Thread: Tire minder

Tire minder

Anybody out there have experience with Tire Minders on there boat trailer tires? (1) which is better the standard type or the one that uses your cell phone for notifications? (2) is it a good idea to attach the transmitter to the boat battery or use the tow vehicle battery?

2. Member
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    I use this Tire Minder:
    https://www.tireminder.com/products/...r-trailer-tpms

I have had good luck using it without the extra transmitter if I keep the unit up high in the cab. It will occasionally loose communication with one of the sensors. If I am making a long trip I will simply connect the transmitter to one of the boat batteries and lay it safely inside the boat. I like having the peace of mind that I will be notified if a tire starts going down before it blows and tears up the trailer.

On a side note, I have purchased a cordless tire inflator (same brand as my drills) and keep that in the truck on long runs. If I get a leak I can keep putting air in until I can get it fixed.
    2021 Skeeter ZXR-21 with 250 Yamaha SHO, Pro II Power Poles, Atlas Hydro Jack Plate

Quote Originally Posted by GEL View Post
    I use this Tire Minder:

I have had good luck using it without the extra transmitter if I keep the unit up high in the cab. It will occasionally loose communication with one of the sensors. If I am making a long trip I will simply connect the transmitter to one of the boat batteries and lay it safely inside the boat. I like having the peace of mind that I will be notified if a tire starts going down before it blows and tears up the trailer.

On a side note, I have purchased a cordless tire inflator (same brand as my drills) and keep that in the truck on long runs. If I get a leak I can keep putting air in until I can get it fixed.
    How do these work after being submerged on a boat trailer? They don't say they are submersible. Do you remove them each time you launch?
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

5. Member
    They are submersible. There is a O-ring on the cap. I remember having the same question and I called them before I ordered. I have been running them for 2 years now with no problems.
    2021 Skeeter ZXR-21 with 250 Yamaha SHO, Pro II Power Poles, Atlas Hydro Jack Plate

They are submersible. There is a O-ring on the cap. I remember having the same question and I called them before I ordered. I have been running them for 2 years now with no problems.
    Thanks! I'll look into them.
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

7. Member
    Anyone figured out a way to tap the signal booster into the trailer or truck wiring to avoid having to hook it up in the boat power?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HawgSnatchin View Post
    Anyone figured out a way to tap the signal booster into the trailer or truck wiring to avoid having to hook it up in the boat power?

You probably dont need the signal booster with a simple truck and trailer. Its more for a trailer behind a rv etc.

I use this Tire Minder:

Any issues with sensors getting submerged? Amazon reviewer says they are not waterproof and he has to remove them before launching boat.

EDIT - shoot I guess I should have kept on reading lol. OK not sure why the Amazon review says not waterproof.

Mine arrived today, gotta love Amazon sometimes. Charged it up, installed the sensors, but only 1 of 4 was reading. Was kind bummed figured I needed the extender, so when back inside to grab it and by the time I got back 3 or 4 were reading, and a minute later all 4 were reading. So I guess it takes a few minutes to get connected, at least on initial use maybe.

@GEL, do you know if the solar charging bit works through the tint strip across the top of the windshield that all trucks seem have from the factory?

11. Member
    I installed mine just below the black dots and never had an issue. It does not seem to require a lot to stay charged and it holds a charge good while in use. I had the stick on Velcro come off and had to clip it up on the sun visor without sunlight and it stayed charged a full 24 hours.

12. Member
    I’d like to get a set, but I’d get the type that mounts inside the tires, like factory sensors. They do make them. I don’t trust the fill cap type. When they say “waterproof”, they usually don’t mean submersible waterproof. They usually mean rain or an occasional puddle. What we do would probably be pushing it.

Have had the Tireminder with remote display out for a few trips. No issues with dunking the trailer so far, but I do notice the right side especially the right rear will take a long time to start reporting... I suspect it's right on the edge of the usable range of the transmitter, or just has more metal between it and the receiver. So I installed the repeater. Oddly the instructions suggest mounting it on the underside of the vehicle/trailer/rv, as the signal will bounce of the road and travel further. I didn't do that as I didn't want to deal with a power wire routing deal. So I mounted in the bilge like most I suspect, and wired to battery with an inline Blue Sea switch so I can cut it off when not trailering. It does pick up the right side quicker - still not as fast as the left side, but usually within 5-10 min vs almost an hour without the transmitter.

I guess time will tell on the waterproof-ness. The covers are just plastic with an oring, I'm hoping they do not degrade over time.
    Last edited by 78Staff; 12-11-2023 at 02:48 PM.

14. Scraps
    Couple bluetooth versions out there that have a display in the truck and don't use the phone.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD