Is motor draining battery

Model#12000039A——Ser#3B045584
    2021 Mercury 200HP Pro XS-I believe the motor is draining my interstate AGM size 31 battery that came with the boat from factory. The large wire connected from the motor is the only one that arcs when I touch it to the battery post. You can barely see the arc so I am wondering if the vessel view mobile is causing this or do I have a problem with the motor? Never had a problem before and have had this boat for almost 2 years.
    Pool 10

Are you saying if you disconnect the main positive battery cable from the boat, when you refit it then you get a small spark on contact? Why are you taking it off in the first place?
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thommo59 View Post
    Are you saying if you disconnect the main positive battery cable from the boat, when you refit it then you get a small spark on contact? Why are you taking it off in the first place?
    Because that’s how to troubleshoot a short.If the wire sparks-then it is drawing current.
    Pool 10

4. Member
    The spark is probably from capacitors in the engine electronics charging when you first make connection at the power cable. Put an amp meter between the power cable and battery and see if you have a steady draw or if it’s just inrush current causing a momentary spark.

Quote Originally Posted by Mc Gregor View Post
    Because that’s how to troubleshoot a short.If the wire sparks-then it is drawing current.
    Nope, not always true, The pcm uses about 50 to 80 ma of current all the time, a very small amount and this is true for autos as well. I have as much as 1.5 amps on autos and a timer will cut it back to about 50ma after some time, could take as long as 1.5 hours to do so. Do not make this judgment call by spark as this can be caused by capacitors loading up on reconnection. Must use a quality DVOM that will measure in milli amps, connect it in series. If under 80 ma it is normal no action needed. If higher than 80 ma, leave connected and recheck after one hour.
    I have not checked the new four stroke motors butt I am somewhat confident that the above test would be valid for it as well
    Thank You Leon Pugh

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Nope, not always true, The pcm uses about 50 to 80 ma of current all the time, a very small amount and this is true for autos as well. I have as much as 1.5 amps on autos and a timer will cut it back to about 50ma after some time, could take as long as 1.5 hours to do so. Do not make this judgment call by spark as this can be caused by capacitors loading up on reconnection. Must use a quality DVOM that will measure in milli amps, connect it in series. If under 80 ma it is normal no action needed. If higher than 80 ma, leave connected and recheck after one hour.
    I have not checked the new four stroke motors butt I am somewhat confident that the above test would be valid for it as well
    Appreciate the response Leon, but I don’t see how you can create a spark without drawing current? It takes energy to create a spark?
    Pool 10

7. Member
    I think Leon is saying 50 - 80ma draw is not going to drain the battery (I agree) which is what the OP thinks is happening. As Leon indicated, the only way to know is to put an ammeter in line and check actual current draw.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

8. Member
    Mine drains my cranking battery to.i think it's the vessel view mobil to. I put a master kill switch in
    JEFF
    TALBOTT,TN
    VIPER COBRA 201
    Mercury pro xs

9. Member
    anything with a brain is using some juice from the battery for keep alive memories cars draw 40-80 milliamps and if never driven will run battery down in a few weeks to a month. nature of ecm-pcm- ect
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

10. mikesxpress
    The V8's wiring requirements include dedicated "clean power" cables that run directly to the engine from the cranking battery. There is parasitic draw on this connection as it powers the engine control module 24/7.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    The V8's wiring requirements include dedicated "clean power" cables that run directly to the engine from the cranking battery. There is parasitic draw on this connection as it powers the engine control module 24/7.
    That's correct, and even though I have a master battery switch, it will not interrupt power to the clean power harness because as Mike pointed out, it must be wired directly to the battery, not through any switch. I don't know if my multimeter was inaccurate but I measured the draw on the clean power harness on my boat in the range of 300 mA, which was much higher than I would have expected. I don't recall how long it was after I turned the key off, or perhaps touched the trim button or something else so I will have to repeat the measurement after the boat has sat for several hours. The main battery switch was off so the battery was disconnected from engine when I took the measurement.

12. Member
    How fast is it draining the battery? There was a post on here about a 150hp draining the battery and the alternator was getting hot when just sitting. Might read that post, not the same motor but maybe alternator or other component.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

13. Member
    I might have a bad battery. With the wires disconnected it went from 100% to 88% in just 2 1/2 hours. I’m going to get the battery tested.
    Pool 10

Quote Originally Posted by Pulsare2020 View Post
    That's correct, and even though I have a master battery switch, it will not interrupt power to the clean power harness because as Mike pointed out, it must be wired directly to the battery, not through any switch. I don't know if my multimeter was inaccurate but I measured the draw on the clean power harness on my boat in the range of 300 mA, which was much higher than I would have expected. I don't recall how long it was after I turned the key off, or perhaps touched the trim button or something else so I will have to repeat the measurement after the boat has sat for several hours. The main battery switch was off so the battery was disconnected from engine when I took the measurement.
    give it time to time out, I have seen some systems on autos take up to 1.5 hours. I have not checked the merc 4 strokes yet to know how they are setup
    Thank You Leon Pugh

15. Member
    I might have a bad battery. With the wires disconnected it went from 100% to 88% in just 2 1/2 hours. I’m going to get the battery tested.
    Others have reported similar issues with same battery, try one of the top recommendations in this topic - BATTERIES THAT MEET THE REQUIREMENTS
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    As stated above, there is a small parasitic drain present under NORMAL circumstances. By itself, you should still have ample cranking power after sitting for about 2 weeks (without charging... which of course is not recommended).

Don't overlook the remote possibility of a bad alternator or voltage regulator. Doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't CHARGE- they can actually have regulator problems that keep the fields live with the engine OFF. Feel the alternator a couple hours after engine shutdown- it should be approximately as cool as the engine block is (if it feels HOT it's worth checking with an amp meter probe).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

17. Member
    Boat is in winter storage in garage, so not charging with the engine. I have been charging it with a separate 15 amp Schumacher charger on AGM setting.
    Pool 10