneven spot is.

Unrelated, but good news... I got notification from my dealer that my boat began production this week!!! I'm giddy like a little kid at Christmas!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TNReb; 01-21-2023 at 10:35 AM.
    2023 Puma STS

2. Member
    Unrelated, but good news... I got notification from my dealer that my boat began production this week!!! I'm giddy like a little kid at Christmas![/QUOTE]

3. Member
    He used just the gimbles on the low left and top graph. He used a balz out for the garmin 10he had

and yes you can put a gimble direct in front of the pedal

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BASStex1988 View Post
    He used just the gimbles on the low left and top graph. He used a balz out for the garmin 10he had

and yes you can put a gimble direct in front of the pedal
    I understand that. But it appears he had to have placed something under half the gimbal of the graph on the left, closest to the carpet (his Lowrance) to level it. The left half of the gimbal would have been on the raised area where the trolling motor pedal originally sat. The right half of the gimbal would have been hanging off that raised area.
    2023 Puma STS

5. Member
    Some have put a spacer under, some haven’t. I’m trying to get a plate to make it easier to mount 3 graphs

6. Member
    I've got a solution to the spacer problem - marine starboard or something similar.

I have a new question...

Do you think it would be smarter to use some sort of small mount to attach the gimbals to the fiberglass? Or attach the gimbals directly to the fiberglass?

I'm only asking because a separate mount may make sense if I decide to change the graphs in a couple of years. Odds are I could just attach the new gimbals to the existing mount instead of having to drill holes for a new gimbal that may not line up with the existing holes.
    2023 Puma STS

7. Member
    If you think there is a possibility of changing then I would. I believe bbt just made a triple mount for the front of that boat. It’s what they just put on mark rose’s puma. And it looks pretty dang clean.
    Maldonado depending on the color would make my mind up on how hard I could over those holes if I ever changed gimble.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BASStex1988 View Post
    If you think there is a possibility of changing then I would. I believe bbt just made a triple mount for the front of that boat. It’s what they just put on mark rose’s puma. And it looks pretty dang clean.
    Maldonado depending on the color would make my mind up on how hard I could over those holes if I ever changed gimble.
    I just found it on his Facebook page. Hard to tell what it's really like. I wonder how high it sits.
    2023 Puma STS

9. Member
    I’m not sure. Hoping he makes a video soon so one can tell. But I don’t mind it. I think there is a better way to do it for sure but I wish I had a dang cnc to make it lol

10. BBC SPONSOR

11. Member
    I wound up swapping emails with Van at BBC and purchased the triple stack mount for the bow.

I realize BassCat specifically designed the bow so gimbals could be mounted directly, and I was quite excited about that at first. The more I thought about it, the more I realized I'm likely to swap graphs in 2-3 years and I don't want to risk gimbals not fitting and having to drill more holes.

The BBT triple stack has a lot of adjustability. You can swivel it left and right a little (like the Precision Sonar pictured above appears to do), and there are plenty of pre-drilled screws for lining up various gimbals.

I'll post more info once I get my boat and get the BBT mounted, but so far I like it. It seems solid as a rock. Here are a few pictures.

And heck.. it has another cup holder!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TNReb; 02-01-2023 at 02:00 PM.
    2023 Puma STS

12. Member
    That looks like a nice setup. ���� I’m sure you’ll be happy with it.

13. Member
    Is this designed specifically for the Puma STS? Do they have a dual 12 option?
    Quote Originally Posted by PrecisionSonar View Post

14. Member
    Please delete. I replied in the wrong thread.
    Last edited by TNReb; 02-04-2023 at 03:55 PM.
    2023 Puma STS

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by djtavilla View Post
    Is this designed specifically for the Puma STS? Do they have a dual 12 option?
    this is just a standard bass cat pedestal mount. The only one specifically designed for a sts to my knowledge is bass boat technology