Thread: Trim motor

Trim motor

Mercury 250 ProXS V-8 Serial# 3B175948

I was in my barn(fortunately) and heard then saw my motor trim all the way up on its own. The trim motor continued to run until I held the up or down position on any of the trim switches
    (motor, shifter, blinker trim) then the motor would stop running. I disconnected then reconnected the cranking battery and the trim functions returned to normal. Is the problem resolved or do I need
    to see about having the relays checked or replaced? No fault codes on vessel view. I am keeping the battery disconnected when I'm not there. Thanks Sandy

2. Member
    You fresh water guys don't like battery switches but any salt water boat worth anything has a master battery switch that gets turned "off" when boats not used. Don't burn down your barn!

Look at one of the tilt switches, I bet that's you're issue.
    2022 mercury 250HP
    s/n 3B216469
    0 hrs.
    Smart craft gauges

3. Member
    I bet problem is likely in one of the switches. Will take some time to pin it down to which. Battery switch or take wire off battery when your not there till to get it figured out.
    Most folks have 4 switches........some more and a few less.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Relays don't normally just "activate" on their own. An input is needed (with extremely rare exception).

Check the trim switches for moisture or corrosion- especially bow or blinker trim switches. You can eliminate individual switches and monitor to see if problem persists.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thank You
    I will check the switches. We have had 2 weeks of rain here with 90 to 100 percent humidity.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandy mcgeoch View Post
    Thank You
    I will check the switches. We have had 2 weeks of rain here with 90 to 100 percent humidity.
    likely impacting 1 or more of your switches. good luck you have Easter egg hunt on your hands.

As suggested above by (AD) once you find the problem and get it fixed install a master battery switch. With all the electronics on your boat and the outboard a master switch to turn everything off is something to consider. Also if your charging your battery and the charger malfunctions or a storm occurs with lightning you will have some protection. You may want a disconnect switch for your trolling motor may save you a couple grand$.