Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fishing Cover Scat

Been hearing about this so picked up a few packs (wasn't easy). I have not seen too much on how to fish it though. Any tips?

2. Member
    Here's a good video about the Deps Cover Scat from our very own BBC member Punch!

2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

I like Punch's videos! Cover scat was fun to play with this year. Did well on weed edges with them, think punch nails it, pretty similar to a senko.

4. Member
    I agree that he has good videos. A key point that he makes is preferring a longer rod with more power since you do want to cover water with the Cover Scat and there's not much room for the hook gap to bite into the fish's mouth due to the bulkiness of the lure body. I first started with a typical 7'1" medium heavy powered bottom contact rod and was experiencing hook up issues, so I took his advice and moved to the Luxxe Efreet B74-F heavy powered casting rod and the hook up issues went away since I had plenty of power to set the hook properly and overcome the inherent bulkiness of the Cover Scat.

I'm assuming that over time, the fish will adapt to the Cover Scat, and I'll have to move to yet another JDM soft plastic lure that the smallmouth bass haven't seen yet, but it has been fun catching them on a lure "no one" is throwing in the small NW Wisconsin flowages I fish.

Please have a great day!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

5. Member
    Very good video
    Red Sox in 6!

6. Member
    It's interesting that people seem to like longer rods for this when most in Japan will use shorter than average rods for this technique especially.

Even Deps created a 6'6" Soft Jerking Element rod for this bait. I prefer a short rod without an excessive handle length for this, that way I am not slapping the water with the rod tip or slapping my arm all the time, especially when bank fishing, fishing it in the traditional way...not a lift and fall. I'm 6ft 3 in height.

Hooksets tend to be the reeling up of slack very tightly and then setting (example attached).

I have been looking for the right 6'6" rod for this and in general, just to own one. I will wait for the release/pricing of the Major Craft Days 360 before picking something up. I was using a 6'8" but it felt kind of dead and still 2 inches too long for my needs.

The one thing about it that I do not like it that it's easy to gut hook a fish if you do not realize they are on, they will engulf the bait.

If you want real info and visuals from the motherland copy and paste this into your youtube search: カバースキャット

Here's a video from my friend Taiyo (hookset at 8:57)

Takeru Tomimoto uses the soft Jerking element for this, previously used a Conquest 783c MBR
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CQ7QwA5MHTq/?hl=en
    Last edited by diggy_; 01-19-2023 at 04:20 AM.

7. Member
    "Jerk and fall" from the Deps pro himself - video is time stamped for the underwater shot

8. Member
    The rod in the video posted above is the 783c MBR Conquest 6'6" which I referenced in my post.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diggy_ View Post
    The rod in the video posted above is the 783c MBR Conquest 6'6" which I referenced in my post.
    Personally I think it's more important that w/e rod you use can impart that crisp, slack line tap to the bait in 20ft+ water on straight fluoro. Some people have no issue throwing a jerkbait on 7'2 rods - they simply work the bait to the side as opposed to down, and I see no reason why the cover scat is any different in that regard.

But the videos you and I linked are so much more helpful than someone sitting in front a camera for 10 minutes talking about a bait. Show me a few seconds of underwater footage and the rod action, I can watch it on mute (or in Japanese, ha!) and pick up what I need to know.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reason162 View Post
    Show me a few seconds of underwater footage and the rod action, I can watch it on mute (or in Japanese, ha!) and pick up what I need to know.
    Agreed

11. Member
    That's a beautiful fish in any language! What size do you guys like?

12. Member
    That's a beautiful fish in any language! Dang, another bait to try. What size do you guys like?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybass View Post
    That's a beautiful fish in any language! Dang, another bait to try. What size do you guys like?
    Sorry for the delayed reply. I have all sizes, but use the 3.5 mainly. I was also making a similar bait with the jackall ammonite shad cutting off the tail before these were available.

14. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    I’ve been intrigued by these and can’t wait to try them. I got a few bags but they are very difficult to get your hands on a bag for sure
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Jim View Post
    I’ve been intrigued by these and can’t wait to try them. I got a few bags but they are very difficult to get your hands on a bag for sure
    I know some places that have them in stock in various sizes, if you need them.

You can also fall back on the copy aka the "Heavy Poop" which has some alterations to the shape to help with line twists.

-
    Here's how my friend Taiyo fishes his scat. I've used a similar setup using parts (swivels, hooks, rings) that I had at home based on his suggestions.

He said I can share it.
    -
    66MH Major Craft Days 360 (upcoming)
    DAIWA STEEZ A TW hi gear
    20lb fluorocarbon
    Ryugi limit 5/0 + #2 split ring + #6daiwa swivels

"I hope it will be help you!" - Taiyo
    Last edited by diggy_; 01-31-2023 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by diggy_ View Post
    I know some places that have them in stock in various sizes, if you need them.

You can also fall back on the copy aka the "Heavy Poop" which has some alterations to the shape to help with line twists.

-
    Here's how my friend Taiyo fishes his scat. I've used a similar setup using parts (swivels, hooks, rings) that I had at home based on his suggestions.

He said I can share it.
    -
    66MH Major Craft Days 360 (upcoming)
    DAIWA STEEZ A TW hi gear
    20lb fluorocarbon
    Ryugi limit 5/0 + #2 split ring + #6daiwa swivels

"I hope it will be help you!" - Taiyo
    Thanks very much! Is that set-up for the 3.5 or the bigger one? Thanks again!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Runsome View Post
    Thanks very much! Is that set-up for the 3.5 or the bigger one? Thanks again!
    It's for the 3.5, you'd probably want to upsize the hook to 6/0 for the 4 in

18. Member
    New CS related video

19. Member
    Interview with Kenta Kimura on the Cover Scat at Bass Edge Radio THE EDGE – 393 Kenta Kimura | Bass Edge

I have been experimenting fishing the 3.5 inch deep using the split ring and swivel as recommended above. So far have not caught a bass on it and don't know if I have the patience to fish it that slowly, but am going to keep playing with it. Interesting comment was Kenta talking about the 20 pound flouro being needed to help sink the bait and 20 minute casts (wow!). One thing I need to do is figure out an approximate fall rate on the bait as when I have been fishing it deep it is hard for me to tell when it is on the bottom. Maybe have not fished it in the right circumstances yet. Wish I could understand what they are saying in the Japanese videos. I searched and haven't found one english speaking video on it yet (except for pumping product), except for a guy that fishes it from shore.
    Last edited by Amistad Tackle; 02-19-2023 at 12:13 PM.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amistad Tackle View Post
    Interview with Kenta Kimura on the Cover Scat at Bass Edge Radio THE EDGE – 393 Kenta Kimura | Bass Edge

I have been experimenting fishing the 3.5 inch deep using the split ring and swivel as recommended above. So far have not caught a bass on it and don't know if I have the patience to fish it that slowly, but am going to keep playing with it. Interesting comment was Kenta talking about the 20 pound flouro being needed to help sink the bait and 20 minute casts (wow!). One thing I need to do is figure out an approximate fall rate on the bait as when I have been fishing it deep it is hard for me to tell when it is on the bottom. Maybe have not fished it in the right circumstances yet. Wish I could understand what they are saying in the Japanese videos. I searched and haven't found one english speaking video on it yet (except for pumping product), except for a guy that fishes it from shore.
    There's a video on the hookup tackle where Kenta talks about it as well, fishing rock piles. The good thing about a lot of the Japanese videos is there's tons of content to watch and learn from. The specs are usually posted and you can watch the shore anglers as well as boat anglers. Raid Japan has a bunch of videos with a similar bait also after cutting the tail off of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast