Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have burnt a blister or 3 on the dam things, they get hot in the sun and it doesn't have to be summer sun either. I need to get my locker bar made and change them out to the plastic pull cups that was mentioned above.
    2014 X19
    2014 200 SHO

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by I fish 4 Bass View Post
    Not me if that’s what your saying. Fish big water tournaments and it will happen. I just made a comment that the water filling the boat will raise a lid if not latched. Trying to help someone out. If your on small water, and don’t go out if it’s rough, you don’t need to tell me to stay home.
    I apologize. I was using the word "you" collectively, I didn't mean you as an individual. Each of us makes that decision.

You're right again. We will cancel a tournament if the conditions are as severe as you describe. We're in bass boats and they don't handle big waves that well. Our largest waters are the Potomac River and the Chesapeake Bay, as you can see on the http://neveronsunday.org/schedule/ page.

We will cancel if the weather demands and fish another day. We are definitely not Great Lakes fisherman, especially in gale force winds. Each Tournament Director or participant makes their own decision.

I will say, my hatches have never flown open due to waves, and I hope I am never in conditions that would cause it to happen. It would surely be hard for me to catch bass in those conditions.
    Last edited by billnorman1; 01-22-2023 at 06:35 AM.

3. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by WranglerSS View Post
    I switched to slam latches on my last boat and current one. My biggest issue with the Perko style is forgetting to flipping it down and tripping over them.

Where did you get the SLAM latches?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limit5bass View Post
    Where did you get the SLAM latches?
    I went with the Gemlux stainless latches.
    2013 Bullet 21XRD
    2020 Mercury 300R 1E080760
    3 Garmin 126SV
    LVS34/LVS32
    Ultrex with iPilot Link
    8' Raptors

Quote Originally Posted by wishitwasbigger View Post
    So, it looks like I'm not the only one that hates them damn things! I think skeeterator feels my pain! It never fails that if you leave one up, your gonna trip on it. And pabasshawk is right, they are pot metal or even worse - plastic. Highcentered - I saw some replacement cups somewhere but I cannot remember where? I will try to find them. I quite caring once I got rid of the last boat, but still can't believe they still use them on $70,000 boats!
    You obviously read my reply wrong. I'm in my boat 100 days a year and I've NEVER tripped on a perko latch and can't believe that this is an actual problem. Is it too complicated for you guys to lay them flat after you're done in a compartment? Definitely operator error if you're leaving them upright.

6. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    You obviously read my reply wrong. I'm in my boat 100 days a year and I've NEVER tripped on a perko latch and can't believe that this is an actual problem. Is it too complicated for you guys to lay them flat after you're done in a compartment? Definitely operator error if you're leaving them upright.
    When I'm dropshotting in the Summer and don't want my bag of worms laying out in the sun I sometimes forget to flip the latch back down. Always seen and corrected the issue before it became one though...or just waited and flipped it back down after opening the lid to grab another worm, lol.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

No one likes a pot licker or GPS pirate. FIND YOUR OWN FISH!

7. Member
    I agee. The Perko latches are terrible. Champion had it figured out years ago with the lift straps.

8. Member
    I don't understand the craze with slam latches. I prefer the twist and lock... More secure and actually pulls the lid down.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12