Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Moderator
    Rapala touch here.

2. Member
    Rapala touch screen for me but I usually end up with the cull beam. I put a rapala fish grip on both sides of the beam, quick and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brush hog Billy View Post
    Rapala touch screen for me but I usually end up with the cull beam. I put a rapala fish grip on both sides of the beam, quick and easy.
    Lews speed beam comes with the grip clips
    "The handicapped angler"

4. Member
    Can’t believe I’m the only one still using the Cul-m-rite. Mine is going on 12-15 years old. Gonna be a sad day when the battery finally gives out.

Catch Commander. Super accurate, simple and easy to use, waterproof, durable. I've had multiple fish come in as close as 2 hundredths to each other and the balance beam has agreed with the scale every single time. That's impressive if you ask me!

Rapalas are accurate, but I never had one last more than about a year. The high contrast is way better than the touch screen if you decide to go that route...real buttons are infinitely better than a touch screen with wet and/or cold fingers, and the high contrast is simpler.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph McB View Post
    Can’t believe I’m the only one still using the Cul-m-rite. Mine is going on 12-15 years old. Gonna be a sad day when the battery finally gives out.
    You can have it replaced and resealed. I had mine done last year. I wish I could remember who did it. You can do it yourself, it's really not that hard. They recalibrated mine when they did the battery. Best method is to solder a new 9v to the wires. I did my buds it was very easy. His calibration was dead on so he just needed a battery If you are so inclined, here's a cheap fix in a pinch. Definitely not the best way to go. http://www.thebbz.com/content/2016/2...viods-warranty
    Last edited by jerzia; 01-26-2023 at 05:19 PM.

Well, here’s my honest testimonial for the Catch Commander scale. Hate to admit it, but about a year and a half ago, I did something totally stupid. Left my plug in the boat and it rained so hard for several days and my boat filled up over the floor about a foot or so. The water got high enough that it got into my center step between the seats. Under that step is storage and my scale was in that box completely immersed in water for several days at least. When I opened up the box I thought that I’d be buying another scale for sure. Not so! I brought the scale inside and took the battery out, which wasn’t wet anyway, letting the whole scale dry for several days before any attempt to power it up. Popped the same battery back in the scale and I’m still using it to this day! Try that with a Rapala and you’ll be buying another one. And I personally know this to be true as I went through two Rapala touch screen scale before buying the Catch Commander. True story!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jerzia View Post
    You can have it replaced and resealed. I had mine done last year. I wish I could remember who did it. You can do it yourself, it's really not that hard. They recalibrated mine when they did the battery. Best method is to solder a new 9v to the wires. I did my buds it was very easy. His calibration was dead on so he just needed a battery If you are so inclined, here's a cheap fix in a pinch. Definitely not the best way to go. http://www.thebbz.com/content/2016/2...viods-warranty
    Thanks for the info . Maybe I’ll try to look them up, I fried one years ago trying to do it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by JMason View Post
    To me, nothing is better than a balance beam.
    After using a catch commander you will toss the balance beam as I did
    Thank You Leon Pugh

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph McB View Post
    I am still using the Stren Cull-Em-Rite but mine was built for a 9 v battery, maybe a newer version than yours ?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishshooter View Post
    I am still using the Stren Cull-Em-Rite but mine was built for a 9 v battery, maybe a newer version than yours ?
    Cul m rite uses a 9v, always has.

12. Member
    IDK if I got lucky or what, but my Rapala has been submersed multiple times and used in the rain countless times and hasn't quit on me.

I carry 2 scales, a Brecknell and a Catch Commander, and a good Balance Beam. I have a set of 7 Rope clip tags and then post each on my phone on Easy Culling App. It then shows each fish and the total weight. Easy to pick the one to cull and your big fish at a glance.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    I carry 2 scales, a Brecknell and a Catch Commander, and a good Balance Beam. I have a set of 7 Rope clip tags and then post each on my phone on Easy Culling App. It then shows each fish and the total weight. Easy to pick the one to cull and your big fish at a glance.
    You dont need phone to do that with catch comander or bricknell
    Thank You Leon Pugh

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    I like using a accucull board, or a phone would work too. Just way too easy to make a mistake on a scale and “cull” the wrong fish on the device.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    I know, it's just much easier for me too.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaredn View Post
    I’m hoping one day I will have to cull

right there with ya ..

If your a plug and play guy the catch commander is the way to go with the Auto Hold, Auto Fill and Auto Cull features

But I guess I'm old school and like to do these things myself especially in rough water I will use the hold a couple of times to make sure it’s as close as possible
    Not to mention if 2 fish are within a few hundredths I’m going to beam them no matter what
    its just a habit knowing that too many tournaments have been won or lost by 1 or 2 hundredths

Also I don’t keep my buoys in order so I just grab one and drop that weight in the corresponding box

I also don’t have to remember to set up the scale prior to the start of the day if the cull number is different than the last event

I see people saying the rapala doesn’t last that long but like I said before I’m going on year 5 or 6 with mine and I’ve used it plenty including in some heavy rain
    I don’t leave it out on the deck I keep it in the glove box and only pull it out when needed but the only issue I’ve had is I forgot to replace the batteries once

Another thing is if you watch the pros you will see a lot more Rapalas then catch commanders used
    "The handicapped angler"

I use a brecknell and accucull board - I have a couple catch commanders - great scales but they lock on their weights too quickly and then I have to reweigh. The Brecknells are the most accurate scales I have ever used - I have never once been surprised by the cull beam using them and we have a lot of smallmouth tournaments that are won by a few hundredths of a pound.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhjr. View Post
    Well, here’s my honest testimonial for the Catch Commander scale. Hate to admit it, but about a year and a half ago, I did something totally stupid. Left my plug in the boat and it rained so hard for several days and my boat filled up over the floor about a foot or so. The water got high enough that it got into my center step between the seats. Under that step is storage and my scale was in that box completely immersed in water for several days at least. When I opened up the box I thought that I’d be buying another scale for sure. Not so! I brought the scale inside and took the battery out, which wasn’t wet anyway, letting the whole scale dry for several days before any attempt to power it up. Popped the same battery back in the scale and I’m still using it to this day! Try that with a Rapala and you’ll be buying another one. And I personally know this to be true as I went through two Rapala touch screen scale before buying the Catch Commander. True story!
    I’m sitting here confused reading about people having issues with the Rapala touch screen, because I had a similar experience to you with the Rapala. Out on the lake when I heard thunder. Got to a dock and barely got it tied up before another lightning strike way too close for comfort. I ran for a shed and stayed in there for a couple hours of some of the heaviest rain I’ve ever seen. Boat was uncovered. Rapala was submerged. It actually didn’t work at first so I ordered a new one, but after drying for a couple days the old one worked fine again.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123