Thread: Fuel leak

Banned

Fuel leak

Serial: 2B018828
    Model: 1150P73EY

What I originally thought was a bad tracker valve, due to the motor revving up at start up for about 3-5 seconds, turns out it was not that. Since I took it out and inspected it, looked fine. There was some sediment in there though, so wasn't a bad thing to get that cleaned out.

I'm assuming the revving was due to fuel vapor under the cowl? I'm just glad I didn't have a fire when I was on the lake and this started happening.

Hooked up to muffs at home and started it up, noticed fuel spewing out of the line on the top of the VST. It looks like the crimp is failed, or the line shrank which caused it to lose it's seal. Either way, I was able to pull that fitting out that far rather easily.

Can I cut that oetiker clamp off and use a worm clamp?

2. Member
    I wouldn't. Best course of action would be to contact Rhonda and get the correct oetiker clamp.

If you want to order or price Mercury Engine Parts
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Member
    best not to use screw clamps there thats unregulated pressure and a leak could be a fire hazard , as suggested get the correct clamp and replace it , takes a 15.3 size most common clamp on all optis
    Last edited by JOE54; 01-16-2023 at 09:42 AM. Reason: move decimal point on size of clamp
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Banned
    The only thing I can think is to clamp up higher on the hose closer to the barb. You can see I was able to pull that fitting out of the hose just over 1/4" to where the barb can't fit through the clamp.

Maybe I'll cut this one off and put two on there. I'd rather not have to replace that entire line.

Also going to replace that o-ring while I have access to it. Because why not.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Get a new 856880 clamp and properly reinstall.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Get a new 856880 clamp and properly reinstall.
    Thanks for the part number! Ordered a 5 pack, because why not.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Used in a number of places on that engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Used in a number of places on that engine.
    I noticed that while looking around at everything. Once I found that leak I started pulling and checking on every other connection from induced paranoia. Of all things to go wrong with an engine a fuel leak under the cowl is my worst nightmare. I can only imagine that a good number of people don't notice it until it's too late and experience a fire or explosion.

This engine being almost 9 years old it's probably a good idea to get in to the practice of checking these connections more often. I do my yearly maintenance, but will start popping the cowl off every couple months to look things over.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good practice to inspect for fuel leaks before every outing.