YES Warranty - Opinions??

Hi Guys -
    Lots of great info on the BBC site! Forgive me if this was already covered.....

I'm looking for the pros and cons of extending my YES warranty which is about to expire. I have a 2016 SHO 250HP on a 2017 Skeeter ZX250 with ~100 hours. No codes, no issues, 2nd owner and the warranty was transferred to me. It appears the 3 year plan is $2700 and the 1 year is $1500, 2 years $2300. Are the costs negotiable at dealers? I'm in NH so we have somewhat limited outboard support compared to other areas of the country.

I realize if anything goes wrong there's a lot at stake....but that said, if I do all the preventive maintenance and treat it well, what is my realistic risk? What is the program really going to cover? Can I allocate the expenses/resources better into preventive maintenance?

Does anyone have experience with boat insurance that covers mechanical failure?

I don't want to sound cheap here but $3K is a big nut for a motor that is supposed to very reliable and I don't skimp on service.

I appreciate any feedback and real-world testimonials on this.

2. Member
    I don't think the Yamaha Y.E.S. contract can be extended.

Has something changed?

3. Member
    If the Yam contract can be extended then www.simyamaha.com can offer a discount from the list price.

4. Member
    I just found out that since I'm the 2nd owner I can only get 1 year at $1500 so I think that rules out YES for me.....

5. Member
    I bought mine from sim Yamaha. 3 years for 1800 or so. Best thing you can buy. There’s been known issues with the powerhead going on these motors. Mine was replaced under full warranty plus the lower unit seals. Best thing I ever did was buying that

6. Member
    Most people will not need the warranty which is exactly why they will sell it to you. Those of us that have not had problems don’t feel the need to speak up about it because we expected the motor to work like it was supposed to. There will be some people that need it, most will not.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by okskeetertzx190 View Post
    Most people will not need the warranty which is exactly why they will sell it to you. Those of us that have not had problems don’t feel the need to speak up about it because we expected the motor to work like it was supposed to. There will be some people that need it, most will not.
    I know it's an older post now but still a relevant topic....
    What was said above is kinda what I'm hopefully thinking...I would have have bought the warranty if it seemed reasonable, but $1500 for the one year...kinda a lot. I keep up on preventive maintenance and will treat her well...hopefully its reciprocal.

I have a friend with a 3year old Mercury 4 Stroke Pro XS and the original warranty is expiring. The Mercury warranty is even more $$$$ than Yamaha. He can get more years since he's the original owner but it's $1780 for 1 year up to $5800 for 5. The fact these warranties cost so much makes me feel that the manufacturers must be paying on repairs....pretty scary. It seems like extortion to a point....whereas if you don't pay $6K for a 5 year warranty you're going to suffer the consequences later.

8. Member
    There is another option - find boat insurance that covers “mechanical breakdown”. Seahorse and Travelers are two I know of that has this. Yes, your insurance will be more expensive, but cheaper than the extended warranty prices.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    There is another option - find boat insurance that covers “mechanical breakdown”. Seahorse and Travelers are two I know of that has this. Yes, your insurance will be more expensive, but cheaper than the extended warranty prices.
    That is an interesting option. I don’t know anyone personally that has ever used something like that for an expensive outboard repair but if that works that is possibly a better option.

10. Member
    Any recommendations on insurance companies offering this?? I would be interested.

Thank you

11. Member
    Nevermind!!! I did not read the reply thoroughly! I'll check out those two. thanks again

12. Member
    Do a search on Ben Green Insurance (he’s also easily found on Facebook). They cover a lot of states. Even if your state isn’t covered, a talk with him about how the policy works will be helpful.