Lower swivel bushing shot on steering arm.

So, my lower swivel bushing has a ton of slop. I am getting ready to order parts to repair it. Question is for those that may have done this before. Have you found the steering arm also shot from the bushing being worn out? I am thinking it is but just curious to see if others didn't have to. 225 EFI sn OT749027
    Last edited by FeFanatic; 01-12-2023 at 07:25 AM.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

Please read the rules above and provide all required information
    Suspect swivell shaft, yoke and adaptor plate gaskets minumum
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    most wear is usually in yoke spline area ones ive seen
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Same mine I had to replace the shaft and yoke because of the splines wore out.

5. Member
    This is not a spline issue. Spline and yoke are tight. This is a lot of slack in the shaft to the housing.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FeFanatic View Post
    This is not a spline issue. Spline and yoke are tight. This is a lot of slack in the shaft to the housing.
    You may be correct but I thought mine was just the bushing until I got it apart and found that not to be the case. If you are indeed lucky and it's just the bushing the shaft will probably be ok unless it has been run a long time worn out.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FeFanatic View Post
    replace bushings you're fortunate
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    When you get it apart, place the lower yoke onto the swivel shaft and see how much it will walk or rock around on the splines. Often is the culprit.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Well guys, you were right. After taking some brakekleen and getting that greasy mess cleaned up it's obvious it's the splines. So, any chance it's just the yoke?

not likely, but I think you can replace the yoke with out pulling the powerhead by removing the snap ring and the lower mount bolts, then I think the motor will lift enough to slide the yoke out. I have not tryed this as I insist on replacing all the worn parts when I touch it
    Thank You Leon Pugh

11. Member
    I'm showing the pin as p/n 67706A55 and not available. I'm going to take a closer look and see if there is a better way. Possibly pinning the yoke or splitting and drilling bolt holes to clamp it tighter if I can't find a new part.

12. Member
    superseded to 826432a2 stainless steel , wouldnt be drilling on steering parts , powerhead must come off engine lower motor mount bolts are the problem cant be removed until exhaust housing is slid back form swivle bracket , when you raise power head you raise midsection good luck JOE

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    superseded to 826432a2 stainless steel , wouldnt be drilling on steering parts , powerhead must come off engine lower motor mount bolts are the problem cant be removed until exhaust housing is slid back form swivle bracket , when you raise power head you raise midsection good luck JOE
    Thanks Joe, forgot those bolts came in from the backside, nuts out front
    Thank You Leon Pugh

14. Member
    In reality,the only way to cure this problem permanently is with a stainless swivel pin-steering arm and stainless yoke.I replaced the bushings and seals several times but the issue always came back.These pieces are costly but I was lucky to find used pieces in excellent shape at a reasonable price.You may find that the pin has worn down in the top of the bracket causing excess clearance between the yoke and the bottom of the bracket.This can be fixed with adding shims at the top of the swivel pin till the clearance is right.Get the seals,bushings,and a new bottom retaining ring.If you plan on keeping this motor,probably worth the effort.