Fishing local rivers in the winter

This will be my first time fishing rivers in winter and am looking for some insight. One of my concerns is presenting baits in current when the water is in the
    low 40's. I Assume the bass will be deeper but with current do they tend to position themselves so they don't have to fight the current?
    Should I look for areas where the current is not as strong? I'm thinking I would use the standard wintertime baits as I would in a lake or should I use
    something different.
    Thanks

2. Member
    It may blow your mind how shallow some tidal bass are in the winter. If you can find slower deeper holes, they are loaded with all species.

3. Member
    James River is so full of wing dam / jetty walls for you to explore. The eddy behind each is obvious but know that the water is very still IN FRONT of each one also and much less swirling trash. Enjoy. PM me some crappie info.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

4. Member
    Thanks for the comments. I’ll let you know how I do when I’m able to get out there on a decent day.

5. Member
    Shakey head, suspending jerkbait, jig, spinnerbait, crankbait and silver buddy. I try to target the warmest water I can find…..as long as it is both clear & pretty shallow. IMHO, Tidal bass tend to feed better in moving water (falling/rising tide and or areas with current or wind) than compared to areas devoid if current (slack tide).
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC