Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass-o-maticjm View Post
    Keep it as is and let your partner throw his tackle bag/boxes under there so they're out of the way, or enclose it and either add a hinge to the top or the back. After having an extended deck similar to that on my previous 193, I really miss it in my current boat.
    I will probably leave it as is for now until I get to use the boat more and give me a better of idea on what I want to do. I just know in the past we always utilized that space for co angler storage or a day box to throw scale, rain jackets, cull beam etc in. It is nice to have the dry storage of a sealed box. I'm sure for the foreseeable future it will be a diaper bag, snacks, toys, and wife's bag.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    When I get home, I will check my brochures, but I am sure that center section between rod/storage lockers, was simply carpeted. Sounds like your previous owner was busy changing things around. The carpet covered add-on deck is good, too, but I don’t care for putting batteries in there!

Thanks Lea. I agree, batteries are getting moved asap! I asked about the center section because I just didn't see why champion would build a boat from the factory with two ridges that stuck up in the floor for people to step on. Not a huge deal you just don't see stuff like that in the fit and finish of today's bass boats. I had also seen many of the older 20+ foot models that have the drop in deck insert. Didn't know if this was made for something like that.

The boat had two previous owners that I know of. Yes, the previous owner seemed to prioritize function over fashion. I have found a few things that leave me scratching my head but that has always been my experience buying used boats. Part of the fun I guess!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 191 champ View Post
    That Is a really nice boat, congrats. I had a 96 190 for about 16 years and loved it. I didn't read everything but will comment on a few things.

The tach probably has a selector switch for 2, 4, and 6 cylinders. Sometimes you can simply just move the switch back and forth a few times and fix your bouncing tach, I assume just some corrosion. It fixed mine for a while but by the time it started messing up again I had added a smart gauge and didn't need it anymore.

I get why he moved the batteries up front if he installed a 3.0 liter 200. I did and it really woke that boat up. It actually ran moderate chop better, BUT, the extra weight made it sit too low in the water. Sitting still, waves would crash over the back onto the back deck sometimes. Also, it badly affected the low speed operation. I recall that with the 2.5 200 it could stay on plane around 18 mph. After the 3.0, the slowest it would stay on plane was about 25 mph. This could be a problem in really tough water. Thus, moving the batteries forward was probably a good idea. That said, if you are running a 2.5, you're probably better moving them back where they originally located.

Regarding the 36 volt system, I ran a 70 pound thrust and fished the Potomac River, upper chesapeake bay and most tributaries, the James River, chicahomany River, and a bunch of rivers leading into the bay. There only a few places on the chick where I felt under powered. My $,02 is that unless you fish a lot of high current rivers, the 24v, thrust is probably fine.
    I don't know whay the ribs are there, I don't recall mine having a serious problem and only a
    N inconvenience occasionally.
    Thanks! I appreciate the info. I will definitely try messing with the Tach before I toss it for a new one. I hate to admit my ignorance here, but I don't even know how to tell the difference of the 2.5 vs the 3.0. How do I know which one I have?

When I can afford a new trolling motor, (not anytime soon) I will probably opt for a 24v just so I can save weight, space, and battery cost by eliminating a battery. 90% of my fishing will be on Sam Rayburn and Toledo Bend with possibly an occasional trip to check out other East Texas Lakes. I really think a 24v will suffice. Thanks for all the advice

4. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    OK, As I thought, Brochure shows plain carpeted flooring between storage/rod lockers.

5. Member
    You can post the motor vin number on the mercury board and they will tell you what size motor you have.

On my 190, I don't think I could have fit a third TM battery in the bilge if I had wanted to because of the gas tank. Your tank may be different. You might want to measure carefully before changing things. That could be why the previous owner put them up front. I was about to fall asleep on my last response and didn't even think about it. But yeah, the 3.0 made it sit pretty dang low in the water. With anyone on the back deck, the splash well drain tubes were partly submerged.

6. Member
    Great story about a great boat! Congrats and looks great.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 191 champ View Post
    You can post the motor vin number on the mercury board and they will tell you what size motor you have.

On my 190, I don't think I could have fit a third TM battery in the bilge if I had wanted to because of the gas tank. Your tank may be different. You might want to measure carefully before changing things. That could be why the previous owner put them up front. I was about to fall asleep on my last response and didn't even think about it. But yeah, the 3.0 made it sit pretty dang low in the water. With anyone on the back deck, the splash well drain tubes were partly submerged.

Thanks for the info! I posted on the Mercury forum yesterday and according to those guys, I have a 2.5L. That's a relief to me as I really did want the boat sitting too low in the rear and having to deal with the water over the splash Well.

Here is a picture of the rear compartment with batteries in place. I believe I've got plenty of room for everything. Yours was different than this? You see any reason I shouldn't proceed forward as originally planned?
    IMG_6214.jpg

8. Member
    Well life has been in the way and I haven't gotten around to updating my progress. I'm Gonna try to update this thread while I am off for thanksgiving break. I was able to get most of the big projects on the boat finished and got it moved to the lake house garage. I thoroughly enjoyed working on it...but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited for that part to be behind me. (My Wife more so lol) Now on my days off I can actually go fishing or take the boat out instead of working on the darn thing. And my wife gets her carport back so she is happy. Now that Football season is over for me....I plan to hit the lake and get some long needed time on the water. Pics and Progress to come....

9. Member
    Good luck and keep us updated.

10. Member
    Next up was the electrical project. I was a little intimidated to tackle this....but I really wanted reliability on the water and peace of mind knowing things are safe and done right to eliminate future headaches. I also knew it was going to cost me some money and time, but still well worth the investment IMO. I wanted things set up to my liking with fuse box, easy access to breakers and charging ports, cleanly run wiring etc... and if I was that far into it, it only made sense to go ahead and rewire the whole thing. After hours of planning and research, I dove in. First step was removing all old existing wiring. It didn't take long to feel better about my decision when I found multiple suspect connections, burnt wire, wire nuts with rusted connections, inadequate wire or fuse sizes, bare wire showing etc. Here are a few pictures of the wiring I pulled out of the boat.

Trolling Motor wire ran through the rod locker. Was under sized and the wrong type of wire.
    IMG_5856 (1).jpg
    Lights were wired into rod boxes but loose hanging wire and electrical tape connections
    IMG_5858 (1).jpgIMG_6036.jpg
    Rusty connections caused by wire nuts
    IMG_6008 (1).jpgIMG_6030 (1).jpgIMG_6007 (1).jpg
    Janky loose connections, some didn't even have electrical tape to cover bare wire
    IMG_6009 (1).jpgIMG_6031 (1).jpgIMG_7561.jpg
    melted wire
    IMG_6034 (1).jpg
    Original wiring harness that was ran through gunnel to the bow. Nav lights were about the only thing left being used
    IMG_5999 (1).jpgIMG_5989 (1).jpg
    Old trolling motor wires left running in gunnel but not being used.
    IMG_5897.jpg
    Last edited by CoachClark; 12-05-2023 at 11:41 AM.

11. Member
    ALMOST all of the wiring that I removed from the boat.
    IMG_7559 (1).jpg
    Attachment 537597

Old Trolling motor wire hanging in the bilge area unused
    IMG_5896.jpg
    Last edited by CoachClark; 12-05-2023 at 01:30 PM.

12. Member
    I played around on the computer to help map out the wiring and get things straight in my head. After a few different battery layouts I decide this one gave me the cleanest battery setup while allowing me to put breakers where I wanted.

Here is the rough drawing but doesn't show all the details
    Battery Setup 3.png

13. Member
    Let the fun begin! The first of many Amazon orders delivered to the house. I spent the money and bought all marine grade stuff and from Blue Sea Systems on just about everything. Tinned copper Wire, Fuse Blocks, breakers, perko switch, Lugs, Butt connectors, heat shrink etc. I'll admit, the cost adds up quicker than I anticipated...and I ended up needing several more things to get it how I wanted so I lost track of how much the rewire cost me.
    IMG_5861.jpg

14. Member
    A big job, but somebody has to do it !
    Good call on the re-wire.

15. Member
    I began the rewire with a new trolling motor plug and receptacle from Marinco. I had to make new panels to mount them on as the old ones were not original and had been rigged with whatever material someone had laying around. I used ABS plastic ordered from Amazon. I cut the square panels with a miter saw with a wood blade, and the round holes for the receptacle with a hole saw. The miter saw works pretty well because it was quick, but the hole saw had a tendency to heat up and melt the plastic a little as it is cutting. Not a big deal, it still came out great...but I got cleaner holes by letting it rest some to cool off. I filed/sanded the holes a little after to clean the edges up. I think using a router to round the edges of the panel might class it up a little, but it works for now.

Marinco 70 Amp plug I used. The original plug was a small cheapo walmart plug not rated for bigger trolling motors. No clue how it hadnt burnt down yet, but I got a heavy duty one rated for the 36v trolling motor.
    IMG_0747.PNG

Front of the panel
    IMG_5992 (2).jpgIMG_5993 (2).jpg

Back of panel
    IMG_5995 (2).jpgIMG_5994 (2).jpg

Wiring up the plug. I had previously wired the plug into the old wiring, so when I installed the new wiring I had to order more ferrules off Amazon. The plug only came with 3, so if you ever upgrade trolling motors or have to rewire, you'll need more.
    IMG_5996 (2).jpgIMG_5997 (2).jpgIMG_5998 (2).jpgIMG_0748.PNG

The original trolling motor wire was unused but still running through the gunnel so I was able to tape them together and pull the new wire through. I used 6 gauge Tinned copper wire from Ancor. (25ft roll of red and black)
    IMG_5899 (1).jpgIMG_5983 (2).jpgIMG_5900 (1).jpgIMG_0749.PNG

16. Member
    I was most excited to get started on the bilge area. For cleanliness and convenience, I wanted everything set up on breakers and switches...and mounted where it looked good and was easy to get to. I also felt better knowing I could cut the power off to everything when I left the boat at the lake house. During my research, I found a thread on here by "86 inches" and I really liked how he had his set up. I reached out to him and he was helpful getting me started in the right direction. Big thanks to him! I used his setup and pictures for reference...and tweaked mine as I went.

I used heavy duty poster board to for a template to make the panel and mounting holes. This panel will go in the bilge on the port side and will house the Charging port for the NOCO onboard battery charger, and the 60 amp breaker for Trolling Motor.
    IMG_6366.jpg

Test fitting into the template. All is good, time to cut the plastic
    IMG_6367.jpg

Placed template over ABS plastic, traced the holes, found the center, cut plastic with hole saw, then mounted onto the wall in the bilge where I wanted them.
    IMG_6368.jpgIMG_6369.jpg

I mounted the plate to use as a guide for the hole saw. Word of advice....Drill these holes BEFORE you put the gas tank back in! Luckily I had enough room to still get it drilled without removing the tank, but it would have been MUCH easier without the tank in the way. Because I had to drill at an angle, I had to take a file and make the fiberglass flush with the bottom of the hole to get the breakers to fit. It did give me an excuse to buy a new tool though! With not much room between the tank and wall, I had to buy a 90 degree screw driving adapter to drill the mounting holes. This added a little time and mess to the project, but still turned out great.
    IMG_6371.jpgIMG_6372.jpgIMG_6391.jpgIMG_6374.jpg

Mounting the charging port and TM breaker
    IMG_6381.jpgIMG_6383 (1).jpgIMG_6384 (1).jpg
    Last edited by CoachClark; 12-07-2023 at 01:25 PM.

17. Member
    Same process for the starboard side. This panel will be for 30 amp main breaker for all my electronics, as well as a battery cutoff switch to the motor.

IMG_6386.jpgIMG_6385.jpgIMG_6388.jpgIMG_6389.jpgIMG_6390.jpgIMG_6391 (1).jpg

18. Member
    Ran into a bit of a problem that might help someone down the road. I cut the inline fuse off the jack plate wiring because I was going to run it to the fuse block with everything else. After some reading, my blue sea fuse block has a 30 amp maximum for each slot. The Jack plate calls for a 40 amp fuse... (previous owner also had the wrong size fuse by the way with a 30 amp installed) It worked without blowing the fuse...but I wanted to do it right. The cheap solution was to just put another inline fuse coming off the battery for it....but I really didn't want to do that since I had spent so much time and effort trying to make everything else look clean and nice. Plus I liked the idea of having all fuses in one location for troubleshooting instead of having multiple inline fuses all over the boat...

I decided to put the jackplate on a 40 amp breaker instead of a fuse. I couldn't find anybody else who really did this...but I don't see why it would hurt. Plus, it would also allow me to turn power off to the jackplate as well to prevent my kid from raising and lowering the jackplate when playing in the boat like she loves to!
    I got lucky and had enough room. I cut a new panel and drilled another hole to mount it on the starboard side.

IMG_7527.jpgIMG_7528.jpgIMG_7529.jpg

19. Member
    Time to wire up the breakers and cut off switch.....

Had to buy a special crimping tool off amazon. It worked well. All tinned copper, with Marine Grade heat shrink. Got everything wired and mounted but forgot to take a final pic. I will upload one of bilge area later.

IMG_0755.PNGIMG_6377 (1).jpgIMG_6730 (1).jpgIMG_6707 (1).jpgIMG_6378 (1).jpg
    Last edited by CoachClark; 12-08-2023 at 10:11 AM.

20. Member
    Before I got too far into it, I wanted to get the fuse block wired in and hook up things as I go...just to make sure things work properly without getting ahead of myself. The fuse block was originally just laying in the bilge area, but I decided it might be best to move it under the console. This will keep it out of a damp/humid bilge environment, and will allow much easier access troubleshooting on the water. It's a lot easier to get under the console than in the bilge area when on the water. This would also allow shorter runs to my switch panels and toggle switches on the dash, making adding accessories in the future much easier. It will still be protected from rain and the elements and is made to be waterproof/resistant.

Blue Sea fuse block mounted under driver console. I drilled holes through the rod locker wall and mounted the fuse block with bolts.

IMG_6972 (1).jpg

Beginning to get things hooked up. I ordered wiring with the protective jacket for a cleaner look, as well as allowing me to label it for easier troubleshooting.
    IMG_7490 (1).jpgIMG_7194 (1).jpg

Getting wiring tidied up and ready to be hid in cable sleeves
    IMG_7586 (1).jpg

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast