For wthom12, or anyone else having gas tank vent issues

Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

2. Member
    Did you modify the gas cap?

yeah confused here,but I assume it concerns this post...

Quote Originally Posted by utinator View Post
    Have you noticed air being sucked in when you remove the gas cap? These boats are known to have fuel-vent issues. If it can't get air in as you burn fuel, it will collapse the fuel tank. The tank will only collapse so far before the fuel supply gets constrained. Less fuel = less mph. The tank needs to vent so you can get full fuel.

Mine started running about 65mph until I figured out how to bypass the fuel tank vent system. Now, it's back to normal. I'm getting about 68-70mph with a cheapo 4-blade. That's about what it was running with that 4-blade before the fuel-vent issue. I haven't tried my 3-blade yet. The lakes are still low, so I keep the "beater" 4-blade on there.

4. Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    yeah confused here,but I assume it concerns this post...
    Exactly...it's probably not EPA compliant, so I don't want to elaborate here. If you know, you know...
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

Quote Originally Posted by utinator View Post
    Exactly...it's probably not EPA compliant, so I don't want to elaborate here. If you know, you know...
    Was looking at mine yesterday when filling up... Going to do this as well. Definitely noticing the "whoosh" when opening the gas cap at times.

well just a PSA, don't do this mod if you like to keep your tank full... you will "vent" gas down the side of your boat going down the road due to venturi effect I guess. :(. Once you burn off a few gallons it's a non issue, though. I typically fill up after every outing to prevent any condensation build up in the tanks, so this was a $45 lesson for me...

8. Member
    This happens when you put too much gas into the gas tanks. If you top of your tanks after the pump stops on its own, you then are putting fuel into the vent line. This fills gas into the charcoal canister and causes vapor lock.

9. Member
    + 1 densik use to happen to me