Vault slinging grease out the back

I think the problem is with the SS sleeves that slide over the spindle
    last year I put new calipers, pads, bearings, SS Sleeves, and vault caps on my Marine Master trailer
    -a piece of brake pad broke off got wedged between the rotor and the caliper
    -I saw a little grease weeping out the back, figured the rotor got hot with that piece of brake pad broke off so I thought I’d better replace the bearings and seals while I was doing new brakes

just checking trailer over this winter I noticed I’m slinging grease out the back side on both port and starboard hubs on the axle with the brakes

i played heck getting the old SS sleeves off the spindles and when I went to put a new O-Ring on the spindles then slide the sleeve on, the O-Rings got all wadded up

Marine Master wasn’t too much help over the phone
    looking for some insight or a video as to how to make sure that darn Oring stays in the groove of the spindle while I hammer a new sleeve on

Thought I had all this licked last winter when I did all this work
    any help on getting that sleeve and Oring to seat properly would be greatly appreciated

2. Member
    My vault system didn’t have any o rings on spindle sleeves. I had to make dremel cut in sleeves to get them off.

3. Member
    Did you replace the seals? If not, I would start there. If you did, verify that the seals are properly sized. The 3500 lb axle set up from UFP uses a 1.68" ID seal and the more common size is a 1.72" so you may have inadvertently gotten that. I've given the seal part number to a hardware store and had them hand me a 1.72" ID seal before. They will definitely throw grease even with that small of a difference.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    My vault system didn’t have any o rings on spindle sleeves. I had to make dremel cut in sleeves to get them off.
    The Oring fits in a groove on the spindle itself, and the sleeve is supposed slid over

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lmoore View Post
    Did you replace the seals? If not, I would start there. If you did, verify that the seals are properly sized. The 3500 lb axle set up from UFP uses a 1.68" ID seal and the more common size is a 1.72" so you may have inadvertently gotten that. I've given the seal part number to a hardware store and had them hand me a 1.72" ID seal before. They will definitely throw grease even with that small of a difference.
    Thanks for the replies guys I’ll verify the seals as I plan to replace them too

6. Member
    Some things to think of: make sure your seal is the double lipped seal. When I redid my vault hubs on my brake axle, I bought the UFP/Dexter branded Vault specific seals to make sure I got the right stuff. That vault grease gets really thin and can seep past a questionable seal. Also, to help get the sleeve on, try heating it up with a torch or something to help it expand and slide over the o-ring. You could also put a little grease on the o-ring. If I remember right, I actually put RTV on the o-ring to create a better seal and it helped lube it up a bit too.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dabassking View Post
    Some things to think of: make sure your seal is the double lipped seal. When I redid my vault hubs on my brake axle, I bought the UFP/Dexter branded Vault specific seals to make sure I got the right stuff. That vault grease gets really thin and can seep past a questionable seal. Also, to help get the sleeve on, try heating it up with a torch or something to help it expand and slide over the o-ring. You could also put a little grease on the o-ring. If I remember right, I actually put RTV on the o-ring to create a better seal and it helped lube it up a bit too.
    Ya know I ordered from one of the BBC sponsors didn’t really look at that
    i’ll double check

I personally believe the seal is hitting the grease hole on the sleeve and wearing out. It runs so close to that hole there is no room for error.

9. Member
    Timken #470460 is the seal. You can cross reference that part number to another brand. But make sure to only use a high quality name brand. Dexter/UFP seals and bearings are Chinese junk.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blair B View Post
    Timken #470460 is the seal. You can cross reference that part number to another brand. But make sure to only use a high quality name brand. Dexter/UFP seals and bearings are Chinese junk.
    Dang it too late I already got the UFP stuff but that’s good to know-I should consider sending the UFP stuff back

I use UFP seals, bearings/races, SS wear rings and Trailer Buddy bearing protectors in my UFP hubs. I install the SS wear rings, seals and bearing protectors with high temp red RTV.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

Quote Originally Posted by Blair B View Post
    agree!!

13. Member
    I’d send it back and only use high quality parts from companies that are known for their high quality bearings and seals.

14. Member
    Here’s a parts list for a UFP DB-35 3.7k axle.

Timken Set 4 bearings and races
    Timken Set 13 bearing and races
    Timken 470460 seal
    Vault 1.98” protective cap (UFP recommends replacing the protective cap)
    UFP 32742 O-ring for behind Vault cap
    UFP 33522 wear sleeve
    UFP 32736 O-ring for under wear sleeve
    1 tube of Vault Hybrid Oil/Grease.
    PacificTrailers.com has great prices on the UFP parts, Amazon has good prices on the Timken parts.