Expride 610M-Glass and 70M-Glass

Anyone have both the 610M and 7M Glass exprides? Trying to figure out what's the difference, if one is more meant for spinner/chatterbaits and the other crankbaits.

Looking for a composite rod to throw squarebills, flatsides, mid divers 1/4 - 1/2oz.

2. Member
    I can't help with the 7' M, but the 610M glass is my go-to for chatterbaits up to 3/8oz. It's just about perfect for the mini-max and the stealth blades, which is what I throw most of the time.

It also doubles as a fantastic square bill rod in tight cover. I fish primarily shallow rivers out of a kayak for spots, smallies and Guadalupe bass and this rod is always with me.

For normal chatterbait usage, it's a little on the light side, especially with anything over 1/2oz. That being said, I very rarely miss bites and never lose fish once they're connected. I'd highly recommend it.

3. Member
    Ty!!

What's the lightest total payload you can comfortably throw on the 610M-G? 1/4oz?

Would you use it for small cranks like the Z2 with #8 trebles? Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by thelastcoco View Post
    I can't help with the 7' M, but the 610M glass is my go-to for chatterbaits up to 3/8oz. It's just about perfect for the mini-max and the stealth blades, which is what I throw most of the time.

It also doubles as a fantastic square bill rod in tight cover. I fish primarily shallow rivers out of a kayak for spots, smallies and Guadalupe bass and this rod is always with me.

For normal chatterbait usage, it's a little on the light side, especially with anything over 1/2oz. That being said, I very rarely miss bites and never lose fish once they're connected. I'd highly recommend it.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reason162 View Post
    Ty!!

What's the lightest total payload you can comfortably throw on the 610M-G? 1/4oz?

Would you use it for small cranks like the Z2 with #8 trebles? Thanks!!
    I have the 7' Med glass. It will bomb a Z2. I use a Daiwa alphas ct sv on it. That is one of my favorite cranks. I chose the 7' over the 6'10" because I wanted the longer casting distance and it has a longer handle. I was surprised how light it is for being a glass rod.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishon!sc View Post
    I have the 7' Med glass. It will bomb a Z2. I use a Daiwa alphas ct sv on it. That is one of my favorite cranks. I chose the 7' over the 6'10" because I wanted the longer casting distance and it has a longer handle. I was surprised how light it is for being a glass rod.
    Awesome! Can you still feel bottom with the crank on fluoro? I've never used a glass composite

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reason162 View Post
    Awesome! Can you still feel bottom with the crank on fluoro? I've never used a glass composite
    It's not graphite but I can feel the bottom. I do not use it for sq bills very often. I like a faster graphite rod for that. A slower rod will pull your crank when it bounces off of rock and what not. Mess with the action of the crank. Get you hung up. I use the expride more for cranking over points and humps. Tops of trees and brush piles. Open water. I really like the rod. It's comfortable to fish with all day and it excels for what I use it for.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishon!sc View Post
    It's not graphite but I can feel the bottom. I do not use it for sq bills very often. I like a faster graphite rod for that. A slower rod will pull your crank when it bounces off of rock and what not. Mess with the action of the crank. Get you hung up. I use the expride more for cranking over points and humps. Tops of trees and brush piles. Open water. I really like the rod. It's comfortable to fish with all day and it excels for what I use it for.
    Thank you - exactly the info I was looking for.

8. Member
    For whatever it's worth, the expride a 610M glass weighs 4.7oz. For comparison sake, the expride a 610M jerkbait rod weighs 4oz and the expride a 7'2 MH/F weighs 4.5oz

And I would echo what the other poster said - they don't feel heavy and are pleasant to fish all day.
    Last edited by thelastcoco; 01-20-2023 at 03:10 PM.

9. Member
    would these glass rods throw shad raps very well? is there a better casting rod option for shad raps?

10. Member
    thoughts?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastcoco View Post
    For whatever it's worth, the expride a 610M glass weighs 4.7oz. For comparison sake, the expride a 610M jerkbait rod weighs 4oz and the expride a 7'2 MH/F weighs 4.5oz

And I would echo what the other poster said - they don't feel heavy and are pleasant to fish all day.
    Shimano Japan's website have the 7'M-G listed at 4.3oz, so I don't see how the 610MG can be 4.7 - that's heavy indeed.

12. Member
    I weighed them on my kitchen scale. I suppose my scale could be off but its usually pretty accurate. 4.7oz isn't heavy in the realm of glass and glass Composite rods in my experience.

My deep Crank rod is a 7' MH s-glass and it comes in at 6.66oz.

An older model 610M/F Curado comes in at 4.73oz

An Abu Garcia Fatasista Premier 610MH/F is 4.97oz.

Now it isn't light either - a Kistler 610LMH Jerkbait rod is 3.2oz, a Kistler 69LMH KLX is 3.5oz and a Kistler 69M/XFast saltwater rod is 3.1oz.

So the 610MG expride at 4.7oz is about what I'd expect for a high end composite rod in that weight class. It's worth noting too that it's a little over-powered. It's on the heavy side of medium and is rated to throw 7/8oz which is a lot for a Medium power rod.