Any Sous Vide Guys?

Got one for Christmas. Just did a big ole fillet, then on the grill to finish and it came out absolutely perfect. Anyone mess around with these much?

2. Member
    I do all of the time. My wife works hours where I am not sure when she will be home so it makes it nice to put things in the sous vide and just sear it when shes almost home. I purchased a searsall for a portable propane tank. It works really well for a quick sear. I made carrots for Christmas and they came out perfect. I am not a huge fan of chicken, it tends to come out rubbery for me, but then again I havent tried for a while.

3. Member
    I just did one of those pre seasoned pork tenderloin last night. I put it in the package it came in at 150 and a couple hours later removed it from the packaging patted it down and seared it and it was perfectly cooked.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Edziu23 View Post
    I just did one of those pre seasoned pork tenderloin last night. I put it in the package it came in at 150 and a couple hours later removed it from the packaging patted it down and seared it and it was perfectly cooked.
    Great idea! I'm like you with a young kid, work etc so dinner time is a guess at the very best. Seems like a valuable tool!

5. Alabama Bass Club Moderator
    With the the exception of shrimp which literally cook in just 90 seconds per side, I use our sous vide for any protein going on the grill. It has totally transformed our cooking!

6. Member
    I have one and use one, but I can’t quite duplicate the same flavor as seering on a hot grill. I always have a screaming hot cast-iron griddle to sear on but still can’t quite duplicate the flavor. Doneness is always perfect though.

7. Member
    All the time. Great for steaks, lamb and definitely venison.

8. Scraps
    Just found out about this on YT. Has me thinking. I know I've done some filets in my air fryer that come out near perfect. Imagine the Joule thingy would do the same.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

9. Member
    Only my 3rd time using it and I did an entire beef tenderloin, came out absolutely perfect! 2 house at 133 and on the grill to finish. Anyone on the fence, I'd say you can go wrong!
    Tenderloin.jpg

10. Member
    How do infuse the flavor? Even searing mine taste like it was boiled. Perfect temp but I can’t get that flavor. Help!

[How do infuse the flavor? Even searing mine taste like it was boiled. Perfect temp but I cant get that flavor. Help!]
    Do all your seasoning in the sous vide bag. Don't be afraid of putting fresh garlic cloves, rosemary, etc. in the bag along with the meat. Salt & pepper are a must! The options are endless!
    Scott Inman

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    I have one and use one, but I can’t quite duplicate the same flavor as seering on a hot grill. I always have a screaming hot cast-iron griddle to sear on but still can’t quite duplicate the flavor. Doneness is always perfect though.
    This is what I've found too. Have you tried searing first and then putting in the sous vide to finish to temp? I haven't, that's why I'm asking.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WPS456 View Post
    This is what I've found too. Have you tried searing first and then putting in the sous vide to finish to temp? I haven't, that's why I'm asking.
    No, sir, I have not tried that. I have friends that season them and then use the sous vide and then throw them on the cast-iron grill. Although the temperature is perfect, I can’t duplicate the flavor I get off of an actual grill. Not even close. I wish I could figure it out. They’re not bad, but nothing I’ve made in a sous vide duplicates an actual hot grill to this point. I guess I don’t know why I keep trying, because I sure like them off a hot grill. I guess probably because I have invested in a sous vide.

Following this. Another tool in the cooking toolbox. Looking at the Anova Culinary to use in a big stock pot with a slotted silicone lid.
    Any suggestions on other setups to consider?
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

15. Member
    Yes. Favorite is salmon. 100 for a couple hours then sear

16. Member
    To me, it’s like boiling your meat and then searing it. It’s just not the same as a hot grill.

17. Member
    To me, it's like a nice, warm, soft little saftey blanky to protect my 40$ fillet from being overcooked while my two year old attempts to get into the knife drawer

A charcoal grill may be better.... but damn it has it's perks

18. Member
    My absolute favorite to do is pre-packaged/seasoned tri-tip from either Sam's or Kroger.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    My absolute favorite to do is pre-packaged/seasoned tri-tip from either Sam's or Kroger.
    realllyy.... That sounds every interesting. How is it seasoned?

Tonight was my first time using one and it will not be the last!!! Assorted pork chops (cut the bones out, vaccum sealed) came out absolutely perfect and tender compared to pan sear then bake. Quick sear/ brown on the flattop and enjoy