Question about Quicksilver reman power heads.

SN OT749027 (or it was). It's an '03 225 efi. While looking at what it's going to take to pull the powerhead and replace the swivel shaft and yoke I ran across this sticker on the powerhead. It's a reman tag from Mercury dated May of '15.

So, I didn't purchase this boat new so I wasn't aware of the original owners history. The guy I purchased it from thought it had been rebuilt but I took it as tongue in cheek.

Does anyone know what comprises a reman powerhead from Mercury? Does it come with injectors and reeds? But the big questions is the Smartcraft gauges show 464 hours on the motor. If this was done at a dealership would the hours in the Smartcraft gauges have been reset to zero? Edit to add: I know the hours are stored in the ecm. So, can they be reset? If not then I don't have any way to know the true hours but they definitely have to be quite a bit lower that 464.

If that's the case then this motor should be good to go for years to come.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by FeFanatic; 01-16-2023 at 07:29 PM.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

2. Member
    basic block assembly , no reset on total run time history , hopefully they were knowledgeable enough to remove steel reeds and replace with composite
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    What you can do:

Get a printout of the RUN HISTORY. When the Break-in Reset occurs, TOTAL HOURS REMAIN.

What DOES disappear is the RPM category times.

Add up the category numbers and you have what is most likely the total hours on "this powerhead".

The powerhead is a rotating (mechanical) assembly (block, heads, and internals). External components are transplanted to it.

The serial number on that tag has a few little hidden tidbits (such as whether or how many cylinders are oversize, initials of the Master Tech that built it, etc). Carried the exact same warranty as a brand-new powerhead.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor