New fuel filter install on 4 stroke

Why are these things so dang hard to set all the way back down into that lil cup area... i put alil mercury grease(4-2-C) stuff or whatever that stuff is... but that said, i completed my 100 hour service myself and so reason i could not for the life of me get that thing seated all the way down... i guess i won't hurt to run it with it loose... all the connectors are snapped on tight.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kcg202champ View Post
    Why are these things so dang hard to set all the way back down into that lil cup area... i put alil mercury grease(4-2-C) stuff or whatever that stuff is... but that said, i completed my 100 hour service myself and so reason i could not for the life of me get that thing seated all the way down... i guess i won't hurt to run it with it loose... all the connectors are snapped on tight.
    I assume you checked carefully to ensure there were no leaks when it was running? I would bet Don can do it in his sleep, or almost by feel without looking at it. It took me a lot longer than I expected to install the filter on my V8 outboard when I did my 100 hr service, but eventually I got it on. Just seemed like I did not have enough room and the hose were not quite long enough, but eventually everything went back the way it came out.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kcg202champ View Post
    If you would, please take a few moments to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Based solely on the above, we can't tell what 4-stroke you're working on, but I will wager a guess that it's a V6 or V8 Fourstroke.

Filter must rotate to be removed, and then rotate to be installed (it has a slot and notch design to retain it).

Easiest I've found is to:

-Disconnect connector and lines

-Rotate filter counter-clockwise and pull UP

-Install new filter at same rotation position, then rotate CLOCKWISE to lock

-Reconnect lines and electrical connector.

Once you've done it a couple times successfully (as described above) it goes quite easily.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor