Thread: Crankbait Paint

Crankbait Paint

I have always used Createx and in a pinch will use the hobby store acrylics. All water based. Createx is good, but looking for a paint line that produces more vibrant colors. Anyone have a recommendation?

I think 6th Sense and Tackle Kraft Custom Painted Lures | Texas | Tackle Kraft use automotive paints. Their colors just pop more to me than Createx.

I pretty much just use metallic craft paints. Some color shift paints from folk art. The results are amazing to me once they are clear coated.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    I was thinking there was a lacquer based paint out there that was sold in small quantities. I am also using Tamiya and some taxidermy water based paints. I get good results with these paints, but with both the previously mentioned painters they reported taking their painting to another level when they went to automotive paints. Must be a closely guarded secret.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    I pretty much just use metallic craft paints. Some color shift paints from folk art. The results are amazing to me once they are clear coated.
    What do you thin that stuff with? At least I assume it requires some thinning.

I have been making my own thinner/reducer. 2/3 distilled water, 1/3 isopropyl alcohol, and glycerin. 5 drops per ounce. I use it to thin the paint to egg nog consistency for my .8mm airbrush.... Make thinner for smaller needle airbrushes. I use it as a cleaner as well. I mix with an acid brush, Not a wooden stick. This can cause clumps and problems.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

I use taxidermy paint. It’s lacquer. Need good ventilation and a respirator.

Quote Originally Posted by Amistad Tackle View Post
    I was thinking there was a lacquer based paint out there that was sold in small quantities. I am also using Tamiya and some taxidermy water based paints. I get good results with these paints, but with both the previously mentioned painters they reported taking their painting to another level when they went to automotive paints. Must be a closely guarded secret.
    Most people use lacquer based taxidermy paint. I use some automotive paint to dip to get a base coat. I don’t know anyone that sprays automotive paint.