Removing rod locker tubes in 1880?

Anyone ever remove the rod tubes in an 1880? There are 6 screws that hold the bracket. I removed the screws but I cannot get the bracket to budge. I don’t want to destroy it because I may want to put it back if I don’t like the locker without the tubes. I’m wondering if it is glued in…Any tricks?

Take your Bow MFD out and you will see the Tubes. Once you see them you will understand why they might be tough to remove. Also will see what your rods would bump into once removed
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

I’m guessing foam. Just talked to the dealer and he thought it was foam. Recommended I take out the trolling pedal recess to see.

4. Member
    Digging the tubes and foam out of there will be a real picnic. You are going to have to really want it. You will then see that you will have to fabricate some sort of enclosure to house your rods to protect them from sharp edges.
    Post pictures and good luck!
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer
    10' Talons w/sandwich brackets

I pass. I thought I could just unscrew the base plate and try it out without it. If I didn’t like, I could just put it back. Not going to do a hack job. Too bad they don’t have the option of having a removable tube holder.

6. Member
    I removed them in my avx1980 so maybe it’s the same in the 1880. I had to take the trolling motor foot pedal holder out (not sure if you have that) and then cut the foam that was holding the rod tubes in. You will see the foam and tubes if you have a foot tray to remove. I used a screw driver to take chunks of the foam out. After I got enough of the foam out I could pull the tube holders out from the port locker. That’s a key, you have to pull the entire tube holder which has all the rod holders in one piece. Then I bought a faceplate which fits exactly into the square from MK2 which I have the link below. The last thing I did was put some carpet down where the rod tips would be to protect them. It was some work but worth it in my opinion.

https://www.mk2designs.com/product-p...-port-rod-boot

7. Member
    I thought about doing it. Pulled my TM tray and took a peek and decided the tubes were fine!
    2021 Vexus AVX 1880 Summit White
    115 Mercury ProXS
    Ultrex
    Twin HBirds
    Garmin 93
    Garmin Livescope

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CazFisherman View Post
    I removed them in my avx1980 so maybe it’s the same in the 1880. I had to take the trolling motor foot pedal holder out (not sure if you have that) and then cut the foam that was holding the rod tubes in. You will see the foam and tubes if you have a foot tray to remove. I used a screw driver to take chunks of the foam out. After I got enough of the foam out I could pull the tube holders out from the port locker. That’s a key, you have to pull the entire tube holder which has all the rod holders in one piece. Then I bought a faceplate which fits exactly into the square from MK2 which I have the link below. The last thing I did was put some carpet down where the rod tips would be to protect them. It was some work but worth it in my opinion.

https://www.mk2designs.com/product-p...-port-rod-boot
    This is outstanding! Thanks for posting the link!! The work will be well worth it. No more broken rod guides. I dread putting rods away with these stupid tubes. And they’re actually pretty decent by rod tube standards.

Keep in mind the 1980 and 1880 are different animals. If your worried about breaking guides use a rod sock. I’m a rod snob and fish all NRX’s. No broken guides yet.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CGraz View Post
    This is outstanding! Thanks for posting the link!! The work will be well worth it. No more broken rod guides. I dread putting rods away with these stupid tubes. And they’re actually pretty decent by rod tube standards.
    No problem. I’m definitely no expert so I feel if I can do it anyone can, it just took some patience. But I really like it now, I don’t have to bend the rods to get them in the tubes and can fit a few more rods in. It makes it easier for me at the end of the day. Chipping the foam away took some time but once you get enough of it off of the tubes it will come out. I did use a screw driver inside the locker to wedge the tube compartment to help feel where the foam was still sticking.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    Keep in mind the 1980 and 1880 are different animals. If your worried about breaking guides use a rod sock. I’m a rod snob and fish all NRX’s. No broken guides yet.
    I have the 1980 and use rod socks on every rod. I’m also very careful. I’ve had three guides brake mid rod. I’ll call it my fault, it happens. But the tubes limit the number of rods and inconvenient.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CazFisherman View Post
    No problem. I’m definitely no expert so I feel if I can do it anyone can, it just took some patience. But I really like it now, I don’t have to bend the rods to get them in the tubes and can fit a few more rods in. It makes it easier for me at the end of the day. Chipping the foam away took some time but once you get enough of it off of the tubes it will come out. I did use a screw driver inside the locker to wedge the tube compartment to help feel where the foam was still sticking.
    Did it yesterday. You’re spot on. It defines takes some patience, wasn’t fun at all and what a huge mess! But in the end it will totaled be worth it. I ordered my boot from Mk2 along with a couple other things. He makes some cool stuff for the AVX. Thanks again for link.

13. Member
    Yep, totally agree with the others that have done it.... I did it on my 2080 and use those neoprene Rod Gloves and the MK2 boot. I do recommend putting some type of mat on the hull floor so your rod tips don't slide under those hull braces. Definitely worth it!!
    IMG_1455.jpgIMG_1472.jpg
    2021 Vexus AVX2080
    Sapphire Blue
    Mercury 200 Pro XS
    Garmin Force - 36v
    Garmin ECHOMAP Ultra 126sv (2)
    Garmin LV34
    Ionic & Epoch lithium batteries