2000 Suzuki DF40..water in bottom cylinder and in oil

Motor was not used for several years, I mounted it on a pontoon boat, changed oil, plugs, impeller, cleaned thermostat, test run on stand, everything was fine. Mounted on pontoon, ran fine for several miles, then started having an intermittent miss, then it started missing constantly, when I slowed down it died, would restart, but was running rough. I pulled the plugs and had water on the bottom plug, compression test shows 120 on all cylinders. Pulled dipstick and the oil is milky and way over full. Even have some water in the intake runners. What say ye suzuki experts??

2. Member
    Blown head gasket by the sounds of it. Blown BIG time.

Not good.

3. Member
    Most likely a blown head gasket but usually the top ones fail first due to low water level/pressure. Have to disassemble it unless you have a borescope, but sounds like it has to come apart.

4. Member
    Yep...disassembly begins tomorrow!!!

5. Member
    Hope it wasn't used in salt water. If bolts don't come out easily, there are several means to try to keep from breaking them. Sometimes intermittent torque rather than constant torque will let them loosen without breaking.

6. Member
    Not a blown head gask20230123_141936.jpg20230123_141936.jpget!! Much worse!!LOL!!

7. Member
    Yikes! That is some corrosion right there!

Had the sacrificial anodes in that engine EVER been changed? Should be checked every 100hrs and changed if necessary, on EVERY Suzuki outboard.

8. Member
    Looks like one of the intake valves was burning too. Let us know what happens. Since the engine exhibits what seems to be a heck of a lot of corrosion, maybe some water sat in the head. Hell, I don't know.
    It might not be worth trying to save. Brackish or salt water?