Thumbs Up 6 beeps while idling for a short time

Took boat out first time this year. While I was waiting on partner to park the trailer, I let it idle. After about 5-7 minutes i hear 6 short beeps. I had no issues that day running it on plane up and down the lake. Stopped/fished, fired back up and ran the lake several times. I get back to dock, drop off partner, again while waiting on him to get the trailer, I hear 6 short beeps after just a few minutes. I just changed the oil tank inside motor. Had a bad sensor, I think and was kicking me off plane. That is no longer happening since I replaced the oil tank. Just had the 6 short beeps after launch and when waiting to load. Anyone seen this before or know what the 6 short beeps mean?

2016 Mercury ProXS 175 HP

Motor Info from sticker:

Model# 1175P73EY
    Serial: 2B123570
    175L PXS

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

3. Member
    fault scan is in order for several possibilities
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Is an opti 175hp a 3.0L?

I don't see 6 beeps in the above link.

My OEM Mercury manual for my 3.0L motor says I could hear 2 beeps, continuous beep, or 4 beeps 2 minutes off. No mention of 6 beeps. Was 6 beeps the sound of your truck backing up!?....LoL....

FYI: Guardian system activation is for engine overheat, air compressor overheat, block water pressure low, TPI failure, temp sensor (head or air comp), battery voltage (low or high), and oil pump failure.
    Last edited by Another Distraction; 01-16-2023 at 11:00 AM.
    2022 mercury 250HP
    s/n 3B216469
    0 hrs.
    Smart craft gauges

5. Member
    It was definitely 6 short beeps. Happened twice while idling and I counted them. I thought it was 2.5L but I’ll have to find paperwork to be sure

6. Member
    You posted in the 3.0L forum by mistake.
    2022 mercury 250HP
    s/n 3B216469
    0 hrs.
    Smart craft gauges

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Distraction View Post
    Is an opti 175hp a 3.0L?

I don't see 6 beeps in the above link.

My OEM Mercury manual for my 3.0L motor says I could hear 2 beeps, continuous beep, or 4 beeps 2 minutes off. No mention of 6 beeps. Was 6 beeps the sound of your truck backing up!?....LoL....

FYI: Guardian system activation is for engine overheat, air compressor overheat, block water pressure low, TPI failure, temp sensor (head or air comp), battery voltage (low or high), and oil pump failure.
    OBSERVATIONS:

-I'll move the post, it's a 2.5L model.

-Guardian can activate for a NUMBER of reasons, the list provided above is not an exhaustive list.

-Warning horns are just that. A WARNING. The horn sequence you heard is considered a NON-CRITICAL warning. What that means is that you should proceed safely (and directly) back to port, and get the engine in for service.

The horn may cease sounding until the next key cycle- that does NOT mean that the engine has "healed" itself

Get the engine on the G3 Diagnostic Tool, or a suitable scan tool for printouts of the Run History and Freeze Frame/Fault History.

For your engine's sake, PLEASE don't continue running it. It just may save you a powerhead...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Thank you. Will do.

9. Member
    Not saying this is what it is, but mine would do the exact same thing as yours when I idled or when I was waiting on someone when I took it in and they put it on the scanner. They said it was a low voltage in the battery may want to check your battery. My battery was five years old. I had it replaced and have not got to try it yet.

10. Banned
    I get the same thing when idling. Aint been able to figure it out. I know if i slightly rev it up once every few minutes i dont get these beeps. Had it at the shop and they aint fixed it. 2019 250 2 stroke pro xs. Good luck

Fyi i got the big ionic cranking batty

11. Member
    lake test with tech clear all faults rescan after fault occurs ,fault will be only one stored in history, very simple , or find another tech for repair good luck
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Manatee Mauler View Post
    I get the same thing when idling. Aint been able to figure it out. I know if i slightly rev it up once every few minutes i dont get these beeps. Had it at the shop and they aint fixed it. 2019 250 2 stroke pro xs. Good luck

Fyi i got the big ionic cranking batty
    While the same information applies- please open your own SEPARATE post for your separate engine (see Announcements at the top of the Forum).

Quote Originally Posted by Joe54
    lake test with tech clear all faults rescan after fault occurs ,fault will be only one stored in history, very simple , or find another tech for repair good luck
    ^^^^ Spot-on advice.

Please note: In a situation such as Manatee Mauler mentioned, it's quite possible that you might actually be OVER-RIDING the PCM's fault parameters and preventing it from protecting your engine.

One good example (and a likely candidate of several dozen possible causes) would be a Thermostat Fault. If you accelerate, you may have "forced-override" of the Timer for Thermostat Fault Strategy. A very large majority of the powerhead failures we see are caused by this type of fault/action.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Member
    Thanks all…Can someone recommend a trustworthy Mercury technician in or near Cookeville, TN?

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The link to the right is a list of CSI Award Winning (Platinum Service) Dealers in your area. You're lucky to have quite a few! >> CLICK HERE <<

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    The link to the right is a list of CSI Award Winning (Platinum Service) Dealers in your area. You're lucky to have quite a few! >> CLICK HERE <<

Thank you. Guessing they have to be pretty good and honest to make this list? In my experience with 3 shops here, i didnt see that. Was charged $800 for a part once to fix older engine. It ran a couple of months afterward. Just dont know who i can trust.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    The link to the right is a list of CSI Award Winning (Platinum Service) Dealers in your area. You're lucky to have quite a few! <a href="https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/find-a-dealer/?latitude=36.162839&amp;longitude=-85.5016423&amp;q=cookeville%2C+tn&amp;services[]=mercury-outboard,outboard-premier,verado-qualified&amp;services[]=premier,diesel-premier,mercruiser-premier,outboard-premier&amp;services[]=BOOL_csi_award" target="_blank">&gt;&gt; CLICK HERE &lt;&lt;</a>
    Thank you. Guessing they have to be pretty good and honest to make this list? In my experience with 3 shops here, i didnt see that. Was charged $800 for a part once to fix older engine. It ran a couple of months afterward. Just dont know who i can trust.

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Their customers seem to feel that way.

18. Member
    There is also a Tennessee fishing forum on this site, might ask for a recommendation on there.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay