Don a question on shifting

Serial # 1b785368
    I bought the motor used.
    I have only ran the motor once so far and noticed right off that when trying to shift from Neutral to forward and to reverse it is very stiff.
    While doing Maint work tonight I put the WP in and when I got it all back together, I was just looking to see if I could see something that would make it stiff, I took the shifter cable off and gearshifter works smooth.
    So I am assuming it is something on the motor side but I have no clue what it could be.
    Do you have something that you normally see or have any ideas for me to look into?

2. Member
    shift switch operating ?????? using merc high perf gear oil ?????? linkages not binding ????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Shift switch I assume is in the bracket where the slide is? It seems to be working correctly.
    Used Merc High Perf Gear oil in LU.
    Can not see anything binding that I can tell.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Look under the shift relay arm for evidence of it rubbing the lower cowling on the port side.

If it is, the arm is likely bent (often occurs from attempting to shift when the engine is OFF).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

looked tonight and see nothing that looks like the arm is rubbing the lower cowling.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    When you reinstall the shift cable, make sure that the plastic washer is on, then snug the locknut.

Finally, BACK THE NUT OFF 3/4-1 turn so that the plastic washer turns freely under the nut (very important). Missing this step can cause hard shifting, too.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor