Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Are the alpha angler rods really built on x ray blanks?? I don't know how they could afford to do that and stay competitive at the price point of the rod.... not at all saying they are bad rods as EVERYTHING I have heard and read says otherwise... it is just speculative how that could be lucrative for them... but who knows
    07 tracker TX 190
    75 horse Mercury
    999 KVD, 859 , and 798 SI HD

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NRXfever View Post
    Are the alpha angler rods really built on x ray blanks?? I don't know how they could afford to do that and stay competitive at the price point of the rod.... not at all saying they are bad rods as EVERYTHING I have heard and read says otherwise... it is just speculative how that could be lucrative for them... but who knows
    No idea if they are truly the X Ray blanks, as there are no markings on the blanks at all, BUT I will say as I inspect the blank it so very much reminds me of the last generation of NRX rods with the unfinished blanks that would show marks, rubs and scraps more than blanks with a finish on them. Honestly with the blue accents thread wraps, if you ignore the logo, you would think you are holding the pre NRX + generation blank/rod.

Two areas AA could be making up $$ on margin, is one they are no where near as big as Loomis/Shimano, so one might think they don't carry the overhead that Loomis/Shimano does. And, they use recoil guides and Fuji Alconite guides around the recoil guides, so there may be cost reduction there with respect to margin??

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NRXfever View Post
    I'm not confident myself and put it in "if they really ARE..." brackets, so to speak. Was basing my assumptions on this thread here, which isn't conclusive: http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=83675
    NFC blank sounds likely based on the descriptions, but there ARE a bunch of other blank manufacturers in Woodland, including Lamiglas.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakestar View Post
    I'm not confident myself and put it in "if they really ARE..." brackets, so to speak. Was basing my assumptions on this thread here, which isn't conclusive: http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=83675
    NFC blank sounds likely based on the descriptions, but there ARE a bunch of other blank manufacturers in Woodland, including Lamiglas.
    I am fairly certain it is NOT a Lamiglas blank. Not sure on NFC, but I am fairly certain it is not a Lamiglas.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MainelySmallmouth View Post
    I try not to get caught up in who fishes a rod, in this case BP, but he is one of the BEST smallmouth fishermen on the planet and he swears by this rod.
    It's a sponsorship deal though, right? I'm just always wary of those because of the dynamics involved... Not that it seems to negatively affect his fishing, but Jacob Wheeler fishes $150 Duckett rods And Aaron Martens (RIP) went from Megabass to Enigma rods because it made sense money-wise (only to end up with Loomis when that deal ran out). I'd expect the AA rods to be good enough for any professional fisherman, but I don't think it makes them high-end by default.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakestar View Post
    It's a sponsorship deal though, right? I'm just always wary of those because of the dynamics involved... Not that it seems to negatively affect his fishing, but Jacob Wheeler fishes $150 Duckett rods And Aaron Martens (RIP) went from Megabass to Enigma rods because it made sense money-wise (only to end up with Loomis when that deal ran out). I'd expect the AA rods to be good enough for any professional fisherman, but I don't think it makes them high-end by default.
    If you listen to BP talk about his relationship with AA (or any of his current fishing relationships), for him these things seem to transcend money. In fact, you could make the argument that there are other more national brands that could pay PB WAY MORE money than AA could, so I think that speaks to there has to be something else about BP's relationship with AA that is deeper than $$s. My guess is that he has tons of say into the way they design and build rods, the powers, actions, length of the entire line. I think he is more a business partner with Jake Boomer than he is just a sponsored fisherman.

That said, I don't disagree that just because BP uses AA rods exclusively, that it means that they are high end sticks. I would say that the components the rods are built with determine what is, and is not, high end, regardless of who fishes them.

7. Member
    I guess it depends on one's definition of "high end". A rod's price isn't the way to determine that. A big reason Loomis rods are so $$$ is because so many guys break em (accidentally and on purpose, lol) and use the warranty. Re Brandon and Alpha, I am sure he partners with Jake because they are from the Pac Northwest and good friends. Plus he probably has Jake custom design rods for him. The fact that he could have any rod sponsor he wants says a lot about BP as a person - though I'm sure he earns plenty from other sponsors and did the math. In the end we just need to pick a rod that feels good in our hands and fish it until it becomes one with us

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMSDJS View Post
    I guess it depends on one's definition of "high end". A rod's price isn't the way to determine that. A big reason Loomis rods are so $$$ is because so many guys break em (accidentally and on purpose, lol) and use the warranty. Re Brandon and Alpha, I am sure he partners with Jake because they are from the Pac Northwest and good friends. Plus he probably has Jake custom design rods for him. The fact that he could have any rod sponsor he wants says a lot about BP as a person - though I'm sure he earns plenty from other sponsors and did the math. In the end we just need to pick a rod that feels good in our hands and fish it until it becomes one with us
    Totally agree. Pick gear that fits you and your style of fishing, no matter what that gear is. I have held some VERY HIGH END gear in my hands that just didn't feel right to me and the way I fish. And I have fished some gear that people would consider very average, that I truly loved. To each their own, fully recognizing that this is not focus of this thread.

I think I referenced BP for the very reason you pointed, ie that it says a lot about him supporting/repping AA, as I don't think he would tell you its the best drop shot rod at any price point, if he didn't mean it and he didn't think the rod could back it up. I honestly think he is a completely different animal when it comes to repping fishing gear to average anglers based on where he came from. I also realize that I could be entirely naive and wrong in saying and thinking that way...

That said, the high end rod disclaimer to me is a statement about components. By that I mean, does a rod use high end components in its build.... A good rod that performs well and is sensitive, doesn't have to be built with the best components on earth to be good. There are lots of rods that fall into this category that are GREAT fishing tools. That said, I think for a rod to be considered, or called, high end, it has to be built with the best components on earth.... At least that is where I am coming from when using the phrase high end, if that makes sense.

9. Member
    All great points. I think if dropshot is your main weapon then absolutely get what you think feels the best. I don’t do enough dropshotting to give any input even though I fish one of the dropshot meccas, St Clair. I love moving baits too
    much lol. Good luck with you quest!

10. Member
    I like to drop shot light weights in clear open water with nose hooked plastics. I bought a Phenix K2 TX-713ML at the beginning of last season and love it. It's more light than medium light but has a fast action and is every bit as sensitive as my NRX DSR. It pairs well with a Daiwa Luvius Airity 3000 CXH and 15 lb braid. I was going to go with a Steez AGS 7'1" ML but from all I've read, this rod fishes more like a med than a med light so I went with the K2. I couldn't be happier.

11. Member
    The absolute best one is that Dobyns xtasy that you sold me
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

12. Member
    I absolutely loved that line of rods, but the one thing I could just never get comfortable with is that the handle and reel seats on that rod line just doesn't fit the way I prefer to hold a rod, which is all four fingers ahead of the reel stem. Other than that I think the Xtasy line is second to none in terms of high-end build quality and sensitivity. Gary hit a home run with that line of rods.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    The absolute best one is that Dobyns xtasy that you sold me
    Last edited by MainelySmallmouth; 03-21-2023 at 02:40 PM.

13. Member
    I absolutely loved that line of rods, but the one thing I could just never get comfortable with is that the handle and real seats on that rod line just doesn't fit the way I prefer to hold a rod, which is all four fingers ahead of the reel stem. Other than that I think the Xtasy like this second to none in terms of high-end build quality and sensitivity. Gary hit a home run with that line of rods.
    The handle is a touch long for dropshotting. I hold mine with 3 fingers ahead of the reel stem, so the grip is great for me. I love the way that rod works though, almost considering getting another one in medium for dropshotting 3/8-1/2 ounce when its deep or windy. I use a 3/8 occasionally on the medium light, works ok but that is pushing it a little bit.

Sorry I'm no help on your original question
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    The handle is a touch long for dropshotting. I hold mine with 3 fingers ahead of the reel stem, so the grip is great for me. I love the way that rod works though, almost considering getting another one in medium for dropshotting 3/8-1/2 ounce when its deep or windy. I use a 3/8 occasionally on the medium light, works ok but that is pushing it a little bit.

