Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best culling scales available?

Seems like there is a lot of junk out there based on reviews I'm reading. Anybody have any recommendations or advice on scales to stay away from?

Thank you.

Catch Commander by far the best ones available, easy 2 button control and can be read even in direct sunlight.
    Last edited by lpugh; 01-19-2023 at 11:09 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    I got lucky with a cheap rapala scale that is dead nuts accurate to our club scales, but they vary in accuracy. Once weights get close its always best to put em on a beam.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

4. Member
    Been using this scale for six years and its been great. Lines up exactly with my Pro Tournament Scale model 357.

Rapala Touch Screen Tournament Scale 15lb - Tackle Warehouse
    '13 Triton 19SE 225 Pro XS
    '09 Chevy Silverado Z71

5. Member
    I use what the Pro's at MLF use. Brecknell. My friends Rapala is no where near as accurate. https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Brec...hoCRvgQAvD_BwE
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

6. Member
    Balance beam. Most accurate culling device made.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
    It's always a trip when you get matching cookie cutter bass and the beam balances perfectly
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

8. Member
    I've used Brecknell, Rapala, Accucull and one no name one I got off of Amazon. Every one has gotten wet and crapped out. The no name one from Amazon actually lasted the longest. I recently ordered one from Ego, figured they make great nets maybe this one will be better than the others. I called them and they do claim it is waterproof. We'll see. It was like $70. I also use the Accucull board for keeping track of weights.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    I use what the Pro's at MLF use. Brecknell. My friends Rapala is no where near as accurate. https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Brec...hoCRvgQAvD_BwE
    This is what has worked well for me for the last 4 years never an issue.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
    For sure.

11. Member
    cheap old rapala has been spot on for me... I occasionally test it with various weight plates just to make sure, it's always dead on with tournament scale

edit... actually mine is a berkeley, not rapala... had it about 10 yrs now
    Last edited by BDBR; 01-19-2023 at 10:06 PM.

Nothing beats balance beam especially in two foot waves

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    I got lucky with a cheap rapala scale that is dead nuts accurate to our club scales, but they vary in accuracy. Once weights get close its always best to put em on a beam.
    I have the same but use the .00 for 100'ths since 2.91 and 2.85 are the same in ounces but clearly one is heavier. They are repeatable. Just have good technique on start up like not bouncing, hold level and still with the chain hanging nicely. ...
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Rapala is worthless in bright sunlight and if they last a year, you are lucky.
    Bricknell's are not waterproof catch commander is waterproof.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

15. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    If not needing to know the weight just which is biggest , the most accurate would be a culling beam can't beat that but most want to keep a running tally of what they have for 5 fish or whatever ,then I have been using a Rapala scale because all tourney scale will read differently but will get you in the ballpark.
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

16. Member
    rapala scale and beam when close. Don't mind spending $30 on a scale because about every year it get's stepped on or something stupid happens to it.
    Fish have fins, they swim

Nothing beats a beam but when tournament fishing having a scale with built in memory allowing you to know your total and a quick reference to the smallest fish is a must

I use the Rapala 15# Touch scale but any fish that is within a couple ounces of each other gets a ride on the beam just to be sure before it gets culled

That’s because you have to take in account how calm the water and fish are as both affect the results dramatically so the rougher the water the more I rely on the beam
    "The handicapped angler"

I use Accu-Cull and the Ardent cull balls. Weigh on scale, enter weight on cull balls, and have easy access to know which is the smallest to cull.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

19. Member
    I have the Rapala touch screen in the boat.. Have never touched it to cull. Always in a hurry and just quicker to work through them real quick with a beam? Once they're all on cull tags... takes me about a minute to run 6 across the beam. Not to mention, rarely is there 6 that need to be put on it. I suppose with the exception of knowing how much weight you have, I can't think of any reason the digital would be quicker really? I'm probably old school.

20. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Rapala touch 15# for me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast