Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gas Piston for Battery Compartment Lid on 2004 TR196

Has anyone added a gas piston for the battery compartment lid on a TR196? I'd like to add one because it's a PITA when you need to do anything in the battery compartment due to having to prop the lid open. Problem is, the type of pistons used in the front hatch compartments won't work because there is not enough room on the edges to attach the brackets that are on that style of piston. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated (and pics if you don't mind to share).
    Triton TR196DC / 200 Mercury Optimax- serial# 0T995641
    Dual HB 12" SI Helix Units
    HB Mega 360
    Garmin 1222 / LVS34 LiveScope
    Dual 12' Minn Kota Talons
    MotorGuide Tour TM
    Bob's Hydraulic Jackplate

Toyota Tundra SR5

2. Member
    Gonna follow this one to see what you find out. I would be into that too.
    2003 Triton TR186
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP
    Garmin Graphs and LS
    MK Ultrex 24v 80lb
    All Aboard Marine Transducer Pole
    Power Pole 8' Pro Series II Black
    2017 GMC Sierra 1500 All Terrain

3. Member
    There is a buttload of 7-10 inch struts for cabinets on Amazon. The bracket to mount it in the bilge would be the thing to look out for. I'm gonna check mine out tomorrow.
    2003 Triton TR186
    Garmin Graphs and LS
    MK Ultrex 24v 80lb

Quote Originally Posted by 4weight View Post
    There is a buttload of 7-10 inch struts for cabinets on Amazon. The bracket to mount it in the bilge would be the thing to look out for. I'm gonna check mine out tomorrow.
    The bracket is the part I don't have a solution for in this application. There is not enough clearance on the back hatch area to mount the brackets to the fiberglass. I was hoping someone else found a clever idea or different type of bracket in order to make this work in the back.
    HB Mega 360
    MotorGuide Tour TM

Toyota Tundra SR5

LOL. I guess this is another one of those threads that will result in nothing but crickets.
    HB Mega 360
    MotorGuide Tour TM

Toyota Tundra SR5

I think I may have figured out a solution to this.

Triton TR186DC / Mercury 175 Pro XS 4s Serial #3B043278 / Dual 12' Talons / Dual Solix 12" SI / Mega 360 / Garmin 1242xsv w/ LiveScope LVS34 / Motorguide TM / Bob’s 6" Hydraulic JP

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassBustingDave View Post

Please share. I have seen a bracket of two that looks like it will work in my boat.
    2003 Triton TR186
    Garmin Graphs and LS
    MK Ultrex 24v 80lb

Please share. I have seen a bracket of two that looks like it will work in my boat.
    What is a bracket of two?
    Last edited by BassBustingDave; 01-20-2023 at 02:15 PM.

Triton TR186DC / Mercury 175 Pro XS 4s Serial #3B043278 / Dual 12' Talons / Dual Solix 12" SI / Mega 360 / Garmin 1242xsv w/ LiveScope LVS34 / Motorguide TM / Bob’s 6" Hydraulic JP

9. Member
    Meant bracket or two. I did talk with Attwood Marine today. The tech could not emphasize enough that the piston installs are not easy. I solved my problem, put a piece of 2x4 in my boat. Problem solved. LOL
    2003 Triton TR186
    Garmin Graphs and LS
    MK Ultrex 24v 80lb

Meant bracket or two. I did talk with Attwood Marine today. The tech could not emphasize enough that the piston installs are not easy. I solved my problem, put a piece of 2x4 in my boat. Problem solved. LOL
    I wouldn't think that the install of a gas strut should be too hard. The problem with the model boat the poster and I have, is finding something to attach the bracket to on the boat end. The door end is straight forward.

11. Member
    I wouldn't think that the install of a gas strut should be too hard. The problem with the model boat the poster and I have, is finding something to attach the bracket to on the boat end. The door end is straight forward.
    100 percent. I think the measurements and the placement of the piston brackets are what he meant, both extended and compressed and with the door open and closed. I'm gonna pass at this point. I am not great on things like that anyway. I do plugs, lower unit, batteries etc. but I am no means very mechanically incline. Best of luck to you who end up getting it done. I will check in on this thread for feedback.
    2003 Triton TR186
    Garmin Graphs and LS
    MK Ultrex 24v 80lb

12. Member
    I’ll see if I can figure out something. Have not found it to be a problem myself….I just lean my bilge lid against the rear deck pro pole.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

Can't wait to hear. I have looked and thought about this for the last few days and have not been able to come up with a solution that I like.
    HB Mega 360
    MotorGuide Tour TM

Toyota Tundra SR5

Quote Originally Posted by bombercraw View Post
    Can't wait to hear. I have looked and thought about this for the last few days and have not been able to come up with a solution that I like.
    I never said it would be a solution you or anyone would like, I just said I had a couple of ideas I think would work. ��

15. Member
    I added a piston to my 2015 19XS which is basically the same boat. It was a PITA to calculate the exact mounting location but I'm so glad I did. I finally got tired of propping up the back lid for so many years and decided to add a piston. If you don't mount it correctly, the lid won't shut all the way or open all the way. I didn't want to attach it to top of my lid, so i attached it to the side lip of the lid. I actually cut a small piece from a stainless steel or aluminum L channel I had. I attached the mounting bracket to that then attached the L bracket to the side lip of the lid. It has worked perfect for several years now. I got the piston from Bass Pro once when they had a bunch of them on clearance.I figured I would eventually add it to the battery compartment.
    Before I added the piston, I used a piece of 90° pvc conduit to hold the lid up. Home Depot have 90° curved pieces of pvc in the conduit section. I think I added a 6" or 8" straight piece to one of the ends so it basically formed an L. I put rubber floor protectors that you put on the bottom of furniture legs on each end. I would just open the lid and put my L piece in the "drain groove" so one side laid against the lid and the other end rested in the groove. The rubber pieces kept it from slipping. It actually worked great and I already had the pvc so it didn't cost me anything. I think I used 3/4" pieces. I just kept it in the storage tray of my battery compartment.
    I'll take some photos of everything.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike2718 View Post
    I added a piston to my 2015 19XS which is basically the same boat. It was a PITA to calculate the exact mounting location but I'm so glad I did. I finally got tired of propping up the back lid for so many years and decided to add a piston. If you don't mount it correctly, the lid won't shut all the way or open all the way. I didn't want to attach it to top of my lid, so i attached it to the side lip of the lid. I actually cut a small piece from a stainless steel or aluminum L channel I had. I attached the mounting bracket to that then attached the L bracket to the side lip of the lid. It has worked perfect for several years now. I got the piston from Bass Pro once when they had a bunch of them on clearance.I figured I would eventually add it to the battery compartment.
    Before I added the piston, I used a piece of 90° pvc conduit to hold the lid up. Home Depot have 90° curved pieces of pvc in the conduit section. I think I added a 6" or 8" straight piece to one of the ends so it basically formed an L. I put rubber floor protectors that you put on the bottom of furniture legs on each end. I would just open the lid and put my L piece in the "drain groove" so one side laid against the lid and the other end rested in the groove. The rubber pieces kept it from slipping. It actually worked great and I already had the pvc so it didn't cost me anything. I think I used 3/4" pieces. I just kept it in the storage tray of my battery compartment.
    I'll take some photos of everything.
    Yes, please do add some photo's. That would be greatly helpful !! Thank you.
    HB Mega 360
    MotorGuide Tour TM

Toyota Tundra SR5

17. Member
    These might help:

https://www.boatoutfitters.com/featured-project-installing-gas-shocks-on-boat-hatches-learn-content

This bracket is just for example (should be ss & would need an extension plate that you could mount to the underside of the rear deck….then attach a similar bracket.

https://www.siraweb.com/bracket-gpb3

Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

18. Member
    go to a NAPA with yours. They have basically all sorts of various ones. I used them to replace mine

19. Member
    Here are some photos of how I installed the piston. I also included some photos of the pvc “prop” I used to hold the lid up for several years before I decided to add the piston. The straight piece of pvc is 8” and it is the perfect length to hold the lid at a 90° angle. It worked great but I eventually decided I wanted a piston instead. It took a lot of calculating to figure out the exact placement of the brackets. I thought I got this piston from Bass Pro but I actually got it from NAPA. I looked up the part number and you can still get it from NAPA.
    It is a 10” extended, 7” compressed and 20lbs of force piston. Since I didn’t want to drill through the top of my deck lid, I cut a piece of aluminum angle and attached the piston bracket to that piece, then attached the angle to
    the side of the deck lid. I did have to grind down the nuts a little bit to make then thinner because they barely made contact with the fiberglass when you stepped on the lid. I cut a small piece of rubber tread I got from Harborfreight to protect the fiberglass. Everything has worked fine for a few years now with no issues.

97B2BBB9-BD6A-4BC6-883B-B0C08869D6EC.jpeg8AFC6BC8-C2A5-4239-8A18-9C30E290451A.jpeg7AFCE892-268B-4D04-8BE4-D1FCA6F89A19.jpeg996DCDBC-C9DC-44D3-A521-7BBD3EE954B3.jpeg9C06F032-4A05-4299-9C24-98D55DF4F73A.jpegAB6CBC34-8729-41F9-A0F6-202A1BA86A9B.jpeg
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike2718 View Post
    Here are some photos of how I installed the piston. I also included some photos of the pvc “prop” I used to hold the lid up for several years before I decided to add the piston. The straight piece of pvc is 8” and it is the perfect length to hold the lid at a 90° angle. It worked great but I eventually decided I wanted a piston instead. It took a lot of calculating to figure out the exact placement of the brackets. I thought I got this piston from Bass Pro but I actually got it from NAPA. I looked up the part number and you can still get it from NAPA.
    It is a 10” extended, 7” compressed and 20lbs of force piston. Since I didn’t want to drill through the top of my deck lid, I cut a piece of aluminum angle and attached the piston bracket to that piece, then attached the angle to
    the side of the deck lid. I did have to grind down the nuts a little bit to make then thinner because they barely made contact with the fiberglass when you stepped on the lid. I cut a small piece of rubber tread I got from Harborfreight to protect the fiberglass. Everything has worked fine for a few years now with no issues.

97B2BBB9-BD6A-4BC6-883B-B0C08869D6EC.jpeg8AFC6BC8-C2A5-4239-8A18-9C30E290451A.jpeg7AFCE892-268B-4D04-8BE4-D1FCA6F89A19.jpeg996DCDBC-C9DC-44D3-A521-7BBD3EE954B3.jpeg9C06F032-4A05-4299-9C24-98D55DF4F73A.jpegAB6CBC34-8729-41F9-A0F6-202A1BA86A9B.jpeg
    Thanks Mike,

My 2004 TR196 looks a little different around the opening in that there is not that much of a flat area on the fiberglass to attach the bottom bracket of the gas strut. Also, around the opening there is a lip with a rubber gasket installed all the way around the perimeter. That is the biggest part of the problem I have had trying to figure out how to attach there. I had already figured out that I could use a bracket on the lid like what you have on the side of the lid flange, or use small headed bolts through the top and hope the carpet would hide them. Thank you for sharing all your photos and ideas. Your setup looks great !!
    HB Mega 360
    MotorGuide Tour TM

Toyota Tundra SR5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast