Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I bought a pair of Gen one 8’ Talons when they first came out (2009?). Used them until this past May when I sold my Z20 and bought a ‘22 R boat. The guy that bought my Z20 tells me the Talons still work perfectly. There has never been a wrench on those Talons. Ford / Chevy deal.
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Rich View Post
    I bought a pair of Gen one 8’ Talons when they first came out (2009?). Used them until this past May when I sold my Z20 and bought a ‘22 R boat. The guy that bought my Z20 tells me the Talons still work perfectly. There has never been a wrench on those Talons. Ford / Chevy deal.
    Exactly. The “buy the ones I have cause they’re awesome and the other stuff is junk” posts are stale.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerboy34 View Post
    My personal experiences with Talons would make me stay away from them. I've seen them have issues holding the boat and if you fish in any vegetation with gunk on the bottom, they will eventually get buildup inside of them and have issues.
    I fish a lot of weeds and gunk, but the talons have a rinse hole. I run a little water down after every trip and never had an issue. Not saying it can’t still happen. They also have a retractor nut on top if they ever get stuck down. I keep a cheap rathet and socket on board just in case. I’ve never had to use it however. Just trying to give information, not calling you out.

To the op, I agree with above post, it’s Chevy/ford.

4. Member
    Thanks for all the info guys . I have watched every YouTube video on shallow water anchors i can find and y’all are right it seems to be a ford/ Chevy thing. Once my dealer get back from the boat show next week I will call him and get his opinion . My boat is there anyway right now due to a NEMA data problem , so I would like to get the anchors installed while he has it . Based on the four new 520r’s the had on the lot ,all had pp blades, he is going to suggest the blades but we will see !
    2022 z520r

5. Member
    Ok. I called the dealership where my boat is being repaired and spoke to the owner about having shallow water anchors installed while it’s there. He began telling me that he uses Raptors on his personal boat and loves them and tells me that’s the best way to go but then he ask me what kind of boat I have there being worked on and I tell him a 520r. There is a moment of silence and he says “let me back up on that, you probably want power poles”. He goes on to explain that the power poles will integrate into the RIDE system and can be controlled from there, the raptors/talons cannot be integrated. So I asked about tinkering with the RIDE system and the possibility of stirring up problems with it. He said it’s no problem and so far it has not been an issue with any of the others they’ve sold. So after all that I’m gettin a pair of 8’ blades. Hopefully they will be as glorious as my friends tell me they are !
    Last edited by Cmart334; 02-03-2023 at 09:27 PM.
    2022 z520r

6. Member
    Good deal and hope they work great for you

7. Member
    Unless they have made improvements in the last couple years, I have always found that Talons rattle a lot. Very annoying!

John

8. Member
    You will love them.Even if you have never had/used them they are a game changer unless you fish predominately deeper water.I have had both and definitely prefer the power poles over the talons for the simple fact that they are out of the way when deployed and not impeding casting from the rear deck.Also wonderful if you fish alone a lot as they pretty much eliminate the need for dock lines when launching /hauling out.
    2007 Ranger Z21 Intracoastal, 07 Yamaha 250 HPDI

9. Member
    Thanks Jamey. I do fish alone most of the time. I fish Guntersville, Eufaula, coosa river etc. I’m not a big off shore guy so you’re right I’m sure I will use them a lot once I get in the habit of it. I think they will come in handy when the wind is blowing and I get hung up on the bank and trying to get my lure back to prevent the stern from swinging into the rocks, seawall , dock etc. like you said the boat ramp will be a little easier also .
    2022 z520r

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 99R93S View Post
    I fish a lot of weeds and gunk, but the talons have a rinse hole. I run a little water down after every trip and never had an issue. Not saying it can’t still happen. They also have a retractor nut on top if they ever get stuck down. I keep a cheap rathet and socket on board just in case. I’ve never had to use it however. Just trying to give information, not calling you out.

To the op, I agree with above post, it’s Chevy/ford.
    I'm aware of the retractor nut and so was the guy who owned it. Even with that it was completely locked up and he couldn't get it to move. Not saying it's a common thing, but it's something I witnessed.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerboy34 View Post
    I'm aware of the retractor nut and so was the guy who owned it. Even with that it was completely locked up and he couldn't get it to move. Not saying it's a common thing, but it's something I witnessed.
    Crazy. Sorry that happened. That would really suck for sure.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 99R93S View Post
    Crazy. Sorry that happened. That would really suck for sure.
    I had the same thing happen with a Talon.They work with pulleys and steel cable, the cable jumped off the pulley under power and basically "backlashed".Had to remove the top cover and cut the cable in order to get it up.

13. Member
    Ok I picked up my boat today and so far so good. The poles operating through the RIDE system is interesting. They had to update my software to 2.3 version. Now there is a tab at the bottom of the screen (beside first fish button) . When I press it it goes to another screen that allows me to set the speed of the poles (1,2,3) and control them separate or together. I will update again if I discover anything else.
    2022 z520r

14. Member
    If your running Lawrence units they will interface there as well.The stomp switches are where it's at for convenience.I don't even take the remotes out of the glovebox anymore.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12