2001 Mercury 2oo Optimax lower unit question

2001 Mecury Optimax 200, S/N OT343337. While installing my water pump today, 2 of the 4 water pump housing bolts would not even snug up to the housing. Never even got close to torque value. I am hoping these are helicoils and can be replaced? Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    Does anyone have the bolt size and thread pitch of the waterpump housing bolts? Thank you!

They're only 60 inch pounds (5 foot pounds) hard to believe they stripped out. May be a candidate for a helicoil, Don or Joe can tell you for certain.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

Quote Originally Posted by Champ 2001 View Post
    Does anyone have the bolt size and thread pitch of the waterpump housing bolts? Thank you!
    6x16

5. Member
    Okay, so upon further investigation my threads on 2 of the holes need to be repaired. They are not stripped out, but worn down and the bolt is loose. Someone advised something called Time Serts. Is this a better option than a Heli Coil ? Thank you.

6. Member
    Someone advised something called Time Serts. Is this a better option than a Heli Coil ? Thank you.
    Yes.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Member
    What would be the correct size Time Sert for my waterpump housing bolts. The bolt I believe is a M6 × 16 ? Also, what material would be used. I am kinda nervous of messing up my lower unit ! Thanks!

What would be the correct size Time Sert for my waterpump housing bolts. The bolt I believe is a M6 × 16 ? Also, what material would be used. I am kinda nervous of messing up my lower unit ! Thanks!
    I'm not sure if they make one longer than 12mm in stainless for the M6x1.0 size.

9. Member
    The bolts that came with my waterpump kit are 1 inch in length when measured from the head of the bolt to the end. I think the bolt length is measured from under the the bolt head to the end? So, what size insert will I need for this job? Thank you!

What kit did you buy? I don't remember one that comes with bolts...

11. Member
    I ordered a complete water pump kit, housing etc.

12. Member
    Did you compare the bolts from the kit with the original bolts? Have you tried to reuse the original bolts? If you do try to use a Helicoil or similar you should make sure the inserts are stainless. Otherwise you will have issues down the road.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

13. Member
    Yes, the new bolts are slightly longer than the original bolts. Out of the 4 bolts 2 would torque to 60 inch lbs, the other 2 never got close when they spun. The lower unit is at a machine shop getting SS Helicoils in the 2 that will not torque properly.

Yes, the new bolts are slightly longer than the original bolts. Out of the 4 bolts 2 would torque to 60 inch lbs, the other 2 never got close when they spun. The lower unit is at a machine shop getting SS Helicoils in the 2 that will not torque properly.
    Good deal. I was going to suggest that if you had never done time-serts or heli-coils to have a machine shop do it.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    Good deal. I was going to suggest that if you had never done time-serts or heli-coils to have a machine shop do it.

16. Member
    smart man indeed
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I definitely would prefer the Time-Serts (personally)- as helicoils are sometimes problematic in "regularly serviced", highly-critical applications.

Was this Water Pump Kit an OEM Mercury/Quicksilver component? Part Number?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

18. Member
    Thanks Don. Yes the water pump kit # is 817275A08. I ordered this and the rest of my service items through Rhonda in December. Invoice # 23279. I asked the shop about Time Serts when I dropped the LU off. He said he wasn't sure if they made them in that size.

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    TIME-SERT 16104

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

20. Member
    Thank you Don!