Sorry I'm no help on your original question

The 723 fishes like a medium heavy. I've fished that rod a ton and think it would handle 1/2 oz drop shot weights well. You'd definitely have to go up in line size, like 12 lb test or higher for leader. But it's a super sensitive stick with a ton of backbone.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by njbasscat View Post
    I like to drop shot light weights in clear open water with nose hooked plastics. I bought a Phenix K2 TX-713ML at the beginning of last season and love it. It's more light than medium light but has a fast action and is every bit as sensitive as my NRX DSR. It pairs well with a Daiwa Luvius Airity 3000 CXH and 15 lb braid. I was going to go with a Steez AGS 7'1" ML but from all I've read, this rod fishes more like a med than a med light so I went with the K2. I couldn't be happier.
    Yep, it's a great blank and a great DS rod. I'd do a ton of that on mine if I didn't have the casting model (I still do some on it in open water, and Ned rigs and small jerkbaits.)

16. Member
    So, as a wrap up on this thread, based on the feedback and conversation, I decided to stick with the Steez rods and the Alpha Angler for this year's drop shot fishing. If the AA doesn't hold its own against the Steez (have a 7' ML and a 7' M), then I will punt that one down the road as well. Thanks for all the great posts, including the suggestion of other considerations, ie the Xtasy and the Phenix. Only 60 more days before we get to open water fishing in my area. Tight lines!!!

17. Member
    Just get the one you want. The only one that’s a little bit different is gonna be the Shimano X pride because that blank overall is a little bit stiffer and it’s not technically a drop shot rod. I’m kind of over the whole drop shot rod thing. I think all you need is a good medium light rod or a good medium rod that has a tip that gives a little bit. Because when you get a 5 pound plus fish on one of those drop shot rods it’s gonna noodle up. They’re good for open water. They’re just meant to sell people rods for drop shot. I mean they work. But I’ve had plenty of drop shot rods. I prefer something that’s over 7 feet. That has a good backbone. But also has a good tip that will give just enough to keep the fish pinned that’s all you need. Reel with a good drag and your good. I’ve used extra fast rods that were medium and noticed a huge difference in the ability to fight the fish. Compared to these medium light rods that give way too much. I don’t fish those rods at all anymore. I get the whole point about drop shot specific rods. Almost all these rods are designed to fish and open hook and have an extremely limber power curve. And they’re also short usually 6’10. They have a lot of give to put minimum pressure on the hook. But you lose a lot of fighting power when you do
    that. I’d rather fight the fish and have a better chance of getting him in the boat then have him win the fight. Doomsday tackle makes a really good 7’3 medium spinning. This rod has a really limber tip but a really solid back brown through the blank. It’s not the lightest thing ever but it’s a great rod for a drop shot and that’s it I’m gonna start using this season. It might not apply to everyone. But I prefer at least a 7 foot plus rod even for drop shot. Want to take up a lot more line to if the fish runs on you especially in the cover you’re gonna have a way better chance of getting them out of there. All those drop shot rods are made for open water. The only one that I’ve seen that’s a little bit more stiff. Is the G Loomis IMX Pro 822 to drop shot rod. That rods got some muscle. I’d look at that. I just don’t think they’re worth the price tag that’s all. Dobyns 742hp is really good too, and versatile. Do you wanna get a rod like that Dobbins that’ll handle a bigger fish and still handle any kind of drop shot you’re gonna throw
    Last edited by dropshot1$; 01-28-2023 at 11:21 PM.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dropshot1$ View Post
    Just get the one you want. The only one that’s a little bit different is gonna be the Shimano X pride because that blank overall is a little bit stiffer and it’s not technically a drop shot rod. I’m kind of over the whole drop shot rod thing. I think all you need is a good medium light rod or a good medium rod that has a tip that gives a little bit. Because when you get a 5 pound plus fish on one of those drop shot rods it’s gonna noodle up. They’re good for open water. They’re just meant to sell people rods for drop shot. I mean they work. But I’ve had plenty of drop shot rods. I prefer something that’s over 7 feet. That has a good backbone. But also has a good tip that will give just enough to keep the fish pinned that’s all you need. Reel with a good drag and your good. I’ve used extra fast rods that were medium and noticed a huge difference in the ability to fight the fish. Compared to these medium light rods that give way too much. I don’t fish those rods at all anymore. I get the whole point about drop shot specific rods. Almost all these rods are designed to fish and open hook and have an extremely limber power curve. And they’re also short usually 6’10. They have a lot of give to put minimum pressure on the hook. But you lose a lot of fighting power when you do
    that. I’d rather fight the fish and have a better chance of getting him in the boat then have him win the fight. Doomsday tackle makes a really good 7’3 medium spinning. This rod has a really limber tip but a really solid back brown through the blank. It’s not the lightest thing ever but it’s a great rod for a drop shot and that’s it I’m gonna start using this season. It might not apply to everyone. But I prefer at least a 7 foot plus rod even for drop shot. Want to take up a lot more line to if the fish runs on you especially in the cover you’re gonna have a way better chance of getting them out of there. All those drop shot rods are made for open water. The only one that I’ve seen that’s a little bit more stiff. Is the G Loomis IMX Pro 822 to drop shot rod. That rods got some muscle. I’d look at that. I just don’t think they’re worth the price tag that’s all. Dobyns 742hp is really good too, and versatile. Do you wanna get a rod like that Dobbins that’ll handle a bigger fish and still handle any kind of drop shot you’re gonna throw
    This is where I have landed. I decided to go with a medium to have a little more muscle when I am chasing 5 lb smallies, knowing I can just loosen the drag on my reel if I go light line (6 lb test leader). Then I can use the rods I am drop shotting with for other techniques. This season I am going with the prior generation Steez 7' Medium Power Fast Action when nose hooking baits, and the prior generation NRX 7'1" Med Power X Fast tip when texas rigging baits. Both a little "more" stick than I have used in the past, but both will not leave me underpowered if I hook into a bigger fish.

You mentioned the IMX PRO DSR. Do you think that has more backbone than any other G Loomis DSR rod, or is that just a rod you have used that you feel has a ton of backbone for a DSR rod??

19. Member
    I decided to go with a medium to have a little more muscle when I am chasing 5 lb smallies, knowing I can just loosen the drag on my reel if I go light line (6 lb test leader).
    I have a slightly different take - Open water, big smallies, light line/small hooks, I prefer a rod that will load deeper and quicker into the mid section than something more versatile fishing 4 - 6lb fluoro leaders. The best drag in the world is not going to make up for a rod that doesn't want to load deep and quick. Drag is not going to help you mid-jump, that's all rod taper and a slower recovery from a deeper bend. I also fish a heavier drag setting then back off after the hookset...sometimes you're just not fast enough to the dial with a lunatic smallie surging/jumping a split second after feeling the hook; a more moderate rod will save your bacon there too. With braid to leader you can penetrate past the barb on those thin wired DS hooks with an ugly stick, so there's really no lack of power for that application.

But I see your point as well - that kind of DS rod is not very versatile at all. But I do enough DS for smallies (and similar techniques with light line) that a dedicated rod is warranted, even on a kayak where I only take 3 setups with me.

20. Member
    The medium steez has a pretty solid parabolic bend to it which is why I use that one for light wise nose hooks and light leaders. It's the previous generation steez, so it's not as stiff as the new generation steez. I have a super high-end Iowa spinning reel on that rod, so I have a ton of confidence in the drags performance when I'm fishing light line. I also have a medium light version of that same rod but I like to use for Ned Rigs, but will throw a drop shot on it if the situation really dictates. Super light line and super finicky fish.

The NRX is just too stiff for nose hooking, which is why I use it only for Texas rig drop shot setups. Typically I am using Texas rig setups around cover so I am using slightly heavier leaders, 10 lb and 12 lb. This setup is ridiculously sensitive.

Quote Originally Posted by reason162 View Post
    I have a slightly different take - Open water, big smallies, light line/small hooks, I prefer a rod that will load deeper and quicker into the mid section than something more versatile fishing 4 - 6lb fluoro leaders. The best drag in the world is not going to make up for a rod that doesn't want to load deep and quick. Drag is not going to help you mid-jump, that's all rod taper and a slower recovery from a deeper bend. I also fish a heavier drag setting then back off after the hookset...sometimes you're just not fast enough to the dial with a lunatic smallie surging/jumping a split second after feeling the hook; a more moderate rod will save your bacon there too. With braid to leader you can penetrate past the barb on those thin wired DS hooks with an ugly stick, so there's really no lack of power for that application.

But I see your point as well - that kind of DS rod is not very versatile at all. But I do enough DS for smallies (and similar techniques with light line) that a dedicated rod is warranted, even on a kayak where I only take 3 setups with me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12