Rod builders help..

A few years ago I bought a custom rod that used an MHX MB843 blank to make a casting rod. I'm wondering what commercial rod this is similar to.

Thanks guys

843 mbr Loomis?

3. Member
    What Haze said. Same badging as loomis. 1st numbers are length & 3rd is power. But lots of different blanks with same badging (glx, imx, imx pro….). Lots available for sale.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Okie2 View Post
    What Haze said. Same badging as loomis. 1st numbers are length & 3rd is power. But lots of different blanks with same badging (glx, imx, imx pro….). Lots available for sale.
    SO quality wise is it like GLX, IMX, IMXpro, neither or other brand?

5. Member
    Just considering the blank quality wise, I’d probably put it up against any rod in the $200-$250 price range. So Loomis GCX, Cashion Elites, Kistler Argons etc. I wouldn’t put them in the same class as an IMX.

I haven’t built a ton of rods on MHX blanks but for those that I have used, I’ve really liked every one of them (except for CRB). My MHX color series SJ842 is just as good if not better than my St Croix Avids.

it’s hard to get a “factory” comparison on a blank that isn’t using identical blanks so this is just my opinion though.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

6. Member
    Thank you i appreciated your opinion.

7. Member
    IMX is a forty year old carbon, IM7, in essence exactly what your blank is similar to, at least in material.

8. Member
    This is just personal, subjective, “feel”. To me, the standard MHX seems to be about the same as Loomis’ IMX. The HM MHX, MIGHT be close to the GLX. If it isn’t, the newer MHX Elite-X might just bridge the gap (though I hate the painted blanks and almost feel it takes away some sensitivity). I honestly feel the North Fork Composites blanks are more reminiscent of the original Loomis’ (in both feel and look).

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    A few years ago I bought a custom rod that used an MHX MB843 blank to make a casting rod. I'm wondering what commercial rod this is similar to.

Thanks guys
    If you like it just get another rod builder to build you one.