Thread: Cave Run Lake

Cave Run Lake

I just moved to the NKY area and wanted to know if Cave Run has decent bass fishing.

2. Member
    I BELIEVE IT IS PRETTY TUFF FISHING,CHECK RESULTS FROM USA BASSIN TS THERE.sorry didnt the caps was on

3. Member
    I BELIEVE IT IS PRETTY TUFF FISHING,CHECK RESULTS FROM USA BASSIN TS THERE.sorry didnt the caps was on. they have a regional tournament -poor results

4. Member
    PM sent.

5. Member
    It can be very tough.

6. Member
    It can be a tough lake for sure. I think the slot makes tournament results a tough way to measure it though. Quality fish can be caught there as well as number of smaller fish. April-June is probably the best time to fish it. Stay out of the river section unless you want to hit a tree or three. I think a smallmouth stocking program would be the most beneficial thing they could do, but musky do seem to take priority. Hope this helps.

7. Member
    Assume these muskies eat bass?

8. Member
    No, I live 20 mins from Cave Run Lake. Crappie fishings ok, bass fishing sucks.

9. Member
    Musky do eat some bass. Not their primary forage but they're opportunistic meat eaters. They won't see one and not eat it because its a bass.

I live 15 minutes from the lake and I'd give the opposite view on bass and crappie. The crappie are abundant, but extremely unhealthy.

10. Member
    Coming from Texas, I’m kind of surprised Kentucky doesn’t have better fishing. I had good luck on Dale Hollow last month, but I’ve had a couple of people PM me and say welcome to bass fishing hell. Texas has big fish, but it’s easy to get skunked on any lake near Dallas because of the pressure.

11. Member
    Most lake in Kentucky can't support Florida strain which severely hurts growth rates/size. Then a ton of lakes in Kentucky are flood control which routinely messes with spawns. Take KY and Barkley for example. They had back to back years of record flooding around the spawn several years back which directly correlates to the decline in fishing down there. A lot of these lakes are also tucked away in little mountain areas that are lacking good farmland around which leads to less fertile waters. Kentucky is definitely no Texas or Alabama, but it is still better than the majority of states it borders.

12. Member
    Didn’t think about flood control. That makes more sense. I have always heard the native bass bite better. When we got big temperature drops, you can’t get a F1 to bite anything. They shut down completely.

13. Member
    Absolutely true Donkey. F1 are more prone to weather/water fluctuations. They just grow a lot faster (if the conditions are right). Its why you see a slot limit on the lake. Lake is full of 8-10 inch bass to the detriment of larger bass. The lake is very cyclic as well. Late 90s it fished fantastic then took a sharp decline. Milfoil became abundant and fishing slowly improved. A couple flooding springs eliminated the milfoil and fishing predictably went back down. Now you have a mix of 3 types of grass including hydrrilla. Fishing seems to be improving and if they can get the hydrilla under control, will continue to improve. This year they are dropping the slot an inch on both ends. I think you'll see an increase in tournament weights at the top end but a decrease in overall weights as under fish will be smaller. Catch rates should stay the same or increase. A lot just depends on what the spring rains do. Hope this helps.

14. Member
    It has hydrilla? God, we begged them to stop spraying it in Texas lakes. We had a petition and everything going. There are only a few lakes (mostly in East Texas) that have hydrilla. There’s not a lake within an hour of DFW with hydrilla. They and the home owners spray it. It’s been my experience, the more grass, the bigger the fish. When Lake Fork and Ray Roberts had a ton of grass, they fished so much better. I with they’d bring it back. I almost loaded my live wells with it and dumped it in Ray Roberts, but I’m pretty sure they’d take your boat if they caught you.

15. Member
    Hydrilla in Kentucky (at least Eastern) doesn't do like it does in southern lakes. It doesn't top out and make canopies like it does down south because it seems to grow slower. Virtually all it does it create a boggy mess that larger fish can't get into. At least my observation around here.