Yamaha 250 SHO (freeze temps)

After freezing temps for 3 nights, i bought my boat to local boat mechanic to get yearly oil change, lower unit oil change etc...
    He calls me and says I have water leaking into engine oil. The last time i took boat out it ran normal, fish all day. He said it may have a cracked head from the freeze. The only preventative steps I took before the freeze was to raise/lower engine to drain water.
    Has anyone heard of this before?

Thanks

2. Member
    I call BS on this. My Skeeter is always outside. We have had sub zero days here already this year and many times in the past with no issues. I doubt you ever reached 20 degrees.

No way this was due to freezing.

I'd more likely guess a little condensate in the oil causing your problem.

All I have ever done is drain the water from the motor.

3. Member
    PS: We've been below freezing at night with a couple exceptions this week for the past two months.

4. Member
    What year is the motor?
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

5. Member
    It's a 2017 SHO . 250 hours,

I just picked up boat to bring it home , I am going to put the rabbit ears on it to see if i find any water in oil.

6. Member
    He likely saw condensation under the oil filler cap. With temperature changes the yellow oil fill cap will sometimes hold a little bit of froth. Its perfectly normal.

7. Member
    Who did you bring your boat to that told you that?

8. Member
    I'd just go fishing. Run it until it gets good and warm. Check the oil when you get home.

Don't know why Yamaha couldn't make it easier to check the oil. What a PITA to pull the cowl for something some simple.

9. Member
    It is agrivating to pull the cowl every time to check the oil which I do regularly.. I’ve thought about cutting a hole where the dipstick can be pulled out and make some sort of cover for the hole. Maybe Chad Ashmore or one of the add on boat products will come up with something.