Banned

identifying the transducers in hull and thru hull

I have a 2006 188vs with a in hull transducer located by the bilge pump and then i have a thru hull located on the step and i don't know what it is. Need help in identifying the thru hull. It appears both were factory installed and the thru hull is connected to a nmea 2000 network system (the boat is set up for lowrance ) maybe a temp.sensor? Also is there a way to get the lowrance transducer switched over to humminbird?
    And a final question, do they make a thru hull transducer for humminbird di and si. If so maybe i could remove the one sensor on the step ( if it is indeed a temp. sensor) and use the hole for a transducer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like a Lowrance thru hull temp sensor and a Lowrance PDT-WBL or similar variant. Don’t think they are compatible with HB.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Looks like a Lowrance thru hull temp sensor and a Lowrance PDT-WBL or similar variant. Don’t think they are compatible with HB.
    thanks for reply. I have been doing a little research and and believe you are correct. there is a lowrance elite 7 cdi unit at the helm. I'm thinking that the cdi stands for chirp and down image. but don't know for sure. There is a pd wbl wide angle cable going into the nmea2000 port on the back of the unit. This is a new to me boat and it appears that the electronics wiring has been messed with. I'll get it just take some time.

Dean is correct, that is the temp sensor, I have the same sensor on my 2010 188VX.

Spanky

5. Member
    So the sump transducer is the PD-WBL, not a PDT-WBL (they are the same but the "T" stands for the model with a built in temp sensor which would not work properly as a shoot through the hull transducer. The other item is a through hull temperature sensor factory installed by Ranger (off the top of my head it is the EP-85).

This video may be of use to you, especially if you have an HDS LIVE or are getting the HDS Pro:

Added: just read your post more carefully and now realize you are switching to Birds...knock out the PD-WBL transducer by placing a block of wood against it and whacking the side of the wood hard with a hammer or mallet as described in the video above. Put your Bird transducer in the same location as described in the video.

Keep the through hull temp sensor in place to avoid getting leaks in the future. It is not a suitable sonar transducer location for when you are on plane.
    ciao,
    Marc