Thread: smoking motor

smoking motor

four stroke 225 hp motor serial #2b776205 has been smoking on start up since bought it. Was told by mercury several times this is normal, it i still doing it with 327.2 hours on it. Before it goes bad or have a problem out of warranty is their someone I can speak to at mercury that might be able to help me with this problem?

2. Member
    trimming up when shut off helps I believe, trimming all the way down when shut off causes consumption. all new engine use some oil cars and boats due to epa rules rings too loose and crankcase too sealed up
    Last edited by mactlman; 02-06-2023 at 05:02 PM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    Where is the oil level on the dipstick? It is not supposed to be to the full line or near it. If it is that could be the problem.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Both of the above topics can be contributors. Parking the engine with positive trim when shut off is important, and covered in the engine owner's manual.

Oil level at or above 50% in the safe zone can also contribute.

Address both items properly and not only may it smoke less, you may potentially get better life from the spark plugs.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

If the boat sits for a few months for winter trimmed down should I expect it to smoke some in the spring?

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quite possibly. Manual states to park engine with slightly positive trim (after draining water).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    So where was the oil level on the dipstick?

8. Member
    seems like i have it up a bit. had open heart surgery oct 25 still did not leave boat parked for a couple months.