Interesting study: Bass Patterns

Please delete if already posted!

2. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    That’s a good watch and confirms a lot of my findings. Not saying I’ve got it figured out, but it’s How I fish.. thanks for posting

Dale Sinclair original

watch this and see smallmouth cover east end of Erie and one moves a hundred plus miles

https://www.facebook.com/MichiganBassFederation
    "The handicapped angler"

4. Member
    This study by Todd Driscoe (interviewed by Ken Smith) consisted of 6 YouTube videos that I saved to one of my YouTube folders. Should be able to find them all on YouTube if interested. Very cool info
    2023 Ranger 521R DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S

5. Member
    Enjoyed that video. Thanks for sharing

6. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Sorry. Duplicated what Waves posted about the Ken Smith series. Deleted

8. Member
    I watched the Ken Smith videos too and one thing missed here that Todd Driscoll mentioned was the fish being on " do nothing, featureless flats" like 40% of the time too I think I recall that no one would consider fishing. Thought about that a lot and talk about needle in a haystack fishing, just throwing on a 40 acre flat hoping the lure gets in front of one!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven H View Post
    I watched the Ken Smith videos too and one thing missed here that Todd Driscoll mentioned was the fish being on " do nothing, featureless flats" like 40% of the time too I think I recall that no one would consider fishing. Thought about that a lot and talk about needle in a haystack fishing, just throwing on a 40 acre flat hoping the lure gets in front of one!
    When he says “featureless flat” he is referring to the way it looks on a map, not what it looks like in actuality, or that it is actually featureless.

11. Member
    One thing that was mentionned but often goes under the radar is the time spent travelling. Bass that are moving are very difficult to catch.

You have to take it all with a grain of salt, the study was done on Toledo Bend using a very, very, small sample size. Saying that it changes "everything we know about bass" is just not true. And come on, is it a revelation that bass will hang out on isolated pieces of structure like a stump?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven H View Post
    FFS has made a huge difference in fishing flats, being able to quickly scan 100+ feet while moving can really help efficiency. Like others have said here though, often they aren't on a "do nothing flat". They find the one little hard patch, or a laydown, or be somewhere relatively close to the ledges on the flats.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    You have to take it all with a grain of salt, the study was done on Toledo Bend using a very, very, small sample size. Saying that it changes "everything we know about bass" is just not true. And come on, is it a revelation that bass will hang out on isolated pieces of structure like a stump?
    Maybe, the host of that video was just that bad of a fisherman?

Interesting. Thank you for sharing.
    Team Enigma Fishing

16. Member
    Someone better send this to Jacob Wheeler so he isn't misinformed about these myths he speaks of.

17. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    I wonder if this YT'er spun this off of Ken and Todd's series (which is excellent by the way) or actually assisted in the research? He says several times in the video "I need to do some more research."

18. Member

My bad, I reposted this when I seen it on YouTube. Hadn't viewed this thread.